Is catch wrestling dead?

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by catch wannabe, Jan 15, 2006.

1. catch wannabe

catch wannabe New Member

Is catch dead? Id love to learn lancashire catch, a british art, but it doesnt seem that people are really teaching it, and it doesnt seem that its going to survive. It might help if i wasnt living in london, is it going to die out imminently? If there was a lancashire catch organisation and syllabus, im sure loads of people would be interested...

:confused:

2. KickyFaerie

KickyFaerie New Member

Catch

No idea, but why don't you try starting a class/group?
    The outfits are to die for... ;)

(Ok, being a savateuse, I can't brag too much... :) )

3. rubberband

rubberband Valued Member

No

Catch Wannabe, The techniques of catch wrestling are not dead... the rules system and the sport on the other hand and from what I have seen are... Catch wrestling was a set of rules for a wrestling contest... if I remember correctly you won by either pin or submission... I think you had to win three times to be the winner... chokes were illegal... but then I am not a historian... and it has been sometime since I read a book about this stuff... Some folks still teach what they call catch wrestling but that is debatable since there are no more catch wrestling fights... I think it is all submission wrestling anymore.

I recall that there once was a guy on this forum who trained in catch wrestling in England... check under the western arts section...

I learned catch wrestling from Billy Wicks here in the US... so if you have any questions I will answer them as best I can.

take care, steve

4. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I think you should have a fair chanse of if not making it a popular style, at lesast make sure that the rules, and the history is preserved. Personally, I try to kick-start a system that expired some 500 years ago, and compared to that, I don't think preserving catch-wresteling should be that a daunting task :)

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

catch isn't dead, it's just hiding. the people you want to look for are mak hatmaker, matt feury, tony ceccini, and co. google is your friend.

6. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Not Matt Furey! Never Matt Furey! He's a fraud and a cheat and he never won the Shuaijiao tournament he uses as his claim to fame =P

7. britsilatinmt

britsilatinmt New Member

a lot of people think hes a bit shifty! any link to proof of those tournament results? whats the story behind it?
    :)

8. shootodog

yup...that he may be in shuaijiao, but his lineage, as far as catch as catch can wrestling is concerned, is legit.

9. georgestando

georgestando Valued Member

There is a new catchwrestling q and a forum on

http://www.mma.tv/tuf

go up to thetop left and click open
    XYIENCE.com general forums

click:
    Xyience.com catch wrestling

Also check out

Mark Hewitt;s book on Catchwrestling from Paladin Press.

Seems alot of the newer stuff is better researched and less of all the problematic egotism and other non sense that clouded it up previously

10. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

actually, Matt Furey's lineage for catch-as-catch-can has been called into question. I believe bullshido covered it, and there's a letter on the site from Karl Gotch disputing Furey's lineage claims.

11. shootodog

mmmm...maybe...but i remember this going way back to when furey had a tiff with another great caccw fighter...some say his move to suaijiao was a result of the politics that happened. who's to say now?

12. big_ash

big_ash New Member

If you would like more info on English Catch Wrestling you should try getting in touch with Martin Clarke:

http://www.combatsombo.co.uk/

Ash

13. JiuJitsuJim

JiuJitsuJim New Member

Im not fond of Furey or Cecchini- checchini has yet to compete and showcase his skills.

Simply put, Abu Dhabi tournaments did a great job of bringing together the various grappling styles and using what works- there is no more pure BJJ or pure catch or whatever else- new techniques are always being incorporated.

That being said, you simply need to fight with a catch wrestling mentality when you train- your style will be yours, seperate from your gym regardless of what style it teaches (there are lots of guys who train at BJJ gyms that do nothing but hunt for footlocks). Of course, it certainly helps to do research on whoever it is you decide to train under- someone with good leglocks and a wrestling background seems to be what you're looking for.

14. reel deel

reel deel New Member

Hi
    Mark Hatmaker is a genuine guy he's in the BCA british combat asscociation, though I've never heard about him having trained in Catch, I have a freind a fellow door supervisor who's trained in it, he learned it in Blackpool or Morcombe, he works as a doorman fr the same company as me.
    We, that is my Krav Maga club and my Jeet Kune Do club keep on asking him to come and teach a seminar, but he's not a teacher and says he wouldn't know how to start, it's a pity really, he's applied a couple of these moves on me as a demo after we finished work and bloody hell they were only on at half power and they didn't half sting a bit.
    I know some of the history the original concept was completely different to what is the american version as choke outs were allowed and arm locks were taken to the limit often limbs were broken that basically where the name came from you catch something you hold it and lock it. unfortunately I haven't seen my mate for a while as he's been working another club but if I see him I will probe him for information.

15. ocianain

ocianain Valued Member

Catch is alive and well, if you've ever done American Folkstyle or Freestyle, you've done catch. Catch gets it's name from the way you engage, you catch the other guy anyway you can (hence, Catch As Catch Can). This is in contrast to other Folkstyles which start from a tie up (collar and elbow and backhold).

IMHO American Folkstyle is closer to the original than freestyle (can't imagine par tarre in CACC) but freestyle has great throws. Add freestyle throws to American Folkstyle and you got something good! For the dirty stuff buy the FILA Rule Book, do all the stuff they tell you not to.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  16. reel deel

reel deel New Member

Scratch what I said earlier, theres a fella called Dave Turton he has a sight at
    sfuk.tripod.com, with a complete history and everything you need to know, I don't know what it was my mate showed me but fro the descriptions on the web site its not Catch Wrestling. hope this has been of some help