Instinctive Response Training Tactical Folding Knife Deployment Video Clip!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Brian R. VanCis, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Hey guy's and gal's here is a clip that I just put up the other day showing how to deploy a folding knife while in the knee on stomach position when an opponent goes for a boot knife. Enjoy. :cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIyHiemMpo8"]Tactical Folding Knife Deployment! - YouTube[/ame]

2. Mi Don't Mi Do

Mi Don't Mi Do Valued Member

Your weight distribution is wrong in side mount and your transistion to knee ride would allow ample time for most athletic attackers to escape the bottom posistion.

I'm not aware of whether this is becuase it was merely a demo. If so, are their examples of you showing knife defenses against a non compliant opponent?

3. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Of course they were against a non compliant opponent.
    If was an actual street fight,even an "athletic attacker" wouldn't have time to get out of this in full speed adrenaline rush.

Case in point, working the door in the UK,I had the exact same thing against a rugby player(ATHLETE!) and I didn't have a knife.
    I took him down exactly as shown in this clip, went straight into the side mount and knee to the chest and the guy reach for a knife in his shoe....
    the sudden loss of several teeth later, he changed his mind.

And the best part...
    He was 22 years old and I am 42 year old fat man :D

4. Brian R. VanCis

Well there is always a chance during any technique that you can be countered. (As there is always a counter) Still this is solid and is pretty standard knee on stomach technique with folding knife deployment added in if they reach for a boot knife. Simple, easy, effective. :cool:

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting demo.
    That'd be a good one to see it taken a bit further with a bit more resistance shown and using dummy blades/marking blades or markers. The part I imagine might hang most people up is passing to side mount so that the person knife side is actually away from the opponent.

I'm curious about the left hand behind the when bringing the knee to stomach. When we were shown the move we've always got that hand gripping a gi or lapel or collar to hold the upper part of the torso down to prevent the person from sitting up in addition to the bodyweight/pressure from the knee.

Interesting food for thought thanks for posting...

6. Damien Alexander

Agreed,but most of the time,you wouldn't know where the knife was until after the fact. So,best to move fast and hard to "get your point across "
    before the other guy does.

Agreement again.

As in my case, there was no gi or lapel to grab,so I had to use the back of his head...to get my point across ;)
    Which why I look for people who don't rely on clothing,but use it as an option.
    Shirts tear,etc... so that leaves you to grab flesh in some form.
    Hell...snatch hold of his lips if you got too!
    :D

7. Brian R. VanCis

Yes if I have a lapel, coat, sweatshirt to grab I will definately be doing that. With a t-shirt though forget it I will be controlling the back of the head. (this is great because no matter what they have on you can do it)

One of these day's I will have to get some footage up with some rolling where you can deploy a knife at anytime. One of these day I will get to it! :cool:

We do other drills where you are rolling and a weapon is dropped and then it is all about how to get to it and be the first one to control it. Good stuff!

8. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

Nice vid. I definitely agree about getting from top to side mount! But that's why we train isn't it! :)

It also helps highlight the need to have access to your knife and to be able to deploy it single handedly. I know *lots* of people who carry folding knives and very very few can get to them without rooting through their pockets and fewer can open the knife with one hand and maintain control (and not cut themselves! LOL).

Thanks for the vid

9. Mi Don't Mi Do

Mi Don't Mi Do Valued Member

Um I'm not doubting the theory merely the application which is why I was wondering if there was any non compliant vids (i.e. featuring "sparring" knives)

With better weight distribution by using your hips its quite hard for someone to escape the bottom posistion whilst transistioning unless they are significantly more powerful or expierenced in grappling.

In regards to the story about shooting for some drunk guy and GnPing him to stop him producing a knife from his boot... So what?

Like I said the theory is excellent. Shoot, get dominant posistion and GnP. I was offering constructive criticism about transistioning when on top. I merely asked to see some non compliant videos becuase:

A) It would be interesting and is something that RSBD schools need to do to produce effective pracitioners by pressure testing their techniques.

B) To better gauge Brian's grappling ability and credentials

10. Damien Alexander

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Gotta agree here. I've known quite a few folks who thought it was 'cool' to carry some sort of combat type folder. Several have cut themselves but good... most couldn't get them out with one hand and deployed if their life depended on it... and none of them were even remotely interested in training how to actually use a knife.

At the end of the day I suspect a large number of knife purchasers make their purchase because of ego. I sure know quite a few that have. They feel what they perceive to be an instant surge of power when they wield it. That sort of person is a danger not only to others but also to themselves.

To a certain extent knife companies know this and manufacture and market knives to that end. Many of the combat folders out there are so ridiculously large as to be illegal in most places... one flip through a knife or gun mag and you'll see no end of ads that pander to the person looking for instant power and the feeling of being 'Spec-Ops' lol....

Classic example of a situation I was involved in several years back.

With one acquaintance of mine in particular he couldn't resist bringing the newly purchased knife out after he'd had a few drinks. Not exactly threatening... but definitely trying to become the alpha male at the table... working to set up some sort of social hierarchy based on him being armed and the rest of us not... or at least not to his knowledge. High stupidity.

After getting tired of him producing it and insinuating that he was top dog it took all of about .02 seconds to introduce him to a wrist lock, take the knife away from him away and introduce his head to the door jam. Granted maybe overkill on my part as he wasn't directly threatening me with it but I figured it best to preemptively remove the knife from the situation before it ever even got to that level. He never even got it open due to the alcohol involved the reduced fine motor skills meant he was actually looking at the locking/opening mechanism on the knife instead of at me when I decided enough was enough. LOL!

Ever since that day that particular acquaintance has gone off of carrying a knife. People like don't have any business with a knife.

12. Brian R. VanCis

This is something that I was just talking with a friend the other day. Definately you see quite a bit of this out there. I remember being at a party for a bunch of martial artists in one system and they all had their folders (some illegal) and they all trained in a system with no blade orientation (no training) at all. Still they had their folders? A lot of Alpha male stuff going on that night. So much so that it was scary as one guy walked around flicking open his folder and then another guy and then so on. My wife and I got tired of it and left knowing that something bad would happen and guess what it did.

As Damien pointed out earlier you need to be able to adapt in the moment. That is a crucial skill set.

Speaking of that check out yesterday's Blog at The Instinctive Edge as it is all relevant here!
    http://brianvancise.wordpress.com/2008/04/02/video-clips-on-the-internet/

13. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

There's a thread somewhere around here about carrying knives and the potential dangers of it. If you're the first to draw you just escalated the danger of your situation exponentially. Thus, you'd better know how to use it, and how to handle it and the consequences.

I have a folder (legal size) that I can get to very quickly and can open safely with one hand. And I use it almost daily as a box-cutter at work, or nightly as a tape-cutter playing in bands. I've flashed it once to diffuse a situation on the street (story upon request, really not being teh m4ch0 at all). I normally wouldn't dream of reaching for it. I did a security gig last weekend and had my knife on me. But my hands were in my pockets...one gripping my maglight, the other my pepper-spray! :)