Is this chi?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by travelguy90, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Black41

Black41 Click Clack Blaow!

Bang up job you did on explaining gravity, wish you would've taught my science classes. I did have a teacher in high school that made science pretty dam fun.

What I would be more interested in hearing is a debate between say you and Dr. Klinghardt (since he's the one I've been following and found to explain some things and is MD, Phd). Since where I'm coming from I can only offer what has been reported. Like a doc once said, "I could teach you how to remove an apendix in 20 minutes, but it would take me several years to teach you what to do if it goes wrong." Similarly debating with you is like trying to solve a bad operation, it keep blowing up in my face, but I enjoy the debate as it's a highly efficient way to understand something, at least presenting arguments and such.

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Not at all - below I'll give you a nice simple test you can do to test the basic predictions, and it wouldn't take long to do these either. If your results do not match up with theirs then let them know and they'll most likely re-examine the evidence.

Take two spheres, one made of metal, one of wood. Stand on a high building and drop them - they will fall at the same rate. Measuring this rate is simple - they fall under an acceleration of roughly 9.8 metres per second per second. There you go, test of gravity on Earth.

Anyone can do this test. There are plenty of others which can also be done, requiring limited maths. These will give you a basic idea of gravity. Now if you want to get into the higher reaches you'll need to put some years of study in (well, probably just a few months of really serious study), but you can easily demonstrate the theory to anyone. No one seems to be able to do that with chi.

Also a poor example - it didn't supernova before you started doing this, therefore your belief is likely fallacious.

A theory is the highest amount of certainty we will invest a concept with - before that it's generally a hypothesis. Scientific 'laws' are mathematical rather than theoretical, and are close approximations to what actually happens. Newton's Laws of Motion, for example, are wrong if you get to relativistic speeds - but they're still a good model and so a mathematical law.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Cheers :)
    Now you've written that I remember doing one of those in science with paper and a weight

Damn it!
    What if I was carrying on a tradition that had existed in my community for, as far as we knew, all time? This example stuff is why I couldn't understand Plato.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Glad I could help. Science is fascinating (fact, not belief) so I always do my best to explain where I can. It's damned impressive stuff that we've done - which is a large part of why I hold such a grudge against mysticism, generally it involves an attempt to belittle the incredible achievements the human race has managed so far by saying it was god's work, or that there's some ancient wisdom which is better than the understanding we've gained through hard work and experience.

See, I can find a lot of his writings, and pages written by him and his followers, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything objective - or any biographical information. Where exactly did he qualify as an MD and get his PhD from?

I always enjoy a good debate - one which gets heated generally just shows that people are passionate about the subject.

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Well, then you've got to see how your creation myth goes. See, if you have a creation myth where the sun was created before the community, then your theory falls down once more. Also there's calendar shifts which may have happened in the memory of your community - they must've got the date wrong. Finally over all that time I find it highly unlikely that someone wasn't rendered non-virginal before the sacrifice. Too many problems there, but feel free to try again - I love these questions. ;)

6. Southpaw535

Haha thought you might. For someone who did ok in school I really do struggle with comparitive examples like this. Its like I can understand overall concepts but my brain shuts down when I try to get anymore specific. Love these sort of things but buggered if I can get my head round them most of the time :D

Presumably if me and my ancestors are praying to the sun we'd be doing it because we believed it gave us life. I could invent some story about how the sun brought our society to life by giving us light and therefore plants etc. but I have a feeling you'd shoot that down pretty quick. The virgin is the only one I can attempt to counter by changing it to a virgin baby but since I've already said the sacrifice was on a specific date there's too much room for error with the birth, carriage, etc.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well, that is what you are doing, isn't it?

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I practice these things a lot - it's the easiest way to explain what I'm doing at work to people and get them to go along with it so a large part of my day is spent rapidly creating and/or deconstructing analogies and comparitive stories.

Well, what'd happen if other people were around? We're rapidly stretching the realms of believability here. Are you sacrificing one person for the village across the valley as well, who have different beliefs and seem to be doing fine?

9. Southpaw535

The virgin sacrificing? At first I was going with it just being something I decided to do one day but you have a point that I would of either been raised to do it or been indoctrinated by another person/group that had done it before me. If you don't mean the sacrificing thing then I have no idea

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  10. Southpaw535

Not something I'm used to but its fun. May start doing this more often.

If I'm doing it to prevent a supernova (how in the world I would know what one is and still believe in sacrificing virgins I don't know so please don't ask :hat:)
    then the other infidel types would be surviving off our worship. If the sun went boom to kill them it would have to kill its faithful subjects too or if it protected us somehow it would still no longer be the sun as we know it. I'm not a scientist but I imagine our crops would suffer somehow if the sun's size, radiation and light emmitance drastically changed.

This is hugely off topic though so as much as I'm enjoying this I think I'm going to leave it there :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  11. Pretty In Pink

Lmao! No, I mean Chi! It's just been something that has been practised and believed, but never proved! Other than the obvious, true benefits of Qigong, such as good circulation, Chi itself has never been proved. :/

12. Southpaw535

Well I look like a tool

I completely agree so why is chi belief "something I'm doing"?

13. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Alright, alright, alright. Lack of proof does not signify lack of fact. It signifies lack of the techniques needed.

Talking about gravity: do any of you understand how massive objects actually bend space to create the gravity effect? Explain it, cuz I wanna know!

14. Pretty In Pink

The highest level of knowledge I have of Physics is like at a college level, not very high ^^

In a vacuum, two objects will cling together, the bigger one will move less though, (because it is bigger and harder to move) you can do this in the classroom!

Now in space, the objects are much more massive, and they get so big, that they can pull light (only slightly, but enough to become noticeable) in a different direction.

Now black holes are SO massive, that they can pull gravity towards it and light can't actually escape.

That's about as much as I know.

Why aren't we talking about Chi?

15. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Lack of proof suggests lack of existence, unless you're prepared to agree with me and follow my worship of the great pink sentient space teapot - he will take away the chi and bestow negative karma upon those who do not follow his teachings.

They don't actually bend space, that's a mathematical representation which simply makes it easier to understand what is actually going on. As to how, you're going there to one of the fundamental laws of the universe - and we're currently investigating it quite heavily, various theories are gaining ground as we speak.

So apparently we can investigate, test and understand such fundamental aspects of the universe as gravity, matter-energy equivalency, quantum fluctuations, and relativity, but you're claiming chi is somehow more undetectable, harder to understand and more complex than all of these things?

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Precisely my point - no need for belief in horse poop to get effects

17. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Ch'i wouldn't be hard to find if we knew where to start looking. Like in the teapot.

18. Pretty In Pink

We know where to find it, you claim to be able to see it. Said it yourself. Show us it and you're sorted! :D

19. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

20. Pretty In Pink

Ha! Now come on, don't back out of claims now! I wanna see xD