Jason Statham's MA Background

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Wolf, Aug 29, 2005.

1. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Great Britain Savate Federation has a listing of a few clubs. I know there are more but just click on the clubs tab to see around ten schools. I'll post more as I find them. Not everyone lists a website though. Smaller clubs or schools may not have the funds to support a website.

http://www.savate.org.uk/

Also,

Cambridge Academy of Martial Arts

West Coast Martial Arts Academy

Spectrum Savate

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

So you don't know where there are clubs, you just have a link to a website.

As Chadderz would say, "cool story bro, needs more dragons..."

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Here is a list of the clubs in the GB Savate Federation. There will be other clubs that aren't in the organisation and there could be other organisations in the UK. Note that the population of the UK is about 64 million.

http://www.savate.org.uk/?q=clubs

Defens dans la rue is the original "self defence" savate that has pretty much died out.

Edit: Ok, you got them already...yeah, a huge amount of clubs considering the population.

Edit 2: Notice how two are in London? And two are in Cambridge and run by the same people? Notice where the other gyms are located? Pretty much all around the London/South area. So hardly a good spread over the UK at all.

4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Yes, and a cursory check of the areas that the above link lists clubs at, will herald a far greater ratio of Non-Savate based Kickboxing clubs.

Take Oxfordshire for instance (as this is my area) GBSF lists ONE club in the area, and forgetting all other styles, I know of at least SIX alternate Kickboxing schools.

Rising Spirit Academy (Oxford)
    Devil's Gym (Wantage) - No Website
    Oxfordshire Martial Arts Academy (Oxford)
    Aro Fitness Oxfordshire (Henley on Thames)
    Beacon Kickboxing (Wantage) - No Website
    Oxford Shootfighters (Oxford)

So whilst there most certainly are Savate clubs spread all over the UK, claiming that it is the most commonly taught form of Kickboxing is a bit of a stretch!

Regards,

Travess

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Cambridge Academy of Martial Arts and Spectrum Savate are listed on the GBSF page. So, I guess you can't add them as "extra clubs I have found". Look forward to seeing more of these savate clubs that are on every street corner in the UK.

Edit: Mistake about West Coast MA. My mistake. It seems to be a club in the USA with a school in the UK. It possibly doesn't teach savate in the UK.:

Offering Combat Jiu Jitsu and Kickboxing, Boxing and Women’s Fitness and Self-Defense Classes

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I was wondering why a place in Sheffield was called West Coast.