Israel Blockades Lebanon

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by slipthejab, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

The Beano?

:confused: ;) :D

There have been cases of territories being technically at war for decades because they got missed off the peace treaties. If I remember rightly, it happened with Andorra (at war with Germany from 1914 to 1939, only to make peace in order to declare war again) and Berwick-on-Tweed (which for historical reasons has to be specified on peace treaties) which was technically at war with Russia for 150 years following the Crimean War.
    (Edit: Berwick signed a peace treaty with Russia in 1966.)

2. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

IIRC the first Gulf War never ended either, there was a ceasefire contingent on adherance to certain UN resolutions on weapons inspections and so forth.

3. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

Korean war never ended, no peace treaty was signed and it is very much a war zone today.

Israel and Hezbollah will never be at peace until 1 is gone.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Hmm, not really, Israel is going nowhere short of a nuclear strike from Iran, which is highly unlikely to happen for a number of reasons.

Hezbollah cant be destroyed, at shown by the Taliban in Afghanistan. If the US and a large NATO force cant beat the Taliban then what chance to Israel realistically give themselves of being able to beat Hezbollah into extinction.

Hezbollah will exist until they lose their relevance. At the moment they are relevant, they state their purpose as to defend Lebanon from Israel. They have been doing that. Until all this kicked off again, Hezbollah were lacking in support to the extent that they had to legitimise their existance by entering politics. Now their militant wing has been given a new lease of life and support is at an all time high.

I wouldn't be surprised if the kidnapping of the two IDF soldiers was aimed at provoking Israel into this reaction in order to make themselves relevant again.

5. firecoins

The Taliban is losing. Yeah they "resurged" after hiding Pakistan where US and NATO forces can't go. Its not that they can't be beat.

6. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

That's sort of the point, you can't stomp out an organization like Hezbollah, Al'Quadi, Taliban etc...

They just leave the area and wait till your not watching and move back, unless you have a way of identifying a common person from a terrorist/criminal/etc.. then they will be able to blend into the populace at will.

7. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

8. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

9. Sankaku-jime

exactly, if the Lebanese Army can secure the border against Zionist attacks then the armed wing of Hezbollah would no longer be needed.

10. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

fortunately for us, the FACT that those ambulances have airvents is not determined by who the site is biased towards. the FACT that the ambulances show absolutely no fire damage is also insensitive to the bias of the website.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  11. Sankaku-jime

All I see is some Zionists with an old white van that they have painted up, I will take my news from more credible sites thank you very much.

The lengths that these Zionists will go to in their attempts to hide the truth are hilarious. [​IMG][​IMG]

12. firecoins

They lost their relevance in 2000. why didn't they disappear? Becasue they recreated it. So it seems that is what your saying?

Israel would not have attacked Southern Lebanon if it wasn't for Hezbollah so is their relevance to provoak attacks?

13. holyheadjch

No, that isn't what I've said at all and I think you realise that.

Hezbollah have said recently that they will not disband because the Lebanese army is not strong enough to repel an invasion from Israel. That is their purpose, their sole stated purpose. After 2000 they were no longer fighting Israel, so why did they continue to exist? They weren't needed, the public didn't need them anymore, but they stayed on because of a perceived threat to Lebanon. This threat had failed to materialise into anything, so like many groups have done in the past they tried to legitimise their operations by entering politics, this kept them in the publics field of view but didn't really open them up to much criticism from outside because they were democratically elected.

Then all of a sudden Hezbollah sent a raid into Israel capturing 2 Israeli soldiers knowing full well that Israel is particularly precious about its military personnel. All of a sudden Israeli combat aircraft are killing Lebanese children and the public are calling on Hezbollah to start fighting again, which they did.

Hezbollah repel the invaders for a second time and become the heroes once more.

Its a cycle. I dont expect Hezbollah to do anything to damage this ceasefire (beyond rearming etc) because they have done what they needed to do to secure their future for the next few years. They will continue to build up their numbers then they will probably do something to start another conflict assuming Israel dont start it for them.

14. firecoins

So your admitting that Hezbollah started this conflict.

I realize its hard for you to understand Israel does not target children on purpose. Israel target Hezbollah who his in civilan areas. Israel releasd thousand of fliers warning of upcoming attacks. Israel wants a secure Norther border. That is what Israel wants. Every Israeli incursion into lebanon was based on achieving a secure Norther border.

So you don't expect to break the ceasefire except to break the most important part of it. Hmm

15. holyheadjch

Nowhere in that resolution does it state that the cessation of hostilities was conditional on Hezbollah disarming or not rearming. The cessation of hostilities stated that Israel should stop its offensive operations (which is hasn't honoured) and Hezbollah should stop its rocket attacks on Israel, which unless you know something I dont, they have.

16. firecoins

Actually it does. It is in the current one and it was in the 2000 resolution. You find a link to the text and it will be there. Israel has honored their obligations. Sorry but that is the truth. Hezbollah is supposed to disarm 2x.

17. holyheadjch

The resolution on the current cessation of hostilities

The resolution on conditions necessary for a lasting peace

Its best you read the source before using it as a point in an argument.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  18. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Maybe I don't quite understand... the conditions for a permanent ceasefire, as you just quoted, explicitly calls for disarmament of militant groups in Lebanon

19. firecoins

Read the bold post of what you posted. This was a conflict between Hezbollah and Israel. What armed groups could the ceasefire possibly be reffering to?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  20. holyheadjch

Those are conditions that the UN has stipulated need to be achieved for a lasting peace to exist. They have nothing to do with the current ceasefire, the conditions for the cessation of hostilities were for Hezbollah to stop its attacks and for Israel to stop its offensive operations.