Jedi Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Obewan, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Ok last night went pretty good all hyung one time each, My knee started complaining again, it really needs to get a life! ;) Started the Zig Zag diet as well thanks Neko that fits my life style better and seems to take me in the direction I want to go, we'll see. 186 lbs and 39" waist this morning, I'm very happy with that, I've got a way to go but real good start so far, no roller yet :( should have it by weekend. Going to start resistance training today, push ups, squats (no weight), and other things I can do without equipment, I'll google some stuff. Thanks everyone for your help and support I couldn't do it without you!

2. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Yea got my foam roller today :) worked with it a little...good stuff! I did a bunch of squats throughout the day 10 at a time at about sixty I had to use a chair to support myself with my hands and take some weight off my knees. :( Worked on tread mill again to get my burn 30 min moderate and two minutes full out run. Started the zig zag diet today...about 2177 calories, 176 carbs, 154 protein, 72 fat grams. Two more high calorie day's and then two low cal day's. Doesn't seem like a good way to lose fat, but we're gonna try. Got some MBI numbers yesterday, but left them at the dojang, seems I have about 40lbs of fat on my old body :(

3. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I lost about 50lbs of fat by doing a slightly modified version of the diet. I would basically have low calorie days Tuesday-Friday and high calorie days Saturday and Sunday (also the days I lifted). It is probably more effective to follow the zig zag program though. Looking forward to following your progress and experience with it. It will work as long as you run enough of a weekly deficit.

4. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Thanks Neko, I'm doing cardio workouts every night and I'll do resistance training throughout the day I need to get my connective tissue around my knees stronger, that seems to be my Achilles heal. I'll start a serious foam roller work out tonight as well. The program I'm following on the zig zag diet is 3 days high carb, 2 days low carb, 2 days high carb, 2 days low carb, that rotation was recommended highly on one of the web sites I visited.

5. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I wasn't talking about the carb cycling thing out there. I was talking about the calorie cycling one:

http://drsquat.com/content/knowledge-base/zigzag-diet

My apologies for the confusion. I have no experience with carb cycling.

6. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

OOP's! My bad Neko I meant Calories not carbs, however the bulk of the calories should come from carbs, as I understand that is the fuel that boosts the metabolism.

EDIT: Here's another site this is the one I'm following at the moment. http://www.rippednaturally.com/zig-zag-diet.html

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  7. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Well some people carb cycle, so I thought that is what you were going to do. My view is that you need to get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight to retain as much muscle mass as possible while dieting. It is also a good idea to lift weights while doing this for the same reason. The worst thing you can do is go on a diet and lower your muscle mass. This will lower your metabolism and your body composition will get worse next time you gain weight. Point is to recompose your body with more muscle and less fat.

8. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Ok did a ton of squats today and iso stretching didn't need to use a chair today, tonight was treadmill again 30min various speeds and two minutes full run, got a good workout. today was high calorie day again well over 2000 haven't done a final tally, tomorrow last high calorie day, I noticed my energy spiked today I'm calling that my "hot" day I felt like I could move mountains.

To Neko: yes I haven't looked into the carb cycle thing, I'm afraid to, this is my third diet in four weeks, I kind of like this one, my energy was tapped out I feel much better now, I can't wait til my low day's I want to see if I can actually feel the difference in my performance. On my low days I'm watching my carbs and I'll keep my protein up to above 150g and really watch the fat. I'll weigh in and measure on my next high day morning. That should tell the tale of how the diets working for me.

Thanks again!

9. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Good that you are lifting. I have been on many diets in my life, this one made the most sense to me, as I never felt really deprived as there was always a high calorie day ahead.

10. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Nice squats, i really couldnt do diets or anything, my diet is set out for me and i just eat untill i dont feel like eating anymore lol. I know its primitive, and it probably isnt good either but thats how it is. You cant change what you eat if your in an asian family hahaha.

anyways nice stuff.

11. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Good work out tonight, I got through it in record time, unfortunately I didn't have a backup plan so in twenty minutes "I worked myself out of a job." Next time I'll double the volume of hyung by doing them twice. Low diet day today, and tomorrow, went well although I think I may have not eaten enough I'll try to set up better for tomorrow. Knees feel a little better I'm foam rolling and stretching, and continue the squats throughout the day.

12. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Today was lift day, 10 x 10 squats feet apart, 10 x 10 squats legs together hands on ankles, alternating between each style and 10 push-ups between each set of ten squats, one arm rows with 20lb bar bell 5 x 10 each side. 20min treadmill for cardio.

13. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Time for an update. Been doing hyung all straight through none stop getting much easier my performance level is increasing. My diet is going well 185lbs and 38 inches at waist actually belly button is where I've been measuring as that's where the fat collects. Any way that's 4 inches so far :) This week is my last in the six weeks I've dedicated to this work out. I've met most of my goals 10lb weight loss, increased endurance, loss of body fat. Getting time to map out my next six weeks, I'm thinking some serious core, and leg strengthening. I'm gathering some equipment for that type of training, I'm building a slosh pipe and I've found a large payloader tire to use, I'm going to go for equipment I'm either building or finding laying around. Over the weekend I did some fire wood cutting, and furniture moving. I use those as part of my workout as well. My goals are to lose more fat and build even more endurance. The zig zag diet seems to be working fine with my training.

14. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Core and leg strengthening = deadlifts and squats (can be done with sandbags). Don't fall into the trap I did and focus on legs to the detriment of your upper body. Try to work your whole body.

15. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Today All Hyung four times each 64 total got through it ok about 1 hour 20 min. My knee is a little swollen again, I just need to get stronger legs, I'll get there I'm very determined now. I will be getting into resistance training big time, and with Neko's advise I will do full body workouts. I felt heavy today even though it was a low calorie day another one tomorrow and then three high day's in a row, yay! My body is screaming for sleep.

16. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

The variety of calories really helps you stay on track, doesn't it? Learn to love everything there is about the lifting, recovery, etc. Find passion in it.

17. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Oh boy I dodged a bullet last night! I was on the tread mill doing a performance work out and right near the end (6 minutes left on the downward side) I felt a pain in my ham string kinda like a feeling such as getting a vaccination I immediately stepped off the tread mill. I've got a little stiffness in my leg but I can stretch with little pain.

18. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

what are you doing mate.
    if you have knees problems get on the steady bike, not the treadmill.
    even the skier is better

19. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Well I don't go to the gym I've got a treadmill at my house that's why I use it, I almost bought a bike instead and frankly I wish I did because of my legs, but that's what I got to work with.

20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

aww man. sucks.
    just take it easy!
    i wont be able to read your training page if you're injured!