is boxing a street worthy style

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Lance Uppercut, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Tom Yum Guy

Tom Yum Guy New Member

Boxing

I'd add that a large part of boxing training involves sparring, which means learning how to land effectively and getting used to getting hit.

Traditional MAs have there merit, but there's nothing quite like facing someone trying to spontaneously hit you and slow you down.

2. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

That's what I plan to do with boxing, I do it at the moment to get a good foundation using my basic weapons and then move on to more complex fighting e.g. muay thai.

3. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Boxing hasn't failed me yet, and trouble seems to find me quite a lot. There are some things that boxing doesn't offer, id est grappling, throwing, kicking, etc., but the most effective hand strikes I've learned, and I've sampled many styles, were in boxing. Even Bruce Lee incorporated it into his style.

4. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I think Alex 000 pretty much summed it up in the first reply

nuff said

for those who havent read it, read it

5. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

thanks ;)

6. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Yeah, I guess I should have payed attention to all the posts before I posted... oh well. My answer was like a lazier, poor version of his :p

7. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

nuff? Oh please one more this was such a fun thread

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

This exact thread comes up on a regular basis here.
    What people mean when they say 'boxing isn't a thtweet worthy style' is 'I can't be bothered to train hard, so I'd like to criticise those who do'.

9. Timmy Boy

Or it could be the old "I saw one person who does boxing get beaten up, therefore it's rubbish". :rolleyes:

One thing I think I should mention is that boxing has influenced the hand techniques of other famous styles like muay thai, kickboxing, and even my old kung fu club. The quality of boxing speaks for itself IMO.

10. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

I'd choose Muay Thai over boxing though if I had the choice nearby. Im not saying boxing isn't a good street art, one of my friends boyfriends is boxer, a damn good one, and i've seen him win fight after fight in a club or on the street. But if I had a choice of who i'd rather fight out of a boxer who has trained for 2 years and a Muay Thai practitioner who has also trained for 2 years i'd lay out a red carpet for the boxer and paint a big target on my forehead. I've been to some MT comps and two of my friends do it also, I don't think boxing compares to it in terms of downright ability to deal someone some serious damage.

But if there's only boxing in your area do it, you'll learn how to fight and get very fit. It's a good art. :)

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

euthanize this thread please!

12. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I don't go on here much, and I'm not FULLY done with this thread, but there's something I noticed.

Boxing + Judo = Japanese Jujitsu.

(+knees + elbows + headbutts + kicks ....)

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Rubbish!

When did Japanese JJ punch with the mobility & finese of a boxer?

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

True. Nothing really resembling a jab or a decent lead hook, or the mobility given by a boxers footwork.

15. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

This probably is the exception not the rule. The sensei of my sensei before he died was always improving on Ju-jitsu, putting in effective easy-to-do moves from other styles.

One day he was sparring with a boxer and he was using karate style strikes. The boxer gave a jab and broke his nose. Our sensei then broke the boxers arm with the next jab he threw, however, he realized how effective boxing is.

Now we are incorporating boxing style punches. Since there is just so much areas to cover in jujitsu, we might go awhile without reviewing punches or working on just punches, so we don't have the finnesse and mobility of a boxer.

Again, we might be the exception and not the rule... I don't know how other dojos run their programs.

16. Timmy Boy

A jab broke the boxer's arm? :rolleyes:

17. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

lol, wasn't the boxers fault. :) There's a lock/break we do where you grab the outside of the wrist when somebody throws a punch (only if they extend it all the way or almost all the way out), then smash the elbow with other arm (with your hand or your forearm). It will snap the arm. It might have been a slower strike then a jab, like a cross.

18. Timmy Boy

Did you actually see this happen? Your jujutsu instructor sparring with a boxer and breaking his arm after grabbing a jab?

19. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

No, but it is possible. I have seen the move demonstrated, and felt it on me before the breaking point. Once the arm is extended it is easy to snap. I'll have a video for you soon if you still want to see after Saturday. The point is we use boxing in our style of jujitsu.

20. Timmy Boy

I don't contest whether it's humanly possible...