Inosanto angles

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ballistic, Dec 13, 2004.

1. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I like that, sounds effective to me. In our Kali / JKD class I have only been made aware of 12 angles, to me that covers pretty well the human body and with slight variations I would of thought it enough, but i am no expert and still relatively new to Kali.

2. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

100+

Hi All,

In the seminar video when Rick is showing the various strikes he is only using one stick, so I expect that 124 was referring to the single stick system.

Bill

3. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

It does for me, 100+ is hardly minimising!

The most simple and easy concept to grasp!

4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Interesting point. In fact, from my time in Inasanto Blend, I remember about 12 major and the 24 with minor. However, as memory serves, it was explained to me that some of the minor were there more for cultural preservation than anything else. The were stikes geared towards weak points in armor. If that was the case (and I don't have enough evidence to say one way or the other) it definitely departs from the JDK mentality.

Although it is fair to say that Inasanto does take steps to separate the Kali from the JKD.

- Matt

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It seems to me that are are very limited ANGLES at which strikes can come - and the basic 12 angles cover these well.

My guess is that thye rest are STRIKES not ANGLES.

For example I can strike a diagonal downward forehand (#1 in most systems) at...

High - middle or low level.

Using a slashing motion.

Using a hitting/ chopping motion.

Using a retraction / jabbing motion.

Thrusting with the tip through the target.

Thrusting with the tip and jabbing/ retracting.

Thrusting with the butt through the target.

Thrusting with the butt and jabbing/ retracting.

The previous 4 options in a straight line or hook-thrusting.

All the above holding the stick in a conventional grip (butt at little finger)

All of the above holding the stick in a reverse grip (butt at the thumb)

3 level options
    11 strikes
    2 grips

That gives us 3 x 11 x 2 = 66 different ways of STRIKING with a diagonal downward forehand. (and given another 5 minutes to think about it I'm sure I could list more.)

But they are all ANGLE 1 :D

6. Matt_Bernius

Great point Yoda (as always). At best there are probably five real "angles"
    1. Vertical
    2. Diagonal (right to left)
    3. Diagonal (left to right)
    4. Horizontal
    5. Forward

After that it's just are you stiking/poking downwards or upwards or, in the case of horizontal, left to right or right to left.

Also the minor ones that I was referring to earlier were specific "pokes" to certain locations

- Matt

7. YODA

3 of those can be done up or down :D

So that's 8

Take your 8 and multiply by my 66 = 528!

w00t w00t we are teh m4st3rz!

Keep an eye open for Matt & Yoda's 12 part DVD series coming soon :D

8. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Good point about the dif. between angles & strikes, Yoda. My instructor has a Pekiti Tersia video where the instructor on the video shows 144 strikes. A little esoteric for my tastes, but cool if you're into that sort of thing.

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Then you can do it all in reverse = 1056 then all of that double handed e.g. reinforced strikes = 2112 strikes, hey we could spen our whole lives just trying to learn the basic strikes, then of course we have to learn the defence, This FMA stuff is becomming far to complicated for me I'm taking up origami:D

Put me down for a copy of each;)

10. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Mathematics

>Originally Posted by YODA
    3 of those can be done up or down

So that's 8

Take your 8 and multiply by my 66 = 528!

Then you can do it all in reverse = 1056 then all of that double handed e.g. reinforced strikes = 2112 strikes, hey we could spen our whole lives just trying to learn the basic strikes, then of course we have to learn the defence, This FMA stuff is becomming far to complicated for me I'm taking up origami<

*Puts knotted hanky on head*

My bwain hurts!

Bill

11. Matt_Bernius

Do you want to put it on layaway?

- Matt

12. Pat OMalley

In that case I will have 2 copies of each, one for me and the other for me other personality.:D

13. Matt_Bernius

Great, those will help pay for my medical bills as Yoda mentioned I have the "starring" role of having all the angles demonstrated on me.

- Matt

14. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

if you follow the "keep it simple rule" then all these so called angles are just variations or ideas. Your training methodology becomes one of memorization rather than simple understanding of a few basic things that translate to many things.

15. ballistic

ballistic Valued Member

yes i certainly understand that 100 angles are not ''jkd'' and that they are esoteric and that they are not all angles but strikes and sets of strikes, but im just curious! i collect stamps as well!lol

16. YODA

I figured you more a Baseball card type Matt :D

17. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That's the aikido approach: three canonical angles. Everything else is just a particular form of one of the canonical angles. Whether that's the best approach, and whether there should be 3 or 9 or 12 base angles, is for someone else to decide.

18. Pat OMalley

No offence but I beg to differ, I feel it is for the individual to decide. after all it will be them on the receiving end during a real encounter not someone else.

Regards

Pat

19. Pat OMalley

Nothing wrong with that, and if it rocks your boat then go for it.
    But remember not to get tied up in it or you may spend too much time learing countless angles and strikes and miss the whole point about FMA.
    I like to describe it as Simply Effective:D

Regards

Pat

20. ballistic

ballistic Valued Member

wow yoda!how did you know?! mr Omalley your point is very well taken! beautiful pun by the way! i guess that's the idea of training, to miss someone elses point!!
    cheers
    matt