Is Pastafarianism a real religion?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiMac, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Steel Accord

Steel Accord Valued Member

Ah, I see. I would argue the same standard does not apply the other way simply because you are right, you can't gauge how serious or in what form they hold their belief but you can examine core church.

TFM was first written by Bobby Henderson in 2005 as a way to protest the teaching of creationism to the Kansas state board of education. (More power to him on that front.)

In other words, the deity was created as a weapon to attack and undermine religious institutions. (You are absolutely correct in Chadderz being a model of his faith.)

Now make no mistake, I am not going to play some kind of Christian victim act, they are as free to take their lighthearted religion as seriously as I do mine. I'm simply laying out that the religion was created as farce, not to foster spirituality or promote a healthy inner life.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Sort of.

Śrāvakayāna, Mahāyāna, and Vajrayāna.

Although within those you will have different sects. For example Japanese Buddhism often falls under the Mahāyāna banner and Tibetan Vajrayāna, all of those will have different lineages or sects.

3. Steel Accord

I would say Mahāyāna simply because my teachings in Buddhism have always come from the Chinese interpretations, which I believe Mahāyāna is the most common school of thought.

4. Dean Winchester

Cool. Have you read much from Tiantai?

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I dont know steel accord - pastafarianism is spiritual in that it was created to promote personal growth through critical thinking, even if you consider it as a "farce"

6. Steel Accord

Fair enough but my own religious background has also promoted critical thinking.

"Blind faith, is false faith," I was taught. "Always question, even and especially God. Asking questions is how you learn." So it's not a lesson unique to it. I still remained convinced that those who hold it mostly do so as a way to make fun of other religious institutions.

In addition, I'm not sure every Pastafari is even being that critical a thinker. If all it took to be a critical thinker was make wry observations that others made before you, every internet troll would be called a "great critical thinker."

7. Steel Accord

No sadly I have not. If you would like to extend me a link or recommend a book, I would be happy to read it.

If I might explain, I am a Buddhist but it's a relatively recent addition to my life, only three or four years have I considered myself a practicing one. My knowledge of the faith is thus, pretty basic, mostly just around the Buddha's origins, the Four Noble Truths, and the Noble Eightfold Path.

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

We should definitely be unsure of the depth of everyone's beliefs, and non beliefs for that matter.

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

You can grow through critical thinking and you can grow through spirituality. It doesn't make them the same thing. It's not spiritual, no matter which way you try and re define the word.

10. Dean Winchester

I will PM you some links. :)

11. Steel Accord

Thank you so much.

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

what is "spirituality" then?
    i fear it too will have the same issues as trying to define religion.

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, you're right, I did say that. Now I've forgotten where I was going with it. :bang: Stupid me! :mad:
    Good call, btw.

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Pastafarianism was founded because christians want genisis and ID to be taught in science lessons instead of evolution, which is actually science.

So until the Christians stop being so dam silly, and thinking stone age stories are the equivalent to space age science, 'll keep worshiping his noodly lord. Ramen.

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

There's no such thing as spiritual, unless you mean make believe or pretending.

16. Dean Winchester

Mmmm Ramen...

Attached Files:

• Mmm.jpg
      Mmm.jpg
      File size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
  17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think that's what he means: make believe or pretending.

18. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  19. Steel Accord

Hey don't look at me, I think creationism and genesis literalism is damaging and want science to be taught in school as much as you do. Yet still am a practicing Christian.

Really why is this thought so prevalent? "Christians are ALL X!" Yes, every Christian on the face of the Earth believe in ALL the same things! (Sarcasm) Never mind the Catholic Church has long since accepted the theory of evolution and has the Pontifical Academy of Science.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  20. Steel Accord

No such thing as spiritual? So philosophy, art, and introspection all those things are just wastes of time and we all should become engineers, accountants, and/or biologists and never seek meaning beyond anything physical?

How this got so many thank yous makes me sad. Especially on a martial arts forum, where one of the reasons I took up this practice was to further my spirituality.