Is Pastafarianism a real religion?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiMac, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Segaki (service of the feeding of the hungry ghosts).

This is for Obon which is the honouring of the spirits of your ancestors. Now whether you believe in literal hungry ghosts or whether you simply use it as a time of contemplation on greed and what not depends on the practitioner. It does have a very religious feel to it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4oTfGG9cxo"]円満寺 å¾¡ç›†æ–½é¤“é¬¼ä¼šå¤§æ³•è¦ å¹³æˆ27å¹´7月11æ—¥ å…¶ã®1 - YouTube[/ame]

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Don't we know what someone believes by what he tells us he believes?

But getting more to the point, it sounds like you're suggesting that the definition of "religion" be expanded to include "satire about someone else's religion." I'm not comfortable with that expansion, because I would think it destroys all meaning of the word "religion." :dunno:

And as an aside, "reason" and "religious belief" are not mutually exclusive, so you're making a false dichotomy when you pit them against each other. Just saying.

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Where does that put religions that do not necessarily believe in a deity (such as LaVeyan Satanism, certain aspects of Buddhism, etc)?

There was a documentary about them a few years back carried out by one of the major channels here in the UK. The main reporter spent months tailing the church, getting harassed by them, followed, recorded, etc.

As it turned out, the Church of Scientology basically harassed certain people in Government non-stop. Phoning every day, several times a day, in the middle of the night, etc. That went on for an extremely long time. Eventually, said people caved in.

They did name names as to who those people in Government were, but it was a while ago and I didn't retain the information too well. Creepy folk.

Where do you stand on religions that believe in a concept of a deity, a metaphor, an ideal or a figurative entity as opposed to a more "traditional" one?

Who tells you what that deity believes?

I jest, that's not a discussion really worth getting into :p

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

To clarify - a believer doesn't have to have a deity, just a philosophy, usually some beliefs about an after-life and a community or other people who share that belief/philosophy.

5. aikiMac

I don't hold that belief in a literal deity is a requirement for something to be a "religion." What you do need, though, is a set of beliefs on the origin, nature, and purpose of the universe broadly, and of humans in particular, and of what happens after death, and a set of rituals for burials (the question of life after death) and weddings (because family life is at the core of our purpose in life).

The example in my own mind is Buddhism, where the literal existence of Brahman (or any other god) is not necessary to the religion as a whole -- and yes, Buddhism is a religion. There's no question in my mind that it started as and then covered over all of Asia as a religion.

LOL! :p That was funny, though!

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i don't see christianity as reasonable at all. and as we've discussed, eastern orthodoxy is what i have the most experience in. i have even worst thoughts about other christian sects, islam, judaism and odinism frankly.

i'm willing to concede that religions may have a positive impact in some peoples' lives. but i don't see the use for it, at all.

that's just me though. i realize that as someone who proclaims to be an unbeliever, i am actually in the world-wide minority.

7. aikiMac

Aye, the "conveyor belt" chapter in Ken Wilber's "Integral Spirituality" spoke to me when I was wondering what's the point of religion at a systems level (not addressing a specific religion, but just religion generally). Wilber explained very well that there is, in fact, a point to it. There is a distinct value in religion.

But when we get down to specific religions, are they all equally valuable, or equally true? I don't think so, and actually, neither does Wilber.

As they say on the web, "YMMV," but I've crossed paths with people I genuinely think of as "mystics" -- people who really did encounter what can only be termed as "God." That's my starting point, because after meeting someone like that I can't start anywhere else. It gives me a metric by which I can measure (subjectively, perhaps, I grudgingly admit, but I sincerely try to be objective) the claims of the founders of specific religions. There is no doubt in my mind that some of them are absolutely bogus, completely made up, utter fiction and fantasy. Others, though ... I can't dismiss them.

Pastafarianism, btw, I consider a satirical joke against religion, and a funny one at that, but not a religion itself. :p That's why the news article was so odd to me.

8. Mangosteen

what is ymmv?

9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Your mileage may vary

And I think this whole discussion speaks to how difficult it is to set a specific characteristics for the definition of religion. It's incredibly difficult given the vast diversity of belief systems which have existed and do exist.

Personally I find a group which mocks the idea of beliefs being tolerated simply because they have unverifiable assertions many people believe, being accepted as a legitimate religion somewhere deliciously ironic though :evil:

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

But if I say I do, what exactly can you say against it, its ridiculous because there's no proof?

11. Mangosteen

how do you even prove if someones belief is real?
    as in, how do you know they truly "believe"

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Their words tell me what they want to believe: Their actions tell me what they do believe

13. Giovanni

no one knows mangosteen. that's the point.

14. aikiMac

LOL, no, if from your tone and body language I think you're sincere, then I'd say, "You're the first real believer I've ever heard of!" :p

:eek: Odd question. I think to myself of a comparison to a more common religion, say, Roman Catholic, or in the western USA, the plentiful Calvary Chapel Christians. How do you know that so-and-so believes that religion?

To me it is apparent by what they do on weekends and religious holidays (especially with their children, if they have any), and by the stickers they put on their cars.

15. Giovanni

i've got a dollar for anyone that can explain a "spirit" to me that doesn't sound like deepak chopra at the tail end of an lsd trip.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That which is said to be the true essence of any being

17. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I don't like th idea of a government determining what is and is not a religion....

18. Dead_pool

I often eat pasta, drink heavily and think critically, so that's all the main tenants.

Also if you judge people on their actions, no Republicans could be christain.

19. Dead_pool

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg[/ame]

They already do, badly.

20. aikiMac

I dunno about that. I've always thought that the central belief is that an invisible and undetectable spaghetti monster (note the adjectives) created the universe. :thinking:

As to your second point, I would say the same about Democrats, but then, I've always distanced myself from both parties. :p :jester: :D