Is Wudang “not very good”

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Maui Taoist, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Maui Taoist

Maui Taoist New Member

Hi all,
    So I was talking to Bruce Frantzis at a party the other night about Wudang arts, and he said “Wudang is not very good” “Invented by the government” etc. and that “Everyone in the Chinese medial arts community that he knows says that is the truth” and since he goes to China “all the time” and speaks Chinese he should know.

I am a student of the Dong Taijiquan Lineage but I love all neijiaquan especially the Wudang arts and I have gained much by incorporating them into my practice.
    I just wondered what you guys thought about this topic?

Cory
    Taiji on Maui. com

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
  2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Think I'm impressed that got round the filter. Kudos.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think you should edit your post to cut out the bad language, introduce yourself properly and read the TOS.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It might have got through the filter, but then it had to face me! :yeleyes:

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Random, but you just reminded me of an old IT teacher who had a wooden metre stick called "Oblivion"

6. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hi Maui Taoist,
    I daresay that Bruce is refering to the modern temple complex (complete with spa and hotel) at Wudang.
    The methods taught at this complex are modern, performance-based Wushu arts as opposed to the traditional boxing and meditational arts (supposedly) taught at Wudang.

James

7. Maui Taoist

Maui Taoist New Member

Opps thanks for the "filter"

I was hoping that there was room for a renewal of something that maybe was once there at Wudang, I know there is now something new going on there,I don't want to be negative or whatever. It is now becoming popular and I hope they get it right and people can be accepting of the techniques that are unique to Wudang.

8. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

There is still some good schools there I believe. I have chatted with a monk from wudang, on a few occasions. He demonstrated one of his forms, and I have to say it was one of the best demonstrations of a form that I've ever seen form any style.

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

It's quite debatable if there were ever any especially "unique" things originating @ Wu Tang. This is no secret. Not unlike Shaolin.

So what specifically do you mean re Wu Tang you have incorporated? What are they?

10. Taiwandeutscher

Taiwandeutscher Valued Member

In Oct. of 1982, I spent 4 days cirss-crossing Wudang mountains, with a relatively good connected Chinese MA friend. We didn't find one single MAist, not one intact temple/monastery, no monks and no nuns.
    What we met were herbs collectors, and one of them told us that he was collecting allready for 7 years and never had seen any MAist in that time. That would go back to around 1975.
    So where do those new monks come from, lol?:cool:

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

This is often the case in much of China. I've come across monks in some pretty remote regions. However martial arts are the furthest thing from their mind. In many ways the common conception of the martial monk is by and large a western construct.

12. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

The movies......

13. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Probably from the Beijing Tourist Board.

14. firefly2280

firefly2280 New Member

It's a shame because historically Wudang was one of the great centre's
    For martial arts and enlightenment.

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Actually the popular fiction "sword novels" of the late 1800s in China are mainly resposible.This romanticized concept being exported to the West along w/the Southern Chinese MAs-ever notice that many of the famous systems from the south claim Shaolin descent,whereas not that many in the north,where Shaolin was,do? Odd,isn't it?

CMA historians throughout the 20th century never found evidence for this supposed great martial center/influence at/of Wu Tang. Where does this rep come from then,historically speaking? (Huang Zongxi's 1669 Epitaph for Wang Zhengnan proves nothing,it's widely considered to be merely a symbolic statement having to do with socio-political issues).This is a myth with less historical substance than Shaolin's rep,which at least has a couple mentions in history.Very slight mentions at that.

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yes.. most of which have never seen a western translation... but are still rather popular... there are rows and rows of them in the library. I reckon that most people take them as fact rather than entertainment.

17. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I share the same experience as you do. In July of 1980, I went to Shaolin temple the 1st time. I saw only 4 monks in the whole temple. None of them were training TCMA. Many years later I went back again, there were a lot of monks there. They all claimed they were there all their life. Where were they during 1980 and culture revolution?

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The difference with Wudang is that no-one's really claiming that 30 years ago there were more than a handful of people living in the mountains. Pretty much everyone in Wudang is descended from a couple of guys.

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl6jwab3HWk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl6jwab3HWk[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  20. embra

embra Valued Member

So who are all the fancy folk one sees on youtube executing 'wudang' taichi, bagua, qigong, dian etc - some of them look pretty impressive it has to be said.

They look/market/other adjective, themselves as some long lineage disciples of some tradition. Is it all manufactured out of some marketing machine?