Is self-practice efficient?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by nintyplayer, Sep 24, 2013.

1. nintyplayer

nintyplayer Valued Member

Let's say a student studied under a Tai Chi Chuan teacher (or Kung Fu, for that matter) for 3 years, learned the long form, short form, (and all open-hand forms), practiced push hands, and learned the weapons forms that are taught there, then went to a place where Tai Chi Chuan (or at least, the same style) is not taught.

Would that person practicing on their own bring the same benefits -- in terms of both health and combat application -- as a student studying under that teacher for a longer period of time?

I've heard it said by some that a Tai Chi Chuan teacher must learn from a master for at least 10 years. Is a person not "qualified" to teach their Tai Chi, then, if they studied under a master for 5 years and then practiced by themselves for 15 years?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You cannot learn combat application unless you have someone to combat.

Mitch

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You don't have to lie on the couch and masturbate for 10 years before you are "qualified" to have sex with your girl.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  4. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

What does your instructor recommend that you do? Certainly you could tell him that you're moving away and could ask him for some recommendations of places to train at or visit, and how to practice your skills in your current art.

I'm not military, but as far as combat goes, I'm under the impression Gun Fu is far more often used in combat than Taiji is.

As far as qualification to teach goes, does that answer really matter? Are you looking to practice, or to teach?

5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I would say that would be too much to be focusing on, without a teacher for guidance.
    I'd practice the long form, supplementary exercises/jibengong, and try and push hands with as many other Taiji'ers as possible; whether that be meeting people from another style, or attending seminars etc.

Focus on the basics and the core skills.

6. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

NOW he tells me <SIGH>

:) :) :) :) :)

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'nintyplayer',

I try and keep things simple - if you have someone who can train you, train with them; if you have people to train with, train with them; if you are by yourself, train by yourself.

NOBODY can tell you the 'right' thing because there is NO right thing, there are just options and possibilities - some people will totally stagnate without a teacher others will flourish - heck historically some (allegedly) even achieved enlightenment...

Do what you can and ENJOY it...

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This is absolute true. I have seen too many people who moved into a new place, could not find a teacher, and quitted.

No matter how long that you may follow your teacher, your teacher will die someday. What's the value of college education? If you have graduated from college, you should have the ability to study anything without a teacher.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

This analogy or comment of martial art study and college is a tad off.

First, martial art study, goes far beyond 4 years in comparison to college.

Second, a college professor isn't concerned with the well being (per assistance, interaction, etc.) of the student like a martial art instructor

Third, college education isn't about the assurance of success after graduation. A concerned instructor in martial arts desires to have a student to succeed

Sure, a instructor my die. But so do parents. this does not mean that either had not stopped in preparing their next generation to continue on

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

College graduation is like the 1st degree black belt. It's only the starting point. There are:

- master degree,
    - PhD degree,
    - post doctor,

after that. Is MA training harder than to find a new solution for "travelling salesman" problem? I think not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_salesman_problem

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm confused about why you are comparing practising on your own with learning from a teacher, as though they were alternatives to each other. Practising can be done on your own or with others, and you should always be learning from it. But you can only learn anything new from a teacher.

If you reach the point where your teacher hasn't got anything more that they can teach you, then you need to find another teacher who can teach you more. If there is no teacher available then of course you should keep practising, but unless you have already achieved a very level of skill then I don't think you would really learn a great deal more. And without anyone to practise 'on' then you will not progress in terms of combat application under any circumstances.

In terms of how many years before you can teach other people, I'd say you would need to have a lot more than 5 years of being taught, regardless of how much time you have spent practising on your lonesome.

12. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I'd have to disagree with that - it is possible to learn from other sources and even (GASP) to invent / discover things yourself...

13. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Seconded. A huge amount of my knowledge base comes from private study and introspection.

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It depends upon how much you can relate a system to its function.

Is a thai boxer who also trains in judo a better thai boxer or just a better Fighter for it.

15. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

That depends on what his aims are and how he much he understands and utilises what he studies.

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Well I suppose another source would be a 'teacher' in effect! Whether it be a book that someone has written, or even...whisper it... the internet!

To invent/discover things yourself you'd have to be incredibly good, and incredibly experienced. Dare I say: a master?

17. 47MartialMan

Is there a difference of Self Practice, Self Taught, Study on Own?

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Can you learn by yourself? Yes! you can. But you will need to have a solid foundation.

A: How did you beat him in that fight?
    B: I used my knee to strike the upper inside of his leading leg. When he steps back, I pushed his neck and hook his other leg while his leading leg was still in the air.

If you can't learn anything from the above Q&A, you may not ready to be "self taught" yet.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  19. 47MartialMan

That may not be self taught. This may seem more of using what was taught to you