Is Tai Chi for fighting?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by GrandmasterAdam, Jul 6, 2008.

1. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

I'm not srearching for a "proof". I know that many Taiji people are good in fighting, but generaly Taiji havn't a good reputation as a fighting art. I only see a lack of of Taiji fighters in the martial arts community.

2. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Well, seeing as you asked ... I'm absolutely the best silat taiji fighter I know of, with bucket loads (and years) of experience under my belt :). Trust me.

3. fatb0y

fatb0y Valued Member

I love the old contradict yourself in the same thread technique as used by many before you. As these are in direct contradiction of each other perhaps you will tell us which is actually what is most important. I find it strange that you post vids of people flying, kicking other people at someone, running a wall of death around people and propelling them at an opponent, hanging limbs out like a washing line and think that is good demonstration of taiji but think that real people sparring in a sport contest is something to be criticised.

4. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

Walang Kadung - I don't doubt about yours fighting abilities. In my opinion is good to "try" Taiji with others martial arts. Also Silat is a good choice.

fatb0y - There are no good "fighting abilities" without the "correct understanding and use of the Taiji principles", when we talking about Taiji fighting abilities.
    I'm not saying that (Taiji) demonstrations are better than "real people sparring". All has it own purpose. Martial Arts the artistic and traditional side; Combat sports the competitory side and rules; Self-defense the reality component and full-contact limitations

5. fatb0y

fatb0y Valued Member

You weren't talking only about taiji - hence my post. Anyways whatever point you were trying to make is not worth going on about - laters.