ITF-C Grading Video Discussion

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Tezzer, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tezzer

Tezzer Banned Banned

Greetings. I've been a lurker here for a over a year but only now feel compelled to join. First of all, I'm only a blue belt so if I get my facts wrong please feel free to correct me.

I think the ezine is a great idea. (Tezzer is referring to StuartA's upcoming TKD Ezine. This thread has been split from there at StuartA's request - Mitch) I do have a number of issues however. Since I know a little about mareketing and business practise while its true that the ezine is free is does serve as a useful tool for your business enterprises. Furthermore, in terms of costs ( since all contributors are paid nothing) it is an extrememly cost effective marketing tool. This is not meant as a negative but it is the reality. Take the Metro newspaper. It's free, but the people who hand it out get a good wage and the owners probably do very well too. So there's a lot of money generated from this "freebie".

No doubt each issue will contain adverts for all your own products. Like I said, this is not a negative and is only to be expected. It's good business practise much in the same way that all the other authors here seem to form a mutual endorsement society where you all call each other "experts" and endorse each others work. Excellent business practise, and if the product is good and everyone is happy then all's well. As the saying goes: "you pays your money and you makes your choice".

However, this is not the main point of my first post here. You stated that your magazine will be non-political. That's an excellent sentiment. But how will this work in reality? We were discussing your book and I bought up the ezine after class earlier this week. A few people were not happy at all. In fact a couple of the black belts were pretty upset. They said that that's the guy who marked our grading down. At first I didn't understand what they were saying and presumed you were on the grading panel. They explanied that a video of the ITUK (ITF-C) black belt grading held in Derby last year was posted on youtube and that you had given it a very low rating on your own youtube page. I don't know too much about youtube but they said that on your youtube page they had been alerted to the fact it showed you had given the video a one star rating (meaning very poor).

After some searching I found your page and could not see the video in question in your "recent activity" box. There is however a rating for a 5th dan doing a pattern which you only give 3 stars? Some of the black belts at our club said that this series (T-kick) were some of the best patterns videos on youtube and most were 5 star or at very least 4 star performances.

While I feel you are entitled to your own opinion this does raise the issue of the non-political nature of your ezine. What criteria will you use to judge what is worthy of publication. If you think a genuine ITF black belt grading presided over by a well respected ITF master is only 1 star (and therefore produces on 1 star black belts? I know for a fact that our black belts are some of the best around. Definatley not 1 star.

Some of the lads suggested you may have some bias against the ITF or perhaps the ITF-c since you single our grading out. Like one of them said, there's plenty worse out there he could coment on.

Will ITF-C contributions be welcome in your magazine?

Tae Kwon

Tez
    Blue Belt
    ITF-C

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If they got upset over a viewer marking down their grading [video], then they shouldn't post it in a public domain where it is available for others to critique.

Stuart is one of the many MAP-ers who I believe to be the "real deal" in Tae Kwon Do, and I'd be inclined to trust his judgement if a video was poor. Perhaps you could post a link to the video in question so the rest of MAP can judge for itself?

3. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

I'm actually surprised it took that long for someone to comment. I could barely contain myself when I saw that post. :)

4. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Hi Stuart,

Got the message about this on facebook. Looks interesting and can't wait till it comes out.

How many pages is the first issue?

James

5. Tezzer

Tezzer Banned Banned

I don't know who posted it. Has it occurred to you that they might be entitled to be upset? Just a thought? I haven't actually seen it myself. I will ask tonight where to find it since I've searched once and nothing has come up.

I also don't want to make it into a big issue. I'm sure Mr Anslow can answer for himself and doesn't need anyone to do it for him. :)

Just in case you don't know, ITF gradings are recognised as the highest standard in TKD. ITF-C even more so. You don't get a black belt for shelling peas. Although I haven't seen it yet I can't believe for one minute that it was of a "Poor" standard in the greater scheme of things. Not for one minute.

Like I said, Mr Anslow is entitled to his opinion but I was just curious how his subjectivity (what's good and what isn't to him) would influence his editorial choices.

Perfectly reasonable I think. Anyway I don't want to make a major thing about it. I will ask tongiht and see what comes up.

PS good look in your TaeKyon adventure. Anyone who dresses up in that costume and dances like that deserves kudos. :evil:

Tae Kwon

6. what is itf-c?

All I can find is Ipswich Town Football Club :)

7. Tezzer

Tezzer Banned Banned

ITF-C is the ITF headed by the son of General Choi. In effect it's the true ITF lineage.

8. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

...according to whom?

I am a Kukkiwon stylist and have been asked to submit an article for the magazine. I don't think Stuart Anslow's political opinions, or lack thereof, will come into play when he has his editorial cap on.

9. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

For some reason I'm having trouble posting a full reponse, I keep getting an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message!!!!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

ITF gradings are recognised as the highest standard in TKD.

Hahah...wicked. Nothing like confidence. :)

11. StuartA

Welcome and will do, as I see much of what you have wrote needs it!

Seems a bit negative to me and as you have said, thats the reality.. so I dont get the point of the post if its not meant to be negative! The true reality is, its a lot of work and effort to put it togethor, a lot more than I expected, for the last month and a half I've probibly spent 4 hours + a day (most days more) doing stuff for it and havn't got paid a penny. Am I going to advertise things like my book and DVDs, yes, why not, the same as any others can (for free) if they submit articles and have something of interest to the TKD coummunity. For the past 10 years or so I have submitted articles to TKD mags and never been paid a bean btw. Its going to be monthly, so feel free to do the maths and let me know if you`d do all that work for nothing? That said, the magazine was never set up as a job, but because its something I wanted to do, if it makes a few bucks, great, if not, so be it, either way the work remains needing to be done if its gonna see light of day. If you or others have issues with the way its set up, then you a "free" to not read it, just as others are "free" to read it.. because its free. If you want to produce a quality magazine totally for free, no adverts what so ever and then distribute it free, then you are most welcome to do so.

From what Ive seen on here, people who endorse others work do so because they are good works, not because they are some exclusive society!! Furthermore I dont see anyone calling themselves "experts", but if someone else refers to them as such, perhaps thats how they see them!

Non-politicial meaning all styles & organisations of TKD can submit items.. pretty self explainitary really!!

12. StuartA

Wow.. they all spoke in unison.. amazing :)

AFAIA, YouTube doesnt say who rates what videos, so apart from the bit you say below (about a "recent activity" box) how would a person know who rated a video out of millions of YouTube users... even if its sends some sort of message that a videos been rated, it doesnt say by who! I have videos on YouTube and it doesnt tell me who rates them! Besides, not sure what any of this has to do with the magazine, but even if I did rate something on YouTube (and I'm not saying I did in this case as I don't recall doing so), it would be a personal opinion thing and could be based on anything to do with a video and not even neccesarily the TKD in it (if its a TKD video), hell, I might not haved liked the music or something, who knows.. do people really take them that seriously!!!

And!!!! So what, again, personal opinion. I like the kick T series as well! My 3 stars could well be equal to your 5 stars anyway! Big deal! If I rated one then I have probibly rated others, which could of been 5 stars, I dont know, but again, whats my personal opinion got to do with anything! And just cos your mates like them, it doesnt mean I have to, nor do I have to like something because a 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th dan has done it, perhaps I see different things in them to you or them!!!

Obviously you dont.. seeing as you've become some sort of internet detective to try to prove a point, telling me stuff I didnt even know! Are you in the video you refer to or something? Either way, it doesnt prove anything anyway, as the magazine and my personal opinions are not mutually exclusive. Perhaps you have you own axe to grind which is why you use "Tezzer" and havn't introduced yourself on the forum as is customary for newbies here and why, after 1 year of lurking you suddenly had the urge to post! Though funnily enough your profile says you joined just yesterday!

Thats its interesting to TKD'ers, well written, informative and connected to TKD

If you gonna make accusations (and twisted ones at that) please provide proof - link the video as requested as well (But make a seperate thread)! Not sure what a 1 star black belt is either! And don't twist what you accuse me of doing (evidence not withstanding), like I said if I did rate a video, the rating is of the video as a whole and means nothing like what your trying to accuse me of.. how the heck does rating a video mean I'm calling someone a 1 star black belt (like I said, whatever that means)!!!

Which black belts are they then and how do you know that "for a fact"?

"Some of the lads".. if they have something to say they are welcome to email me directly, I'm not hard to find! In fact, when you post the video link, why they they come on here and debate thier cause!

I dont have a biased against any of the ITF's, I have friends and associates in all of them. Early next month some of my students are supporting an ITF-C run course, a couple of weeks after that an ITF-C instructor that I hold in high regards is hosting a tournament we are supporting and I have many friends in ITF-C! Do I agree with all their policies.. no, but again thats personal opinion and not a reflection of anyone in it and not singled to just ITF-C anyway, as I have personal opinions on many things regarding organisations and the way they do things, as well as TKD as a whole! As I said, I don't have to agree just cos an organisation says it is so and I definatly don't have to suck up to anyone in any organisations. I have my views and will state them if I deem fit. It someone doesnt like it, then they should check themselves and ask.. "whys he saying that", instead of getting the hump like a big baby! If they dont understand, like I said, they can email me and I'll explain it to them! And besides, if I did put a rating, its hardly singled out is it, as you`ve already mentioned I rated a kick T video too!

Of course. All the big organisations were contacted prior to announcing the magazine (including ITF-C), if they dont submit stuff then its down to them as they will be under represented by their own doing, not by mine, same as all the other orgs. ITF-C instructors that I know personally (and thus hold in high regards) have also been offered the opportunity to put reports etc. and some ITF'ers have also got some stuff in there already, where A, B, C or D!

Stuart

13. StuartA

Will let you know shortly! :)

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just as much as it occurred anyone who views the video is entitled to post their opinion, whether positive or negative. Just because Stuart didn't think too highly of the grading, doesn't mean his book(s) and ezine don't have merit.

Thank you.

Public forum, public response.

Says who? I've attended gradings held by [what I and many others would consider to be] the top five ITF associations in the United Kingdom. I've seen WTF gradings of a higher calibre than most.

*Troll senses... tingling*

You do in a lot of ITF associations. I haven't seen any evidence to support why the ITF-C would be any better.

I can't comment on the video in question until I've seen it. But I'd be willing to trust Stuart's judgement because he is usually spot on.

Say that after you've been kicked in the head off a Taekkyon practitioner and I'll give you kudos ;) :evil:

15. StuartA

MOD - Thread split please

I sure can.. can these so called disgruntled black belts not do the same?

Says who?

Well, once you post the video link, others will let you know eh!

If you havnt seen it, how can you judge either way?.. on heresay only!

Explained in previous post - I trust that satisfied you?

Not according to General Choi himself or the ITF Constitution!!.. but thats an entirly different discussion!

Stuart

16. StuartA

Just for the record, I don't have any political opinions regarding organisations, any opinions of mine are based on good/bad TKD, if they conflict with political issues of organisations it due to it being good/bad for TKD, not cos of which org they may be! I respect individuals, if they are decent, no matter which org they may be from.

Stuart

17. StuartA

Is it just me or does anyone else find it weird that someone is stating about the quality of both a video or grading that, by his own admission, he's never even seen!!

For some reason the word "sheep" jumps into my head!! Either that, or you are not whom you say you are! Which is it?

Stuart

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's nice that you've found a friend Stuart but............

................there's something about him a bit weird. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Oh that's right, he's a Fellow human being and I won't use any personal insults as that would violate ToS!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  19. Can you post a link with some information to the org please?
    Why is it the true ITF lineage?

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Is it a sheep?

Is it a troll?

No, it's Tezzer.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.