Is it me or is this terrible

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by icefield, May 21, 2020.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Grond likes this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Yep, the huge amount of Lloyd Irving style advertising, and having recieved more spam from them, then the entire island nation of Hawaii could eat, means they're as trustworthy as Donald trump is.

I wonder how much of it is Bernardo, and how much is someone else?

pgsmith likes this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Some of their stuff is ok, some of it is very very good to be honest, Giles stuff for example, but all of the marketing is terrible and some of the instructionals , for example the filthy kimura catch stuff, and this self defense stuff just is really bad or looks terrible.

I applaud him for giving the free downloads at the start, but I suspect it was as much a clever marketing tool as it was being nice to the community

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Dead_pool

I always assumed the dvd contents /planning guy was really good at their job, or left upto the "talent", but the marketing guy was an absolute scumbag, I know it works... But I really wish it didn't!

Giles stuff is amazing, I usually get the DVDs second hand instead of downloading them direct, but that's because I'm cheap, I wish I could just send Giles the money and download it direct from him!

I'm sure the free content was just a way to get people used to using the system, and getting email addresses for the hundreds of spam emails...

Although to be fair, I registered with the BJJ, judo and wrestling sites, with three different emails, so I get six times the normal spam!

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When you make a move, your opponent will respond with a move. It's unrealistic that when you make several moves and your opponent just freezes there (no matter which MA style that you may train).

axelb likes this.
  6. windwalker

windwalker Member

reminds me of Ed Parkers Kenpo style.

If one can move so much faster than the opponent, it means they can do anything.
    Including running away removing one's self from the threat

What is shown in both clips not a good assumption to work or practice from

In most cases the opponent will be bigger, faster and stronger makes more sense
    to train with this in mind....

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Love Giles approach to leglocks and the 50/50 in particular really want to get hold of his no gi choke set next.

I did the same with bjj fanatics, judo and wrestling, also their striking one I'll have to in register I think now!

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Oh my.

What did I just see?

It's so obvious none of it has been pressure tested. Someone picks you up in a bear hug from behind, all you have to do is flail your legs around and they'll gently place you down on your feet? She kicks the back of his leg, then punches him in the head even though his head would have moved if she actually had kicked the back of his leg?

It's just bizarre. How could someone who's got a high rank in a pressure-tested art sell this stuff? Is she delusional or taking people's money for a product that she knows is not fit for purpose?

Look two posts down though. It was worth suffering this garbage for the cop doing a hip-toss on a machete-wielding maniac. That was pretty incredible to see.

9. Dead_pool

It's the second, she seems to have a long history as a KM teacher, flogging this schtick!

David Harrison likes this.
  10. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Wow. That was...special...

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Well, hurray that the defender in a video is using an attacker who is much bigger! I don't see that often enough!

But, ya, her wrists and fists don't look right for actually making contact. I'd be worried that she'd break her hands. The punches don't appear to have any body-mass force behind them. It's all in quick-twitch strikes from the shoulders, which is ineffective. And often she didn't hit or kick with full motion (eg, show me that leg stomp without you losing your balance and getting pulled down by the falling attacker). I've seen worse, but -- a 3rd degree black? o_O:oops:

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It was pretty awful tbf

13. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

so much wrong in a cliche way.

Who'd have thought you could just stand up from a closed guard so easily.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

There are many things that can be interested for discussing.

When your opponent uses bear hug to pick you up from the

- front,
    - behind,

what will be the "1st thing" that you will need to do?

If the 1st step is missing, the 2nd step will not work. What's that missing 1st step?

16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

"Defend yourself with pure technique, don’t rely on strength or speed."

[​IMG]

17. Dead_pool

Effective Self Defense

Looks like the most recent spin off.....

I wonder if it's Bernardo's baby or whether he's just the figurehead for the BJJ one?

axelb likes this.
  18. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

I took a peek at that website. Now I need a shower.