jeet kune do tree

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by LeeGreg89, Feb 6, 2005.

1. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

yeah but given permission to teach jkd by dan inosanto

2. tel

taky kimura and james lee where given highest ranks and permission to teach jun fan.dan inosanto was the highest rank in jkd.and only person BL gave permission to teach jkd

3. El Mastero

El Mastero New Member

Here's the point I'm trying to make. Bruce Lee toyed around with a ranking system. He gave out certificates to a couple of people in all 3 schools back in 1967. Sometime later, he had all three schools closed and gave them permission to teach a handful of students. They (Lee, Kimura and Inosanto) weren't the only 3 people given permission to teach by Bruce Lee either. But none were given permission to certify anyone. Now let me just add that Bruce Lee died in 1973. That's 5 years of no one being certified in anything because he abandoned the whole ranking system. AKA those certificates were only relevant in 1967 after that they became meaningless and irrelevant.

I also read about some other strange things involving those certificates that were given out. Like date's that didn't add up, blank & signed (by Bruce Lee) certificates being used to certify people after Lee's death etc. etc. But since I don't have the information in front of me and can't provide a link, I'll abstain from commenting further on it.

4. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

that's hilarious. i seriously doubt ted needs dan inosanto's permission to teach.

5. El Mastero

El Mastero New Member

I didn't catch that till you commented on it. lol

----

Ted Wong was a student of Bruce Lee's longer than Dan Inosanto. Bruce Lee even told Dan Inosanto once to consider Ted Wong his senior. Dan Inosanto doesn't dispute this. According to Taky Kimura, even after Bruce Lee opened the LA kwoon, he would still come down to where Taky lived atleast 3 times a year and would get together to train and kept Taky updated on what he was working on. So Taky had a first hand account of Bruce Lee art through most of it's progressions.

Also, I've mentioned before that Bruce Lee closed all three schools. What I left out was that there was really only one school that was open (aka only one school really closed). At the time that people say Bruce Lee ordered all three schools closed, James Lee was teaching out of his garage and Taky was teaching out of his shop. They continued teaching a small group of students as they always did, even after this event. The only real school that physically closed it's doors was the LA kwoon where Dan Inosanto use to assist Bruce Lee. He was then given permission to teach a few people out of his backyard if he wanted.

So Taky always taught as he did before and after Bruce Lee's death.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  6. tel

yeah did drop the certi but u are wrong when u said that BL allowed more than then three to teach.everyone else is under either taky or dan inosanto bottom line.
    as for wrong dates never heard this,who is supposed to have these bogus certificates?.
    dan and taky where allowed to teach at their homes.
    also BL closed schools because wanted to concentrate on his own training.

7. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

that wasn't the reason Bruce closed down the school. He was already concentrating on his own training well before that point.

8. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

This is just my opinion after Years and Years of research. Bruce Lee closed his school down because people at the schools where taking there training as the truth. Bruce wanted to teach the principles and have them abide by the principles and then dissovle the principles. In that order, this was not happening at the time he closed his school's.

Also...Bruce Lee took five of his "Top Student's" to train at his house. My Sifu was one of them. So I say " If Bruce Lee did not highly appreciate Jerry Poteets skill level and what he was about.....Do you think he would have been able to come over his house to train for free?"

The five people are shown in a picture together with Bruce Lee. Also......Do you think that after Bruce Lee die.....When Mrs. Lee was putting together "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" that she would have ask Sifu Jerry Poteet to be one of the guys to help put it together......If he wasn't respected as a student or friends with Bruce Lee himself....I personly don't thinks.

Take It Easy, :D
    John

9. tel

sorry but disagree simply because this FACT was stated by more then one of his students.

10. tel

agree with you.this was the other reason Bl closed down his schools

11. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

This is also not right info you speck of here....Sifu Jerry Poteet on his first series of tapes put in a plug for Dan Inosantos....this is a fact.....please HKD....we are all here to learn......and we all need facts and opinions here....your opinion is one which I respect....but not when you make a claim without the facts....the facts are out their for us to find and research for ourself....not because someone has told us so.....Good luck to you in your training in the future. :)

Take It Easy,
    John

12. tel

erm think u should have a look before posting things where u seem to have no clue dan inosanto was the ONLY man to be giving permission to teach in his backyard. it is through Dan inosanto that others gained the authority to teach jkd.when bruce lee went to hong kong he left dan inosanto to look after jkd NO one else.i am not saying that people like wong,poteet are not good at what they do or have the knowledge.

13. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i'll accept that if you accept that wong was the only man allowed to teach from his frontyard, poteet out of his garage, and golden out of his attic.

14. tel

ok, they prob where,but by inosanto not BL

15. El Mastero

El Mastero New Member

I'm not wrong. Some people, other than James Lee, Taky Kimura and Dan Inosanto have claimed that they were given permission by Bruce to teach a handfull of students. The only person that I can say I believe is Jesse Glover. Jesse Glover was Bruce Lee's first student in America. He even helped instruct some of the classes when Bruce Lee wasn't around. He continued teaching people after Bruce Lee left Oakland and they even met up one time after that but they did lose touch for a while. But Jesse Glover teaches non-classical Gung Fu no Jeet Kune Do.

As JKD students? Yes. The people under James Lee's lineage consider what they do as Jun Fan Gung Fu (if I'm not mistaken). Taky Kimura does mostly the Jun Fan Gung Fu but he claims to have been updated on Lee's progression. Which I believe. Ted Wong may not have recieved as high a certificate as Dan Inosanto back in 1967 but who knows how far he may have been ranked had Bruce Lee kept the ranking system? So I believe he is very knowledge in JKD. The other OBLS usually fall under Bruce Lee directly or under Bruce Lee and Dan Inosanto.

I'm not getting into this right now. I don't have the info in front of me and I don't want to give false information.

Taky had been teaching at his shop and James in his garage before and after Bruce Lee even closed the LA kwoon. I have a few theories why he closed it. I'm at work so I may go into it later. Some people have touched on some of it already.

16. tel

the two reasons dan iosanto and few other dirst generation students say
    1) he wanted to concentrate on his training and two didnt want what he was teaching as the gospel truth

17. El Mastero

El Mastero New Member

From what I've read at one time Bruce Lee was going in a different direction. He was A) trying to create the perfect system and B) wanted to open up a chain of Gung Fu schools.

Now when he got to the US he had a few styles under his belt. Meaning some forms in different Gung Fu systems, not that he was a master of any. His core was Wing Chun which he learned from Yip Man and his senior Wong Shun Lueng (sp?). From the beginning he was modifying the system to fit him and to be more effective for the street but he kept the core of Wing Chun. Centerline theory, trapping and all that. Wing Chun guys would tell you that he only felt WC had weakness' because he didn't know the whole system. Either way, he started modifying it from day one. An incident (fight) with a Gung Fu practioner didn't go as well as he would have liked so he really reved up and started to adapt new ideas from different systems and new training methods to his style. He was in search of the perfect system. He called his system, Jun Fan Gung Fu meaning Bruce Lee's Gung Fu. Not Wing Chun. Early on he knew that he was going on a different path. At some point he felt that he needed a new name because he wanted to show that his art wasn't bound by a country, culture or distinct art. Plus he needed it to be descriptive of his philosophy. So he eventually named it Jeet Kune Do (Way of the Intercepting Fist). That became the name of the system he was developing. Why developing? Because he was always evolving, JKD was fluid and not fixed. He later changed his mind on the whole idea of a perfect system and he felt that others needed to be on the same journey/path that he was on. He then wanted JKD to not be a stagnant system bound by it's creator but a tool one could use inorder to be free from it and able to explore one's own way as way.

As far as opening up a chain of schools. That was his first goal. He had a family and felt that this was the best way to become successful in America. He always did well with a handful of students. But this idea of opening up tons of schools would require giving people a crash course in his system and sending them out to open up satellite schools. But he would first have to train a ton of people at a big place inorder to get them to the level he wanted before they could represent his system/art. He was lucky that many of the guys that trained under him had prior triaining in other arts. Many of his students in the LA kwoon were former students of Ed Parker. So they had a base that he could work with and mold. At some point two things happened. His hollywood career was taking off and when one door opens another sometimes closes. He didn't have the time to devote to teach at his schools. Also, being able to teach large classes or even different schools to have each of the students follow his new philosophy of adaptablity really would have been counterproductive even leading to a fix system. So he decided to close the schools. He allowed people that he trusted who knew the philosophy of JKD to teach a handful of students because the best way to teach is through individual instruction. It's the best way one can mold his pupils and give them the philosophy inorder for them to grow and continue on their MA journey.

So that's why I felt that he closed down the schools.

Edited: For spelling mostly and some minor changes.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  18. El Mastero

El Mastero New Member

I can vouch for that. I own the early series of JKD tapes by Poteet and he does give props to Dan Inosanto. What I know of Jerry Poteet is that he trained in the LA kwoon with Dan Inosanto and Bruce Lee. Then he was handpicked to train with a group, privately at Bruce's house. How long did they train together? I have no clue. But he later continued his training under Dan Inosanto and was certified by Dan to teach JKD. I saw an early JKD family tree scanned from an old 1980's magazine. It had Jerry Poteet, Steve Golden and others on it. I also heard that Jerry Poteet is pretty good in the FMA that he learned from Inosanto. This is all from memory of stuff I read, so if I'm wrong please feel free to correct me. :)

19. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

El Mastero,
    My Sifu Jerry Poteet trained at Bruce Lee's house with four guys for over two years......two days a week......these guys where his students and not Dan Inosantos......they where his senior students in Jeet Kune Do. Not to take anything away from Dan Inosantos he was teaching at the LA kwoon ....while this five where learning Bruce's latest works at his house......Just like Yip Man have a bunch of students......but some trained with his senior students too......to get more knowledge......that he didn't have time to teach.......but they where still Yip Man's Students.

As far as FMA...you are not correct when you say here learned FMA from Dan Inosantos. Here the correct info: In 1977 Jerry Poteet became the first non-filipino certified in the Filipino Martial Arts by Master Leo Hiron in his Eskrima......He also was the first individual to create different burn patterns for the Eskrima/Kali sticks......which is still in use today.....He also teaches theatrical version for Film and Television....Some movies credits are Kevin Sorbo for Kull and Hercules T.V. Show......there are many more......I don't know if anyone knows here this......But he also trained Jason Scott Lee for the Film " The Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" base on Linda Lee's book about her Husband......As my teacher has said before " The weapon should be an extension of Self"......personally I have never seen before this type of simplicity with any weapon in anyone's hand before period. I hope this has cleared things up for you.

Take It Easy
    John :)

20. Len

Len Valued Member

You guys want facts. Here they are:

1. Bruce Lee had a bunch of students.
    2. Bruce Lee only certified 3 of them as instructors. One died before even he did which means only 2 are left.
    3.There is a reason why Bruce Lee certified only 3 out of all his students.
    4. Taky is certified in Jun Fan Gung Fu only and Dan is certified in that AND Jeet Kune Do.
    5. Dan Inosanto is the only surviving JKD teacher given permission to teach Jeet Kune Do directly from Bruce Lee.
    6. EVERY JKD teacher that has a certificate to teach and is not a fake comes from Dan Inosanto. That means Jerry Poteet, Larry Hartsell, Paul Vunak, Ted Wong, and anyone else that claims to teach JKD.
    7. So anyways all those guys learn under Dan regardless of previous training with Bruce. They learn JKD concepts (cause that is what Dan teaches) and then get certified as concepts teachers.
    8. After getting certified by Dan, most of them break away and say they teach "original JKD" as taught by Bruce Lee from the 60's ciriculum. The very thing Bruce closed his school downs for.....teaching the same thing without growing. Many of the students they certify as well as the original students themselves then turn their back on Dan and say he's wrong cause he muddies the waters of JKD with his concepts and fillipino style influences.
    9. Vunak and Hartsell stick by Dan's side.
    10. Thus starts the two different schools of JKD...Concepts and original when there should be only one: just Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do.

Those are all facts.