Is systema just a taiji rip off?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by stevieb8006, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

True, but "Systema" as it used outside of Russia/Former Soviet Union refers pretty exclusively to one of two variants (as identified by Fusen). His confusion with ROSS was because it is "Rossijskaya Otechestvennaya Sistema Samozashschity" - which fits in with your point above.

Technically you could teach shotokan and Win Chun and call it "Mixed Martial Arts" - it technically is, but the meaning of MMA is very specific these days - same with Systema IMO

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Whats the background to Kevin s's articles??

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There's plenty of documentation, it's in the same book as the proof of TKD's 2000 year old history, the true history of ninjutsu and proof of everything the Pathwalker's guild says.

If only we could find it...

Mitch

4. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Waitwaitwaitwait...you mean the Pathwalkers aren't LARPing gypsy Fremen?!?

SWEEEEET!

Sign me up now!!!

5. RobP

RobP Valued Member

This is Mikhails current bio, taken off his website:

"Career: Worked in militia in RF Ministry of Interior Security Department, trained the Minister’s security guards. Advisor for RF Minister of Justice.
    Deputy Head of RF Ministry of Interior Management Department, fulfilled personal commissions of RF Ministry of Interior Security Department. Senior Public Prosecutor in Organisational and Inspectoral Department of RF General Prosecutor Office. Assistant to RF General Prosecutor.

During 10 years served in special units, participated in military actions, hostage release operations, worked as instructor in centre for operative and technical training of special task unit. Veteran of military actions and veteran of labour.

Has national awards from RF President, Minister of Interior. Awarded with personalised name arms by Minister of Justice Y.Chaika. Also has awards from Russian Orthodox Church, is a member of Board of Trustees for Construction and Restoration of Russian Orthodox Church Temples and Monasteries in Russia and abroad"

As far as documentation goes, I don't have access to Soviet military records. I think Yesterdays hits the nail on the head - I'm not sure how much official anything you can find for these units even today when things are more "open"

My feeling from talking to Mikhail and others is a lot of his training was with colleagues in units. When I have trained with him in Moscow there have been members of some different units there, though it seems on an individual basis rather than as a unit. That's his open class though, what he does in an official capacity working for the Minister of Justice I don't know

I've been to his house a couple of times, there are some photos he has of the "old days". Some are around on the web, others probably not.

You can also check the backgrounds of people around him - Konstantin Komarov, Sergei Ozhereliev for example. Of course the difficulty with research is language and how accessible information is and I guess politics will rear its head at some point

I also have some contacts within the SF community in the UK, one or two have had dealings with Mikhail's people and have only positive things to say.

In any case it's easy to run up some documents on the PC these days. I know there are questions asked of anyone who claims to have taught SF and rightly so. A couple of people were caught out last year making claims, so I don't think it's the sort of untruth that can be covered up for long these days

For me, having been around these people and seeing how others react to them, seeing their operational knowledge and the access to people and places they have - not to mention where Mikhail works - I don't doubt they are who they say they are

6. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Click here for links to Russian sources with English translations

It seems members of the Russian Orthodox Church, including military chaplains, considers Ryabko's Systema to be a heretical cult.

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I don't see any links there, perhaps their on another page of the thread you linked or maybe I'm just being dumb. Could you just repost them here for our easy reference.

8. RobP

RobP Valued Member

I believe the person being quoted is Anatoly Berestov should people wish to Google.

On the other hand
    "In November 2012, Patriarch Kirill awarded M.V.Ryabko Jubilee medal and a diploma in memory of the victory in the Patriotic War of 1812"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj5b0HjXRgI"]правда о ÑиÑтеме РÑбко - YouTube[/ame]

9. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Wow, he's older than he looks then!

:D

10. RobP

RobP Valued Member

:D 1812? It's only ten past nine now...

11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Just send me a cheque for $2000.

Once the bank has cleared it I'll send you your stillsuit kit, kris knife, instructional DVD, black belt and a copy of "Tramps and Thieves" by Cher.

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I give you this at half and double the DVD

13. David Harrison

You've got the director's cut of Dune?

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Fixed that for you.

15. David Harrison

But now you're missing the Gypsy element.

So how about a Welsh choir singing David Essex's back catalogue?

16. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Don't give anyone ideas!

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Dexy's Midnight Runners anyone?

18. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Gypsy element? Oh,you want my copy of "Music of the Traveling People of Ireland". Tinkers indigenous,gypsys not.

19. David Harrison

I presume MadMonk108 mentioned gypsies because we have a place in Romania. So, no tinkers for us!