Is WMMA The Most Prolific Female Sport

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

It attracts people who like to punch things I guess.

Knee Rider likes this.
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Depends as well though, you're comparing the NFL to all of MMA it's not a fair comparison. A more fair representation would be the entirety of the NFL vs UFC fighters exclusively. If you encompass all of MMA, I know dirt bags who have 1 amateur fight and beat a woman previously. The reticle says "to count for top ranked fighters that escalates to 750...." doesn't make much sense and hopefully deadpool can elaborate on that for me. However, there are only like 500 UFC fighters and those guys are the top ranked guys out there with a few exceptions like Askren and Rory MacDonald. So this article sounds incredibly biased. I'll go into it more when I'm home.

SWC Sifu Ben and Mushroom like this.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I know people would probably be offended by this...but...

In the end, it's a fighting sport and we gotta admit, some of the best fighters aren't very nice people. I know we romanticise "the martial artist" as super humble, respectful and think of fighters should be like GSP or Anderson Silva, but instead there needs to be an acknowledgement that folk like Lee Murray in the fight game exists. Because...well....violence.

4. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

David Harrison likes this.
  5. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Isnt that also the guy that went viral acting tough at weigh ins. Then destroyed by his opponent (Ben Nguyen)?

Edit. It is!!

SWC Sifu Ben, Jaydub and axelb like this.
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sweet sweet justice.

David Harrison, Knee Rider and Jaydub like this.
  8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Yes, I love how Nguyen handled that weigh in

Knee Rider and Jaydub like this.
  9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

She gives a really important message: no matter how strong or confident someone seems, they can still fall prey to being in an abusive relationship.

Knee Rider and axelb like this.
  10. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

So in that video it says he is now dating some other woman in MMA. I must assume she heard about this incident... I don't understand the psychology here... why would you date someone with a clear history of domestic violence? I guess she thinks it won't happen to her too for some reason?

I do understand the psychology of why abused people stay with their abuser, but not why a yet-to-be-abused person would agree to start a relationship with an abusive person.

11. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Because while there are a lot of factors to do with male attractiveness which are pretty well documented and understandable objectively, subjectively reason doesn't enter into it. To quote an old dating guru "If they're not attracted to you there's nothing you can do. If you can make them attracted to you there's nothing they can do."

12. David Harrison

Because abusers tend to be adept at manipulating people. I'm sure he's convinced her that it was "their fault" and she's special so he wouldn't do that to her. Then the psychological control ratchets up, and then the physical abuse starts.

As Ben says, it takes attraction at first to want to believe those kind of lies. Abusers prey on both people's deepest insecurities and their hopes and dreams.

Knee Rider and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'll be honest and say I don't get it either. 7 billion people in the world. Find one that's not a known domestic abuser. There are literally millions of them.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. David Harrison

If only life were that simple.

Even outside of abusive relationships, think about how many people you've known who've stuck around in relationships that made them miserable.

I guess you could give an evolutionary argument for it; choice of mate was incredibly limited for the vast majority of our time on the planet.

Knee Rider likes this.
  15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Again, honestly I think life can be that simple.
    I'd not consider a relationship, or break one off, with someone if I found out they don't politely hold doors open for people. There are just certain things that are beyond the pale.
    I'd never date someone that smoked. Loads of things. Being a known domestic abuser is right up there as a turn off.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I also don't get why he's accepted in gyms. Why are Alpha fail training with him unless they tacitly condone what he's done?

SWC Sifu Ben likes this.
  17. David Harrison

I'm with you on that, and I don't understand it either, but it is incredibly common so something other than stupidity is going on here.

I don't believe your line of thinking is realistic or practical, and it comes too close to blaming the victim for me.

Knee Rider likes this.
  18. David Harrison

Money?

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It does. I guess I see a world of difference between being with a partner who slowly changes over time (or hides their true self) to become abusive and how hard that can be to deal with, and escape from, compared to newly shacking up with someone that already has a known history of being an abuser.
    Isn't the flip side of this saying that women (in this case) have no agency or power to determine who they get into relationships with? When people get rid of partners all the time when they find out they aren't suitable.
    It's a grey area for sure but quire frankly if that Julian idiot whacks his new girlfriend at some point it won't be surprising.

20. David Harrison

I would be asking what insecurities and problems does she have to want to do that. I can't imagine someone happy in themselves doing it. Just like saying "I don't get why anyone would cut or burn themselves to feel better, why don't they just not do it?" or "Why would anyone hang themselves? It's so easy not to!".

It may well show a lack of agency, but it is in no way exclusive to women. Many men enter into psychologically or physically abusive relationships.

Unfortunately it is probably inevitable.

Knee Rider likes this.