Is Ninjutsu Really Effective?2

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kurama1234, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Generally it's a case of: You get to attack with whatever you like and continue to try and dominate them &/or counter whatever is applied

I wouldn't say it's full intensity as there's no gloves etc and it's not like a sparring match, but I gave it my best shot every time
    I've had a crack with a padded stick a couple of times too

Nowadays they are all in their late 60s / early 70s so it tends to be more like flow sparring in BJJ

2. Dunc

Yeah catching a punch and applying omote gyaku on it is not a waza in the buj

3. Dunc

Hi

All the buj folk on this forum seem to agree that catching a punch and applying a lock on the wrist is not a good idea

Do you have other techniques, that are listed in the curriculum, that you feel are impractical?

If you aren't familiar with the curriculum then please have a look at my vids here https://vimeo.com/user6962939
    And pick out any that you feel are not viable / useful if trained correctly

Thanks

I think there are two points here:

1 - Is there footage of the buj being used in anger?

Not really for the reasons outlined many times, but there is footage of people training elements under pressure and in free from contexts. Even some with folk from other styles. PR posted some for example

Do you have some clips of your own training under pressure that you could share as a benchmark?

2 - Should a mega dan be able to beat a brown belt BJJ?

One shouldn't judge anyone in the buj by their grade - this has been explained to death
    And whilst I think Doug screwed up he did win the contest...

4. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

You wouldn't lose to anything in the Bujinkan? Maybe not a take ori, but how about a rear naked choke? You're impervious to ankle locks, shoulder cranks, neck cranks, elbow hyper-extensions, kicks to the knees and groin and ankles and ribs, punches to the face and chest, knife hands to the neck, shoulder throws, hip throws, sacrifice throws, single-arm chokes, leg triangles, calf slicers and sleeve chokes?

Again, you're mistaking techniques with training methods. I could watch a less-than-ideal YMCA Judo school and say, "If you beat me, it won't be with anything you learned in Judo", knowing full well that a good Judoka will slam and choke me in a second.

So, it's not Judo that's the problem, just that school's training method.

5. Dunc

I use take ori all the time in BJJ...

Just sayin

6. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

The training methods are part of Judo. The most important part, in fact.

Hey, I know a "move" that can win a tennis match, even against the best player in the world! Observe my grace and power as I toss the ball up in the air for myself and execute a forehand smash that goes super fast!

7. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

Looks to me like he effectively used Ninjutsu to diffuse a situation without even having to throw a punch. Case closed; might as well end the thread right now.

8. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

Last time I checked, BJJ was a sport, with rules and stuff on what you can and can't do. Ninjutsu/Bujinkan is not. So really this is not even comparable.

If the BJJ brown belt was able to get the "mega dan" down to the mat, the "mega dan" would likely use small joint manipulation to break the brown belt's fingers in a dozen places, gouge their eyes out, etc.

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Awesome. How is that taught in your class?

:banana:

10. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

There's no such technique in the Bujinkan. That I am aware of. I've been to several seminars, and have never even seen anyone attempt to "catch a punch."

It's clear you know very little about what taijutsu/Bujinkan really is/does.

11. Dunc

To be fair he was responding to this

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This is usually said by those who have no experience of what fighting actually entails - in fact almost without exception it is

And I am not even dignifying the "there are rules" argument with a response

13. David Harrison

It is an excuse made through fear of testing yourself. It comes from wanting to believe that you are an unstoppable killing machine, but deep down you know the average jock would rip your head off. Either that or it's because you don't want the students you're conning to find out how you couldn't fight yourself out of a wet paper bag.

Only people willing to lose and have their **** handed to them will improve.

14. garth

garth Valued Member

bassai posted

Well Don doesn't like me and i'm not Dons biggest fan either, but credit where its due, he stuck to his guns even in the face of an idiot and his back up.

15. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

Well one thing that I quickly learned cross-training with submission grapplers and Judoka, is that you can't rely on small-joint manipulations and eye gouges when facing solid ground skills, anymore than you could rely on eye gouges, throat strikes and groin-grabs in a standup fight against a seasoned boxer or kickboxer. These are "desserts and toppings", solid ground basics are meat and potatoes.

As for the omote gyaku from a punch, in the Genbukan I believe it was part of one of the kyu to perform it against a lapel grab, then also against a punch, but I might be wrong. Regardless, it would just be a part of learning the technique, like a drill. You could see some BJJ or Judo guys shrimping up and down the dojo and ask, "How is THAT useful in a fight?", not knowing that it's just a small part of a bigger picture.

16. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Sorry but....

You won't find out he can because you will never put yourself in a situation to. That would require you humbling yourself enough to visit a master in Japan and put your money when your keyboard is. Many have and guess what, they found out for themselves how effective the techniques and training methods really were. It's okay though, nobody said anything about grabbing punches, but they can be intercepted and redirected. Catching a punch is just a pleasant way to demonstrate what would happen if somebody punched at you while you're wearing shuko(hand claws). You might believe you punch faster than Lord Vishnu but when your fist hits sharp steel, you might wonder why you impaled your fist like that.:dunno: But I digress, you talking about how fast your punches are and amazing your throws are is just anecdotal(to you), nobody has any proof that you can punch any better than Daniel-san when he first met Mr Miyagi. Unless you have footage of you besting a master of ninjutsu, it is just words.

ps-I also never have said you should trust a foreign 15dan at their rank, I always talk with respect of those with traditional ranks in these arts.

17. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

The whole scenario is preposterous. If you put two people in a cage and told them to fight to the death they would each do whatever it takes to stay alive. It would not matter one bit who has studied what or what color anyone's belt is.

18. David Harrison

That's an odd opinion for someone who pays to train in a martial art. If all the stuff you are learning doesn't matter one bit, why do you train?

19. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

That's like saying that the military doesn't need to train because they'll just freak out and go psycho when it's on the line, and do anything to survive. Training is key. Someone that has been doing Judo and Karate for 20 years, thrown into a death match with Joe Sixpack, is going to have a distinct advantage. He could always lose, but the smart money would be on him.

20. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

It would matter how fit, mentally prepared and physically skilled each person was in relation to the other. Proper training addresses this. Fosters this. Forges this. Maybe awards belts for this dependent on tradition.

If it was just a matter of will then neirher would die.