Is JKD really deadly??...

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Tetsujin, Jul 21, 2005.

1. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

i did say both instructor and student, both should after a certain length of time in the art be able to question the function of the art, even if you are training purely for the art itself, in the society we have, do not all instructors at least question the relevance of the art outside in the big arena, and should not the instructor instill in his/her students the requirement to question ang grow(getting too deep now:-(

2. OtacontheOtaku

OtacontheOtaku Banned Banned

JKD is pretty effective... only it's footwork is seriously out of whack. Bruce never learned the proper footwork in Wing Chun and ended up with some funky steps.

3. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

JKD footwork is good. Bruce's footwork might look weird to you because it's not from WC, it's from Fencing.

4. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

OK my mistake, I was up late :D

5. VWarrior

VWarrior Valued Member

lol

6. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

its as a effective as you want it to be.

7. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

That about say's it all for any MA. Good one Tel

Best regards

Pat

8. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

hard trainin,sparring and pressure testing, work your material/Art, work the door(which is pressure testing i suppose) are the only ways of finding out if the MAtist can make it work
    please tell me if i have the wrong end of the stick here :D :confused:

9. taz_jkd_fan

taz_jkd_fan New Member

Jkd In Dundee???

I've moved up from Northampton up to Scotland in Dundee university. In Northampton i was training under Clive, and now I want to continue Jeet kun do in Dundee, but I can't find any training centres!! Does anyone know if there are any places to trainjkd in Dundee??? HELP PLEASE! :confused:

10. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

11. 1 inch lunch

1 inch lunch Valued Member

Anything with a strike of any kind that can be applied with force to someone's throat is deadly right? Simple answer.

"my jkd is so deadly that i can't even say, "whaaaatahhhhhhh," without killing someone."
    FasterThanYou: you just scared the bejesus out of me just typing that.

12. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

think rick young has a student there, his contact details are in martial arts illustrated

13. Len

Len Valued Member

Is JKD deadly? Don't know. Never seen anyone trying to kill someone else with it. I've seen people get beat up by being on the receiving end of it but then again I've seen people get beat up being on the receiving end of other styles as well. Why are you asking all these guys this question? Do you enjoy getting made fun of? LOL :bang: :rolleyes:

14. Shrfu_Eric

Shrfu_Eric New Member

Nicely said ... beat me to it !!!

15. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

The answer is no..... It is the person that is deadly, not the art. In otherwords what the persons intent is using any given art is what makes any art deadly.

As they say, it is not the gun that kills you, it is the person firing the bullet from the gun at you.

Best regards

Pat

16. D.Smothers

D.Smothers Valued Member

The question is JKD really deadly? No, it is not. Because JKD is just a term, a phrase to describe the way that Bruce Lee expressed the arts. Everyone has their own interpretation of the arts and how they think they were meant to be used and how they should be used. Those who are really aware of what Jeet kune do was and is practice their own interpretations of JKD. Everyone Jkd should be different because everyone absorbs what is useful to them. The JKD that Bruce lee used may have been worthless to another because it may have not fit their fighting style or body type or body`s needs. But just because they couldnt use it doesnt mean it wasnt deadly, Yes Bruce lee was deadly because he took what was useful to him and used it to his best. Its not the art, its the person using it. The Concepts that Bruce lee came up with and taught are useful to all arts I believe, JKD is not an art it is only an idea or way to go about expressing your Martial Art. Thats all I have to say about that, I hope that has answered your question or hopefully enlightened you on the topic.

-Smothers

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

if a jkd practioner uses his/her skills HELL YES

18. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Hi Pat

Now I know why it is Rapid Arnis. I was going to post the same thing. The art is only as good, or bad, as the person doing it.

Sticks up!

Peter

19. Jittek

Jittek New Member

JKD is a 'style.'

Bruce Lee was a man of contradictions and loved the philosophy of the martial arts and of life. He said many things to get you to think for yourself and not just limit yourself to what others have said. That being stated, Lee had a set list of techniques and curriculum that he taught at his three schools that he continued to modify and had a private training manual that listed the techniques and referred to JKD as a style. He refers to this style in the Tao as well.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  20. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Welcome to MAP Jittek!
    Did you realize the thread you posted to is from six years ago? Usually we don't post on a thread this old as people have moved on and forgotten about it. You can find the date that a message was posted in the upper left hand corner of the post, just above the posters name.
    Hope you enjoy MAP and stick around!