Is Mackenzie Dern serious?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Anjelica, May 12, 2018.

1. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

She was recently asked to leave MMA Lab. When your coaches don't want to train you anymore that means something is wrong. When she missed weight by 7 pounds last night I knew the problem then. Shes not training. They asked her to leave because shes not committed. No discipline. I predict a brutal loss in her near future. Maybe that will wake her up. Maybe she needs that.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's easy for us to pass judgment and accuse her of being unmotivated and undisciplined. We only heard one side of the story. Until we hear hers, we will never really know what's going in her life. Saying she needs a brutal loss is shallow.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I take it, you were filled in later by both parties, right?

Because, it really is the limit to judge people, knowing one side only.
    Or not even that side, but judging them, by what you think what is the case.

And you're not only judging her, but also wishing her bad, without knowing anything.
    Charming.

I really, really dislike people, that would do something like that.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Ugh, I can't believe I am going to type this, but I think that people are being unfair to Angelica on this matter (and only this one).

Being a sports fan IS a shallow thing. People pick a person or teams to root for for whatever reason. It is the nature of the beast. The design of the team jersey. The region the person/ team comes from. Various things in interviews that come out. Watching them do their sport. Sex appeal. The list goes on and on. As a sports fan, you get to decide whom you root for or against.

Whenever you pick one side, you are picking the other to lose. Sometimes, it is that you dislike one side so much that is your motivation for who to root for or against. Whenever you pick one side, you are against the other. It doesn't mean you wish deeply bad things against them. on a personal level It is a sports event and one picks a side- that is all. There are winners and losers in sports. That is what being a sports fan is all about.

Everything that has come out so far has indicated she doesn't respect the sport. Missing weight by 7 pounds is in and of itself disrespectful. Especially when the weight class itself is 1115 p. Many pro fighters have expressed this opinion too, so it isn't unfair for a fight fan to have that opinion as well. She hasn't come out and said she had some sort of health issue. And if she did, she should have withdrawn from the fight.

Then, the fact that she was kicked off a training team for not taking training seriously. That is evidence. Posts from people who have trained with her are coming out saying she prefers to party over training. That is evidence that is fair to consider. Her demeanor and actions surrounding this are also evidence she isn't taking it seriously. Maybe she hasn't come out with much to say because she has no defense for her actions? To me, the fact that she hasn't come out and said anything of note is also evidence not in her favor.

I don't root for people like this in the sport. So I too wanted her opponent to win and for her to lose. I think missing weight by 7 pounds is a sort of cheating to give yourself an advantage. I never root for people who miss weight- never. Even when I normally like that fighter. (Khabib and Mini Cain). But ESPECIALLY by that huge of a miss. Cutting weight is a brutal thing to the body. It affects the outcome of the fight. When one does it and the other doesn't, it is an unfair advantage.

Whatever, sports fans get to root for or against whomever they want. It doesn't make them a bad person or wishing personal ill. It is just how being a sports fan works.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Dern was completely unprofessional not making the weight, it was an absolute disgrace and a spit in the face of her opponent. I don't care. If something in her family/personal life stopped her from making weight then it would be serious enough for her not to fight at all.

Trash through and through. I too, hope she gets smashed next fight (at least, if she shows up heavy again).

And she had the absolute cheek to post a picture of her with a new set of scales claiming they were fantastic. The irony blows me away.

SWC Sifu Ben, axelb, StooXex and 2 others like this.
  6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I don't care for one fighter or the other, as I am not into the materia, so I won't comment on that.

But I would never state to *know" what has happened, when I haven't heard the others version of it anyway.
    In that case I would make it clear, that it is my *opinion* or that I *assume* that this is the case, and not that I *know* it is.
    Especially since I got thrown into a situation, where that made a *BIG* difference and had a *big* impact; since then I am totally allergic to crap like that - no matter the person, btw.

For me it is also a difference, if I hope the other might lose his next fight or gets a "brutal loss".

EDIT:
    Why?

Again, I mention, I don't care for either side, and I want to make clear, that I don't know what was the reason or anything.

But why shouldn't she fight, if that were the case.

I was in some of my bigger holes the last few months and I still went and trained the kids and no one would notice - I was even told, that I seem to do better (which is wrong).

Now, I do realize, giving training and fighting is something different!
    I won't deny that at all!

But as long as she thinks she can pull it off (or any person, as I don't really care for her or anything), she should be able to do it (and if the weight and all is a fit, sure).

7. aaradia

Latikos - Making weight is part of what being a professional fighter is about. It is a job expectation. Not doing so is not being a professional and doing you job properly. Especially when missing it by such a large margin you are fighting at the next highest weight class. The difference between weight classes is 10 pounds. She didn't just make the next highest weight class, she was on the upper side of it!

If you had such an issue in your personal life that you can't do part of your job properly, it isn't fair to your opponent. Your personal issues did not affect the performance of your job. Not making weight DOES affect the outcome of a fight. She didn't drain herself the way other fighters do to make weight. She had profound advantage just for having that extra weight.

Pretty in Pink does weight cutting as part of his fight career. So he knows better than we do.

The comparison between your job and hers is not an equitable comparison IMO.

Also, this isn'tis the first time she has missed weight. She has missed weight several times before. It isn't like this is a one time and she has done great in the past. It is a pattern and not a good one.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Hannibal likes this.
  8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

She CONSISTENTLY fails to make weight...she is either lazy or has a crap team...or else is afraid to step up a weight class

As a PROFESSIONAL literally all she has to do is train...zero excuses for being that poor

9. aaradia

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm not defending her not making weight or anything.
    I'm not defending her at all, actually.

I just mentioned, and I'm still behind that, that it's poor to pretend "to know" why she did or didn't do something, without talking or at least knowing about both sides.

For all I know (see what I did there? ;) ), she could be eating burgers every day and being lazy as hell.
    Or she had a bad menu and her menstruation started.

Fact is, I don't *know* what has happened.

If you people here would have written: "I think she screwed up, because she is lazy and doesn't care and with that spit her opponent in the face" - I wouldn't have said anything to it.
    At all.

Because that would be a clear opinion, based on what you have heard.

I hate this "knowing"-part.
    You guys don't know.
    Maybe her stupid scale was broken and she didn't know better (and, yes, I read it happenend more often so it's not a believable point) - no one here can *know*, because no one here was there.

Again: If people say it happened before and she seems lazy and doesn't deserve to be a pro - no problem then.
    Not at all, as long as it is marked as an opinion.

For me that is a *major* difference: "Knowing what happened and why" compared to "assuming or guessing what had happened or why".
    Maybe it's, because I am burnt child here, but to me that is important difference.

As a more day to day comparison: When John Doe says his former girlfriend had done some sexual stuff him and he starts bragging about, suddenly everyone "knows" what a whore she is.
    And hardly anyone actually asks Jane what she actually did do.
    Did she pleasure him, did him invent it to look cool, ...?
    (And no, it didn't happen to me, it is just an example that fits the idea behind "I know" without being able to actually *know*.)

Van Zandt likes this.
  12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I KNOW she consistently fails to make weight
    I KNOW she hates cutting weight
    I KNOW she likes relaxing rather than training
    I KNOW she should be fighting higher weight if she cannot cut
    I KNOW her lack of interest in weight loss is annoying to the UFC, the press and other fighters
    I KNOW that she went straight to the snack table after FAILING to make weight

So all said and done we know a lot more than you think we do and it is MASSIVELY unprofessional

SWC Sifu Ben, aaradia and Dead_pool like this.
  13. aaradia

Uh no. Until Hannibal's last post. I think it was clear that people were expressing their opinions and you are making a straw man argument and false distinctions. We have all been stating clear opinions based on what we heard. And you are taking it to the point where you say you dislike people because they hold that opinion and it affects who they root for or against.

(I agree with Hannibal's post btw. All he said is clearly evident from a lot of sources.) But until then, no one said "I know." (Hence - me saying you are making a straw man argument.)

I have to say, no offense, that I find your sexual comparison a bit on the creepy side and not a good comparison at all. To bring in a weird sexual comparison to discussing a sporting event is really bizarre IMO.

SWC Sifu Ben and Hannibal like this.
  14. Dead_pool

In her own words.....

Ps aside from that, she steam rollered the other fighter.

Perhaps her new nickname of cookie monster is pretty apt!

Hannibal likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

FB_IMG_1526115347130.jpg I lol'd!

VoidKarateka and Hannibal like this.
  16. aaradia

So, in her own words she had no issue making weight except acknowledging her diet was not good and she had an attitude going in that there would not be a problem?

Oh, another thing, the whole missing a flight thing is also unprofessional in these circumstances. And note, she doesn't give a good reason for missing her flight. No "I had a family emergency that caused me to miss the flight."

And the whole, "Hey I wasn't popped for steroids, so it isn't like I did the worse thing possible" attitude does not reflect well on her attitude to me. Just because she didn't do one bad thing, doesn't excuse the other bad thing IMO.

Nope, I am not a fan of hers.

To me, anyone missing weight has a big asterisk next to that win.

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

See the quote above.
    And that was the only part I answered to; as I thought my first post in this thread made clear.

That didn't come to me as if it were an opinion. Simple as that.
    If it was meant like that, please. But it wasn't was it sounded like to me.

People can have all the opinions they want, whether I agree with them or not.
    But when I do disagree I won't pretend otherwise.
    And yes: People, claiming to know things about and therefore judging other people, without having talked to them or listened to their side are not the people, I like t talk to much.

Ass for the bolded (by me) part: In case that weren't a typo, I don't understand the sentence.
    Nope, not trying to be snotty, just trying to see, if I understood it right or need a further explanation.

As I tried to explain several times: I don't care for the event in which it happend, I only reacted to the part, where Angelika suddenly "knew" what had happened without having information (when I understood correctly, all the statements came a while after the weigh-in and not in the same moment (in which Angelica said she "knew it").

Again: This is the only thing I am talking about.
    Not the event itself.
    For all I know and care the fighter might just not care of have tuna growing in her tummy.
    That wasn't my reasoning to answer.

EDIT: I just reread the beginning of the thread.
    Interesting the VanZandt essentially said the same, and it was okay there.

18. aaradia

Eh fair enough on that one "I know" part being missed by me. The rest that I said stands.

"With" being a badly phrased sentence. I will adjust. I have a head cold and am not typing at my best. Sorry.

19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

And that was the only thing I referred to; that's why I only picked that part in my original answer.

Things like that make me jumpy; maybe because I'm a burnt child there, as mentioned above, but I react allergic to it.

Don't get me wrong, but better your phrasing was off and my understanding okay anyway, than the other way around :p

Get well!

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

In English it would still come off as an opinion I think. Because of course the person doesn't know and it's obvious that it's still a guess. She could have said "when she missed weight that's when I guessed why she must have been kicked out of MMA LAB" but it just sounds awkward.