Inside the door

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by dredleviathan, Jan 23, 2004.

1. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Just a quick question as I was just looking at the Dan Docherty book that was recommended to me on this Forum... does "inside the door" refer to techniques/applications that only become available to students once they have completed a certain amount of training i.e. the inner or hidden concepts of the art?

Thanks,

Dred

2. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Hey Dred,

Yes it can mean that by way of revelation through correct and sustained practice over a long period of time. it can be a point where through activation of body mechanics, intuition coupled to analysis and your cultivation of Qi that things are revealed that open new concepts and understanding to the practitioner that were not previously present or accessable. This is a large reason for the fact that Taijiquan does not appeal to most Martial Artists, because it takes a certain kind of discipline to bear fruit as opposed to the pure benefit of physical output and return/gain. This is more akin to internal discipline whereby the physical secrets of the art are revealed by way of an internal revelation. Without many years of dedication and constant training these things are not easily revealed. Nothing comes easily with Taijiquan and in that sense it is a very real Gong.

The other concept of inside the door refers to being an indoor student or one who trains with a teacher who has
    given them the full transmission of the art, one that is largely unspoken and internal as well as purely physical. Sometimes the oral transmission of an art can present itself as simple lines, like Haiku or poems, within which are contained the most fundamental secrets of the art which unlock all doors. I recall a student of a teacher of Taijiquan, who gained it's full transmission, stating that the final lines of a manual he was given, simply read... "and remember, sung, sung, sung!"

Best, Syd

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  3. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Thanks a lot Syd! That makes sense.

4. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Personally, I think Dan Docherty usually uses the term in the second way - as in a teacher choosing specific students for extra training to reveal "secret" or highly advanced methods.

I don't know if I believe in that in a democratic, personal way, but after looking at IMA for a while I'm beginning to have more sympathy for that pov. Many people drift in and out of ima, and don't take their training seriously enough for the teacher's/their own needs. I can relate to a teacher to wants to withhold the best of the art for those people who are "worthy".

Problem is, a too open attitude and you have people trying highly advanced moves from almost day one, then discrediting the art when they can't replicate what they saw the master doing (dim mak anyone?), or taking it to the other extreme, building such a cult of secrecy around a specific teacher/master that people start to believe they have some kind of supernatural gift.

5. wutan

wutan Valued Member

Dred,
    'Inside the door' student (Men Ren) is someone who has shown a degree of loyalty and good character and also a dedication to the art in general.
    They will usually undergo a 'Bai Shi' ceremony where they agree to follow the commandments of Tai Chi Chuan and agree not to plaguerise the art and to respect the art.

Many of these techniques were taught at an early stage of development in days gone by but many teachers decided that some students were misusing the art and it was then decided that the true character of the student should be determined before passing on the advanced practices.
    There was also a time in China where if a criminal was found to be a student of Kung Fu and the offence carried a death sentence then their master would also be put to death!
    An incentive for the masters not too teach the advanced techniques too soon!
    Rgds,

Mark.
    The student will then go on to learn 'inside the door' techniques including the 24 Nei Kung internal Strength exercises-This doesn't all happen at the one time and can take place over a period of years.I add that there is nothing mysterious or Cult like about this practice but it should not be taken lightly.
    Dan explains a little bit more about this in his book.