Is Boxing a Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Dirk Dagger, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

On this forum, I deal with people who have different opinions to mine all the time. We all do. You're not the first person to disagree with my opinion on something. 9 times out of 10, people disagree on things without having to resort to flaming; look at the discussions between myself and ap_oweyn, who I have great respect for. However, your opinion attacks the style of boxing - and calls boxers bad fighters - without any factual basis, while you claim that you are a ninja and you look about 13 years old.

This is not simply a case of "the truth hurts". I have changed my opinions on things since I have got here, and I do all the time. My political views shifted away from the far left because of people convincing me otherwise, and likewise my opinions on martial arts have moved. What I object to is people like you boasting about their ability and deriding the abilities of others without any logical basis for doing so.

2. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

maybe because you look 15 in your site :D

http://www.50fiftyone.com/kidkrazy.html

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

.... There's a name for that.

Clue:
    Starts with "T" and ends with "ROLLING" :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

What can i say!!!

Get any traitional martial artist on the mat with a boxer and prepare for max damage to be inflickted on the martial artist. why do you think that bruce lee used boxing. it is a martial art and a very good one at that, just look at the filipino influence on the sport and that should clear all arguments.

5. YODA

Hmmm..... ANY traditional martial artist?

With "a" boxer?

I think that's stretching it a bit.

6. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Yeah, that's implying that I could have beaten Masutatsu Oyama :D

7. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Great, now we've gone from a stereoypical viw on boxing to a stereotypical view on martial artists. Loads of boxers have been beat up by martial artists cos they dont train for kicks or groundfighting or fighting bare knueckled, loads of martial artists have been beaten by boxers because the boxers spar regulalrly and full contact and often get pretty good conditioning.

To reply to the original point of the thread boxing is not a martial art if you take it to go to competitions and treat it as a sport, it is a martail sport, there is nothing wrogng with this and in a real fight many martial sports athletes could beat up a martial artist.

If you box becasue you want to learn an effective way to defend yourself and get fit then it is a martial art and you are a martial artist.

If you do it for both reasons: Congratulations, you'r getting the full benefit of boxing, you are a martial artist and an athlete.

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Boxing is an excellent sport / style / art to cross train in. Krazy5051 talks of defeating a boxer by kicking him or grappling him. Now try it against an effeciant grappler who cross trains in boxing and your in for some trouble; simply because its one of the more effective striking arts around which can be easily picked up and is very easy to include into your fight game.

9. YODA

On that possitive note I think we'll put this one to bed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.