[Japan] Japanese

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jeff, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Jeff

Jeff New Member

I'm wanting to learn how to speak japanese...But I've never done a day's talking in japanese in my whole life! I've set myself the task of learning the basic phrases like Nihongo o hanashimasu ka? and how to say hai and lie... if anyone else wants to learn with me that'd be a great help. of if anyone who can speak japanese could teach me anything that'd be really helpful as well. Arigatou gozaimasu!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  2. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

writing in kana is different than speaking, i hope your saying AH REE GAH TOH and not AH RI GAH TOW or TOWOO

anyways, i dont exactly know how to teach someone japanese over the internet, perhaps if u asked some specific questions?

I dont know a lot, im prolly equal to a 3 year old in japan, lol, but i'll try to help

3. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Watch lots of Anime. I recommend Full Metal Alchemist.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Kawayi onna = pretty lady.

Now go and practise! ;)

5. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

you should try looking up some websites on the net =\
    Thats what I'm doing (for korean btw)

6. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

nice one mate i'll remember that one..cheers! :)

7. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

映画>ドラマ>アニメ

8. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

映画 is right.
    I've learned a good bit from watching Ozu movies. They speak pretty clearly so it's not hard to pick up.

9. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

watching anime shows is fun and all, but a lot of the men characters are really women, so if u try and speak like them, the japanese will think your gay :\ also, in movies sometimes people really roll their R's ... Thats wut like hardcore Yakuza do, and i wouldnt recommend doing that

10. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Watching anime, or any acting production is not a good way to learn proper Japanese. Sure, you'll pick up a few words here and there, like baka, and chotto matte (wait a minute), but just like Western animation, the way that actors talk in character is NOT the way that a normal person would. The scripts of anime often use a very informal and shorthanded version of talking, and if you talked that way to some people, you'd probably get slapped around for showing disrespect.

The best way to learn a language is to take classes, and actually interact in conversation.

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

We have a young lady here named Booksie Girl who is currently in Japan on holiday. I think she's going to be gone another 3-4 weeks. She is learning Japanese and might be a good person to help you or at least give you guidance. Welcome.

12. Omittchi

Omittchi New Member

I'm a univeristy Japanese language student, and though I'm not necessarily as good as a true native speaker, I might be able to help you out with forming sentences and vocab and what not.

I have to agree though, anime is good form somethings but the basics are needed before you can really comprehend how to utilize the vocab used in anime.

13. Jeff

Jeff New Member

wow, thanks for the response everyone. Right now, I'm learning basic phrases.thank you, good bye. And how to count to 10. I really want to learn, so I'm hoping I'll keep up a fast pace. I love to watch anime, and I watch 'em in english first then I watch them in japanese with english subs. I have a pretty wide ranged collection; akira to vampire hunter d to pretear...I have a fair collection now! It is kind of hard to know how to say words, but I found a great site where you can actually hear how words are pronounced! Thanks again! I'll keep you posted on how I'm getting on!

14. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I've studied Chinese and Japanese, and I'd say that Japanese is much, much harder. And when compared to a language with four tones, phonetics that defy the English mindset, and 30,000 characters, that's saying a lot.
    Japanese Grammar goes on my list of the Seven Horrors of the World. So... many... tenses.... and particles! The particles! I also have a hard time remembering Japanese words.... too many particles.
    I've watched massive amounts of subtitled anime, but it hasn't tought me much Japanese aside from a few military terms ( "Yokai," "Kanshou", etc).
    Just remember: "Toide wa doko desu ka?" is "where's the W.C.?" ^_~

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Learning basic phrases doesn't ever work. You need to learn the principles of the language, how to formulate sentences, etc. Just like in MA, a few "self-defense" moves won't cut it in a fight. I speak English, Polish, and have taken 3 years of Japanese in High-School. Trust me, you'll want to take a class if you really want to speak it. A few of my friends are anime-freaks who learn to "speak" Japanese from it. They look like fools when they try.

PL

16. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

There was an anime freak on IRC that said 'wagahai'.

When everyone got done laughing at him he didn't show his face again :D

17. Black Dog

Black Dog Expressionist

Oh my god, that is so very true. It is one of the most annoying things you can hear when a person who thinks they know how to speak japanese from watching anime tries to say lines. They have weird pronunciation and say things that a normal person wouldn't.

In short, use japanese friends, books, and the classroom.

18. Jeff

Jeff New Member

I want to take classes...it's just that it's a problem to get to any, because they are all on at night! I can only do one during the day! I wish I could. I've only just started with basics...hello/goodbye/counting to 10? I'm not about to learn senence structure! I'll have to take classes for that! http://japanese.about.com/blsoundfile.htm is where I'm learning from right now...for the basics.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

DO NOT learn from a friend of the opposite sex, however. You'll either sound like a manly and rude woman, or a gay guy.

Your profile says you're 17. There aren't any classes in school? Do you even go to school?

PL

20. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Most high schools don't offer Japanese, mine is especially <oops> for not even offering German.

No profanity, please.
    KT

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2004