Its very odd...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bigmikey, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

It is very odd to me at times when I stop and think about the fact that some of my closest friends right now are people whom I've never seen face to face, men who's hands Ive never shaken, individuals whos laugh I've never heard.

That gets even stranger for me when I think about the fact that many of them are brits or from that general area of the world. Which ties into another point. At times it strange being one of the FEW Americans on this site. I think its VERY fair to say that Americans are outnumbered rather soundly by folks from the U.K. I've noticed that in more than a few posts. I've never been a minority to this degree before. Now I'm a minority on this site AND in my own country, lol. Its true. Hispanics have outbred anglos in America to the point that White Folk, who legitimately stole this country from the Indians, are now behind them.

Which I find oddly hysterical.

That aside, I spend a fair bit of what little time I have during the day here. What makes that worth mentioning is that unlike a BBing board from the states where there was at least a CHANCE I'd meet up with someone, I'll more than likely never meet any of you. And yet you all compose such a huge part of my daily life.

I think it speaks VOLUMES about the character and quality of all of you here whom I call friend, that I can count you as such while never having even looked you in the eye. And that speaks strongly toward the quality of this board in general. I feel a bit honored to be even some tiny bit respected/accepted here.

I've owned my fair share of forums, albeit in an overly saturated segment of the cyberweb, as there are quite literally dozens of boards devoted to lifting heavy things well, lol. Only one of them had the same chemistry this place has. This place has a certain magical mixture of chemistry, quality and diversity thats hard to replicate let alone duplicate. I don't think you can appreciate that unless you've tried to do it on your own. Creating a slice of cyber space as busy as this isn't a 1,2,3 kind of thing. It takes time, effort and a bit of magic.

And, apparently, it takes being based in the UK, lol.

Anyway, for what its worth, I've had a really spectacular day and had the chance to reflect a little on how lucky we all are to have a place like this to bring thick-skulled americans and .... you guys (LOL, couldnt resist guys)... together in one place. It's pretty spectacular if you stop to think about it.

Glad to know all of you, and glad you're patient enough to put up with me :D

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thanks Mikey, nice post.

It does seem MAP attracts a certain kind of person and does have a special dynamic.

I have been lucky enough to meet some of the guys here and only yesteday was with CosmicFish, Gary, jwt, Sampsi, Llamageddon, Atra, Sifu Ben and Southpaw.

The fact that geographically none of us are that far apart made that easier, but we do not forget our overseas friends, with the discussion during the after training meal including the likes of Fish of Doom and yourself.

How many other forums would have someone (you Mikey) giving up their own time to write a training programme for a complete stranger?

So even though an ocean seperates us, sometimes we are not so far apart.

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Thats a very profound statement and the exact nature of my intended post. That we can be so close and yet, geographically so far apart is what baffles me at times.

In truth, there are many times I feel unworthy of this place when we compare MA knowledge since mine is so limited. All I feel I have to offer at times is my experience in lifting heavy stuff and making little guys big, lol. So offering that knowledge freely is sort of my admission, if you will.

I will also be the keeper of the cake. Yes... the cake...

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It makes no difference, at least to those of us who can see through the bull.

I was at a jwt run simulation day yesterday and was discussing with Llamageddon how it was difficult to see who was a Kung Fu guy, karate guy and so on.

When push comes to shove many of the arts share a lot. Lines get blurred and far too many people look for something that identifies them as extraordinary, when in truth all (arts) are at once ordinary and extraordinary.

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

What he said.

We're all here because we like (to pretend) to punch and kick things. We might, at the end of the day, have different ways of doing that, but we're all share that one thing in common - masochism.

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'm going to cry :cry:

7. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

I joined MAP as a misguided teen infatuated with martial arts. I thought I could solve all of my problems with a fight rather than words. The first time I posted on here (it was something rather naive) I received a harsh reality check and it made me quit MAP for a while.

I came back later and tested the waters. It was more of "am I a more mature person?" than "did they forget me so I can post more inane crap again?" I started reading and taking in everything I see. The collective thoughts from MAP became a sort of a mentor for me. It became a constant in my life when things were changing too rapidly and I wasn't sure about my future. I met people on here whom I could call friends, even though (like you Mikey) I never had the chance to meet them in person.

There are people who are no longer members on here that I miss. The either moved on, or passed away. I wasn't active when Koyo passed away, so I didn't know about it till Christmas eve. What shocked me is that I actually cried when I read it. I never thought that his death, someone I had never met, could affect me so much. I realize now that I didn't have to meet him in person for his words, wisdom, kindheartedness, and humor to make such a powerful impression on me.

It's these things that make MAP so special for me.

8. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Honoured (you missed the U, by the way xD) to be part of the list of people you'd allow to shake your hand, my friend, you're kinda awesome and stuff :D

I used to talk to a girl in Ohio who would get depressed, and she'd be needing a hug or whatever. Obviously I can't offer that from here, but I told her to look at the sky, coz I'm looking at the same one. It's cheesy as hell, I won't deny it, but it made us both feel a little less separated. :)

9. monkeywrench

monkeywrench Valued Member

Fellow American I got ur back bro!!!!! *giggle*

I feel much the same. I lurked here at MAP for a while before posting and now feel like this is something of a second home. I got the chance very recently to meet someone from MAP (he barely posts, so I'll not mention him by name) and that was very cool.

Being on MAP has challenged me to think better and that's always a good thing.

Hey, speaking of people dying. I've had people I've known die on a couple different places including Facebook. It's sad when that happens since it's like they are still with you when you can go back and read their posts anytime. One very unusual thing happened to me recently that's worth mentioning. I Friended a dead person on Facebook. I saw their name in the "Hey, you might know this person!" feed and remembered them from shortly after high school. Come to find out they had died and their mom was running their Facebook page.

It's a different world now.

10. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

i make some friends on every forum i go to. as well as the computer game i play, red alert 2. I always loved martial arts planet btw. Even if i think some peoples opinions border on evilness. But those are just one or two things. I think simon and pasmith and bunnyrabbit and his views on employment insurance and i get along here otherwise. Its just one or two things.

If only i could do that in real life, make friends everywhere i go......