Interesting Clip: TCC vs Shuai jiao

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by tccstudent, Feb 23, 2006.

1. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

Easy, you just sacrifice principle. No..wait..hang on...taiji without principles.....not taiji then. Doh!

2. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Easy you just develop specific skill. No..wait....hang on....taiji without skill...must be Yang. Doh.

3. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

When you see a TCC guy doing something, and think, that's not TCC. They are not sacrificing the principle, they must have not developed the skill to apply the principle.

4. daftyman

so they have to rely on something else and abandon taiji.

lol about the yang comment tho' :)

5. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

But only at the points where skill fails them.

6. daftyman

If the skill keeps failing them, why keep training at that skill? Why not just train in Shuai jiao, where the results are somewhat quicker to achieve and don't rely on 'faith' in the system.

But if the 'arena' was different, in that points were awarded for how well you stuck to principle, you would have to keep using taiji, even if you lost. But you would have been training your taiji ability and not your non-taiji ability.

Kinda asks for a different kind of tournament

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

taiji is what taiji wants. If you even knew the meaning of the word.

nice sig lio, how clever!

8. daftyman

huh? I am familiar and conversant with what taiji means, but what do you mean by the first statement?

"taiji is what taiji wants."

is it taiji (daoist principle relating to the harmonious/dynamic balance of yin and yang) is what taijiquan wants? What are you trying to say?

9. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

LOL I got a PM from some Mod (not Sandus) telling me to change my sig from the one that ridiculed Richard Dunn.

I changed it straight away, being the compliant, law abiding sole that I am and had no time to find a witty quote :D

10. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I think you misunderstand me.

I am not saying the skill has failed. I am saying that he has not developed his skill enough and he has failled. Hence, he needs more practice, not the abandonment of a skill.

At some point, if your tested, your skill will fail. This is not a bad thing for any number of reasons.

11. daftyman

I am in agreement with you, well close enough anyway.

Test skill, definitely. But test it in a way that relies on building skill and not winning or losing. That will sort itself out as the skill improves.

12. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

What better way to test and (at least point the way to where building of skill needs to be done) than to enter an event with totally arbitrary, yet relatively free rules, against someone who knows nothing about what you do or where you come from, and whom wants to beat you?

I don't see the problem really. You have nothing to lose, unless your emotionally fragile and cant except defeat, and a huge amount to gain. Hell, you might even have some fun.

13. daftyman

I guess it just depends on your ability to handle defeat. If you enter to simply find out how good you are, then great, but if you enter and all you want is to win, then not so great.

14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

yes quite.. I think they are on a recruitment drive. All manner of fascists around lately..(pr3sent company excluded) - it seems I should be clearer - on all fronts.

i think it is fab, all manner of jedi are rare indeed so I hear.
    Anytime is a good time for a change. In the midst of changes things sometimes just happen to get broken. They can even sometimes may never be put back together. But.. now I'm just rambling nonsense.

Regards

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

"is it taiji (daoist principle relating to the harmonious/dynamic balance of yin and yang)"

if that is what your mind wants it to be..

daoist principle are often not very clear in there meaning.

"grand ultimate" is not yin/yang. It is before this even. It is its Mother.

It is mind. (above & below)

However you are most welcome to disagree with this take on it. I have not made it up though.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  16. daftyman

are you not referring to wuji?

17. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I entered a push hands contest last year and got beat by far more skilled and experienced people. I had only been practising a year. One dude in particular raped me and I had a ball. I don't give a toss about losing, especially not at this stage.

It was great feeling what someone really good at this tai chi stuff is like. The guy was bigger, heavier and stronger than me, but I felt no more overpowered than with somone much lighter than me. Everytime I tried to move forward or to the side I somehow took a step back. Would love to push with him again to see how I am getting on.

18. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

You have Wuiji, then Taiji, then Yin and Yang as soon as you move.

Perhaps he is talking of Taiji, a state of readiness.

If I am remembering correctly...

19. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

Like I said before, how do we even know for sure that the guy in red practices TCC? I was just taking for granted what the clip says he does, but who knows? Here's a question.... What if he IS a TCC guy, but is just low-level (first couple of years or so), how are we to analyze this? For that matter, any clip between two martial artists where exact skill sets are unknown.

On another note, I keep thinking to myself what if Yang Cheng Fu or Yang Sau Chung were involved with a contest of this kind (tug, pull, sweep), what would they look like? IMO, I think they would most likely look much different. What I would picture happening would be ..... guy grabs Yang and guy gets immediately thrown to the ground. Hard!! What do you guys think??

20. MartialArtN00b

MartialArtN00b New Member

At least its a start to somewhere.

Besides, tai chi theories and the 'gentle way' are not mutually exclusive, far from it i believe.

That the 'gentle way' doesnt seem too gentle (though way more gentle than striking anyways) is something i think judokas have learned to live and deal with. So should tcc players who think this is just wrestling, and a bad show of tcc.