Jeet Kune Do or decent alternative martial art in Chelsea are of London?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by benuds, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

It's not ....just an observation after training in 3 JKD clubs in the london area..and hearing what a few others have to say about other clubs and their instructors too. If there is anyone with better or equal technical ability they are not as devoted to teaching as he is, and probably know him and train with him already.

Either way I'm just making a recommendation and would strongly recommend the individual to decide for themselves. It may not be their cup of tea or it may the thing they've been waiting for all their lives. The simplicity of his approach is not for everyone. As he wishes to keep his class small I'd prefer "Benuds" to contact me personally. I just guessed as Benuds has a background in the Nottingham club that it may be what he is looking for. If not ...all the best to him still.:D

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

So Master Betty back to your original insinuation that Bob Breens guys cant spar and what fighters has he produced (numerous) well we will just ignore that one shall we. Stickfighting not relevant to the street eh! You would know a lot about that then. After all we just swing a stick around like an irate bunch of Morris Dancers? I love people who totally misunderstand FMA usually they folly their comments with 'well what would you do now you have not got your stick?' thinking that's all we do? And as for knife not being relevant to street attacks are you pulling my wire here?

So back to your original insinuation of how Bob's guys cant spar and how many champions he has not produced. Lets not skip over it eh? And not just FMA which you obviously don't really understand. We can go to MMA/Vale Tudo. Muay Thai. Kickboxing. Full contact Karate. BJJ.

So how is it they cant spar.

Is Bob Top Class at all of them? Of course not no one is but if you want the best all rounder then you won't find better.

As I said don't make assumptions on youtube clips.

So how many champions have you produced over 40 plus years of teaching in various forms of full contact then? And where is your youtube footage of you so we can make assumptions too.

Best regards

Pat

3. Pat OMalley

Pheeeewwww! Tumble weed rolls past.

4. Pat OMalley

really well I would stop drinking the water mate because I counted 19 times on this thread alone and if that's how many fingures you got on one hand you need to see someone. :eek::)

5. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  6. mortimer657

mortimer657 Valued Member

Darren Wheelan...he and i were friends for a long time. He trained in a JKD/FMA blend. He was held at knife point and sprung into action with a well timed FMA stle attack. T He was knifed. The reason being no one will wave a knife at you, if they are going to do it they will just do it behind your back or similar situation when your not looking 99% of the time. If they wave it around in front of you a la Most jkd/fma videos then chances are they are all mouth and wont use the thing anyways

7. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

At least I'm not the only one who realises this.

8. Master Betty

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

We train to attack a knife with another knife/weapon in my JKD school - which videos have you seen that show otherwise?

10. Hannibal

This is where I agree with MB - at lot of styles (JKD included) cocoon themselves and become theorists on what they would do and then practice accordingly whether it is for the street or for dealing with another stylist (not the same thing at all).

I have trained against and with guys of a high level from other disciplines, both sport and otherwise. This develops my attributes and it is attributes than win fights not technique.

This is tempered by the ridiculously large number of confrontations I have encountered as an occupational hazard. None of them even remotely like sparring, but the concepts of distance and timing sparring gives you affords you the ability to pull the stuff off when it matters.

Now in the dim and distant recesses of this thread, MB lambasted a sparring drill calling it (paraphrase) rubbish and laughable. He is wrong and that is what we were trying to explain.

Compare the light and loose in that video with the sparring at the beginning of this clip

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ndY00cX48"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ndY00cX48[/ame]

It is a modified form of sparring for skill development and distance. Not everything needs you to glove up. I would challenge anyone to find two more capable fighters at "street level" than Geoff or Pete

So in summary, sparring = good - but there are different types of sparring

11. mortimer657

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysonX2QHDTk"]YouTube - Kali escrima knife disarm techniques[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THqrP5InI1Q"]YouTube - knife disarm eye jab Filipino Kali DVD[/ame]

Theres two i found using a really rapid search and picking the first two.

Im not aiming to slate the arts. Im all for people immersing themselves in something they are passionate about. However, im unashamedly all about the competetive/Combat sports. Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ, MMA..i love em all. And i personally strongly believe that they give their practitioners the edge when it comes to survival in life in general. Purely because nothing prepares you for getting a smack in the mouth and returning fire like a smack in the mouth itself i.e soft and hard sparring and competition. Im a big believer in the "fight or flight" theory, and nothing prepares someone for the stress of real combat than to engage in combat itself, albeit in a controlled environment in the ring or cage.

I know the usual counter argument to my point would be "but sports based arts have rules so are not effective in a street scenario"...Complete guff in my opinion as the people that use this counter are, insinuating that, for example, a boxer (which i have been for 20+ years) would stick to Queensbury rules if fronted up in a bar brawl. Doubtful. I think common sense would tell us, anyone knows the difference between a fight in the ring and one in a street/pub etc etc and would act accordingly. A boxer in the ring will stick to the rules set out in his/her sport.....if he/she is forced into a physical confrontation in a bar for example, im pretty sure they would go all out, hit below the waistline etc etc. The difference being they would have the footwork, slipping, bobbing, weaving and feinting and crisp delivery of punches to make the other guy work for it....add to that they are likely to be able to take a punch while continuing to give it back AND have superior physical conditioning to see it through, and you have all thats required to get the job done. Overall our theoretical boxer has been put through the mill and has the mettle to deal with the stress of combat because he's been engaged in it.

Faced with a knife and someone asking for my wallet, Rolex, and wedding ring etc...i'd give it to them or run away if possible. I honestly believe people who are told they can effectively deal with a knife wielding lunatic who may be totally desperate are being put, by their instructor, into a seriously dangerous position. Just my own opinion and i could well be very wrong..i hope i am for anyones sake who finds themselves in such a position.

Morti

12. mortimer657

And now, to address the OP, in my opinion you'll be better served finding a good Boxing, Muay Thai, MMA, Kickboxing or Kyokushin karate gym. Do your roadwork, do your HIIT...eat a good balanced diet rich in lean sources of protein, EFA's, fresh fruit and vegetables and complex carbs (amount depending on goal, i.e maintenance, cutting, bulking or maximising power to weight ratio) and rack up the time on the pads, bag and sparring..perhaps compete. Source of info::Boxed for 20+ years and recently branched off into MMA at south coast submissions and kickboxing at SKA.

Again all my own opinion...take everyones advice on board and form your own choice based on some self study. Best of luck and most importantly ..enjoy yourself.

Morti.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would not disagree with much of the above, but what is the point of showing the two FMA knife disarm clips.

I would argue that FMA has some of the best knife defence drills in martial arts. I would say though that those of us in FMA probably respect the knife more than many other arts and know these techniques are definately not to be taken for granted.

14. mortimer657

SimonS, i only posted them at Hannibals request as per quote above.

Again dont get me wrong its not that i dont rate the FMA's, its just i prefer sports based arts as an individual. I think all arts have something to offer.

Morti

15. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

I can only recommend you to read the following. I don't recall making any insinuation about your footwork as I have not seen you so I suggest you do the same about assuming anything about my street fighting & sparring experience.

"Don't get me wrong, sparring is great for certain attributes like footwork timing, distance control, working on not telegraphing, prolong conflicts to learn to read people and their delivery system, speed , accuracy, cardio , ability to take punishment etc etc . Like alot of execises /drills, sparring IS great and awesome for many things . However, the problem , to me, arises when people represent an exercise to the public as " reality" testing. All too often you have people asking " do u spar?" and most of the time, it is ask in a tone which suggest that if you dont spar regularly then your art is not " real". Well this makes me wanna ask , just how REAL is sparring? Does it resemble REAL world violence?

Lets look at a few REAL scenarios of REAL violence that a REAL person may encounter sigh.....

1 Frontal confrontation - statistically, this type of violence starts from conversational range (4 feet or less) , usually the guy that picks the fight will walk up til he's close then he'll yells , swear, postures to distract and scare his victim.Once the victim is scare , the bully /coward will kick off with a sucker punch follow by stomps to the head when the guy is down. 99.99% of the time, it will never start like a sparring match, with two guys bouncing around waiting to set up engagements. Don't believe me , go to your local bars watch a dozen fights and see if you can find even one fight that starts like a sparring match fight.

2 Home invasion - most of the time , 2 guys will break in with weapons people usually dont come in empty handed. Chance are you will be sleeping when it happens.When was the last time that you spar with two guys armed with bats , guns, knives when you just woke up in the dark?

3 Mugger - Here's the most common one , guy walks up close, pulls a blade and demands cash. When was the last time a guy pull a knive on you during a sparring match ? My guess is your sparring partners probably couldnt pull out a blade or a gun even if he had one since its pretty difficult to draw a weapon when you are wearing boxing gloves. Is there any mugging in history, where the mugger stands seven feet away bouncing up and down with his hands up like a sparring match?

4 multiple attackers - when was the last time 3 guys jump you from behind when you were in the ring?

5 car jack - when was the last time you fight full contact and spar in your car? If you were to train like that, is it still call sparring ? or is it now scenario training ?which one is more"REAL'? Have you ever seen a car jack where the thief stands outside your car bouncing up and down jabbing at your car?

6 domestc violence - like frontal confrontation it usually starts with an argument from 4 feet or less. Lots of yelling posturing and verbal distraction follow by relentless close range attacks.When was the last time you spar like that? In no domestic violent attacks cases reported in history, did the ******* husband ever start his attacks on his spouse from ten feet away boucing up and down with his hands up in a boxing guard like a sparring match with gloves on before he beats his family.

Is it just me, hmm... sparring does NOT remotely resemble how real word violence STARTS and sadly, where conflict starts will usually determines how it ends. Why not engage in full resistance, full contact, scenario training instead of sparring?

You wanna spar , that's great , you wanna hit and get hit , fine, you wanna train against full resistance awesome! But why can't you do it under a realistic scenario? And if you dont want to, thats fine too but why bother telling people sparring is realistic when any victim of crime in the real world will tell you it didnt start like a sparring match."

16. Master Betty

Oh my word, you do not have a god damn scooby do you? You think that of all forms of physical violence the average person is likely to view, the most common will be getting mugged at knife point!? You need to get your head checked mate.

Your scenarios are based entirely on what YOU think are the realities and have nothing to back them up. The resulting actions in said hypothetical "realities" are just as laughable as it shows you've clearly ahd very little to no experience in ANY of them.

I never said anything along the lines of sparring being the same thing as a street fight. It IS however, simply the closest you can get to training in the same situation under pressure.

Besides, most little fairies that go on about how different the ring is from the street have never been in the ring under a decent ruleset to begin with and hence have no idea what its like mentally to get into the ring.

If I had to choose between 2 different people to fight: a well trained pure JKD guy or a well trained pure boxer/kickboxer/thaiboxer/wrestler/judoka etc.
    I would always choose to fight the JKD guy first because I KNOW the other guy will know his stuff. Most of the supposedly awesome JKD guys have absolutely nothing backing up their claims of deadliness beyond the testaments of other people exactly like themselves.

17. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  18. Hannibal

I would point out that technically there is not - or rather should not - be any such thing as a "pure"JKD guy

19. Master Betty

When I read that first paragraph I just got an accurate insight into exactly what kind of poster you are. Lol as if you're some kind of TEH D3ADLY.

Tommy who? Lol I've trained with and fought against plenty of professional fighters in and around glasgow - you think some guy I've never heard of in my hometown is going to be producing fighters capable of doing it professionally... but doesn't?

Get a grip mate. With ever subsequent post you just come off as a stereotypical "we train for da street" groupie. Step inside a good thai gym mate, try to spar with one of the experienced guys and tell me what you get. Until then, as I said, I'm not going to try and convince you. Wasn't my goal to begin with and you can't educate someone who refuses to be educated.

20. Pat OMalley

Ah now your back Master Betty can you still answer my question of how you think Bob Breen's guys cant spar. Bearing in mind I can carry on listing people who have won national and international titles in BJJ. MMA. MUAY THAI. STICK FIGHTING and other full contact events?

Also as for FMA not being relevant to the street? It has done me well for many years both on the street and on the doors and it has saved my skin in many edged weapons encounters and by the way I was brought up in Govan, Glasgow and Hackney in London and to be honest location of where you are brought up has no bearing on surviving edged weapons attack.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011