INDIE/ROCK FANS: Your favourite 5 Indie/Rock Groups are...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by BenTKD, Mar 31, 2007.

1. BenTKD

BenTKD Valued Member

I was just wondering for those people who like Indie/Rock Groups what there Favourite Top 5 Indie/Rock Bands they like........ also discussions/comments/opinons/suggestions of Indie/Rock Bands is welcome here ;)

My favourite 5 Indie/Rock Groups are... :p

1) The Killers
    2) The Strokes
    3) Mando Diao
    4) Razorlight
    5) Oasis

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  2. papercutskin

papercutskin New Member

1 The Killers
    2 Snow Patrol
    3 Fall Out Boy (though they're not so indie these days)
    4 Regina Spektor (more indie, less rock, vocals)
    5 Sugarcult

Not an exhaustive list, probably not even my top five, but the five that come to mind right now.

I like The Strokes, Oasis and what I've heard of Razorlight as well. :)

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'm not sure what counts as indie rock - can you give us a definition?

4. BenTKD

BenTKD Valued Member

To me it is music thats influenced by The Beatles with a mix of country style music and Rock music, usually played with Acoustic/Electric/Bass Electro-Acoustic guitars and live drums and Vocals :rolleyes: Obviously :rolleyes: If you listen to bands such as the The Killers & The Strokes you will catch my drift. Below is a defination from good old Wikipedia ;)

""Indie rock" is shorthand for "independent rock", for many of its artists are unsigned or signed to independent record labels, rather than major record labels. It is not strictly a genre of music (although the term is often used to reference the sound of specific bands and the bands they have influenced), but is often used as an umbrella term covering a wide range of artists and styles, connected by some degree of allegiance to the values of underground culture, and (usually) describable as rock music." (1)

"Also among the most popular strains of indie rock at present is the post-punk revival movement. Popularized by bands such as Liars, Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, The Futureheads, and Interpol it is influenced primarily by the New Wave and post-punk movements of the 1980s. The core of this movement has mostly been the resurgence of spiky 70's punk and '80s post-punk rhythms and riffs akin to those played by Gang of Four, Television and Wire. Often this style has been blended with other genres such as garage rock." (1)

OH YEAH how could I of forgot SNOW PATROL 'Chasing Cars' Awesome song :cool:

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_rock

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  5. ReeceLightning

ReeceLightning Valued Member

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Interpol
    Kings of Leon

Nine Inch Nails Indie..ustrial rock

7. Mandras

Mandras Eats Ninjas For Breakfast

Not in any particular order...
    1 Interpol
    2 Snow Patrol
    3 Arcade Fire
    4 Modest Mouse
    5 Pedro the Lion (with Maximo Park a close sixth)

As for definition, I just looked under the 'indie' genre on my mp3 player ;)

8. BloodSugar

BloodSugar New Member

erm not rele into it but:

-The Fray.:S
    -The Killers.
    -Razorlight.

9. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Does Modest Mouse count? I've been listening to them for years.

10. Mandras

They made my list... so I sure hope they count ;)

11. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

So they did. I didn't see it. Have you heard their latest album yet? I just got it a few days ago. Johnny Marr really seems to have brought a new dynamic to the group. I'm really grooving on Dashboard.

12. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I HATE HATE HATE the killers, andthe strokes and everyone that sound likethem. Gross. BLAHHAAHAH It makes me sad and angry thinking that people like them.

13. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

I used to be a big indie fan back in the 90's but ive been very dissapointed with the quality of bands in recent years. Everything sounds too samey and none of the current crop of bands do anything for me.

Old School indie top 5

Jesus And Mary Chain
    Spacemen 3
    Stone Roses(first album only)
    Mogwai
    The Wedding Present

14. Mandras

Yeah, I've heard dashboard (great song), haven't heard the whole album yet though... will have to get round to it :)

15. martialmartian

martialmartian Valued Member

mine change all the time...

currently queens of the stone age,

mogwai..

gang of four...

Loads of good music out there.. Lots of bad too.. Not sure about the term indie anymore..

I think it's incorrectly applied to many bands. . . Seems to define guitar driven stuff more than it actually means an independent label

16. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The only band I'd classify as "indie" that I listen to is Arcade Fire - their new album's pretty good but I don't think it's as good as "Funeral"
    Some people (not me, personally) classify Shiny Toy Guns as indie and I really like them, so maybe we can count them too

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

err... what is the criteria for 'indie'?

Self published?
    Not on a major label?
    Do indie bands on 'indie labels' count?

I grew up listening to tons of stuff on small labels that lasted for a band or two.
    One of the better indie labels out there was SST Records. Started and run by the founder of Black Flag. Greg Ginn. (Who grew up very close to where I lived and is coincidentally more interested in smoking dope and playing basketball than music... he always was... :eek: )

Anyone who grew up in the West Coast punk scene surely couldn't have missed any of the releases by bands such as Black Flag, The Minutemen, fIREHOSE, Hüsker Dü, The Descendents, and Bad Brains. Other bands those in the So. Cal indie scene will recognize are...Saint Vitus, Soundgarden, Meat Puppets, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., and Negativland.

Most of those bands I still listen to today.
    SST also bought out some other smaller record labels... New Alliance records was actually started by Mike Watt from Minutemen/Firehose fame.

If you don't 'Double Nickels on the Dime' by the Minutemen... then your most def. missing out on a great album. The Chilli Peppers famous album 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik' is dedicated to Mike Watt because of his inspiration in the early So. Cal indie scene and because he was/is a top notch base player.

Dinosaur Jr. (basically J Mascis) was and is quality and if you dig hardcore meet the band that makes the rest look like the amatuers they are... anything by Bad Brains will bring the house down.

If we want to get any more 'indie' that I've got tons and tons of cassette tapes recorded in all manner by bands from the early So. Cal punk scene that I used to buy out of Flipside magazine... an indie mag no punk fan could do without. :D

On top of that there are dozens of quality 'skate-core' bands that only ever released one or two albums and then broke up or just dissapeared. Skate-master-tate, The Angry Samoans, Jody Fosters Army and tons of others.

Many of these bands played at Fender's Ballroom in Long Beach or the Olympic Auditorium or the De Anza out in Riverside CA. Most of these places probably don't exist anymore.

I always have to **** myself laughing when I hear people talking so adoringly about crap bands like Green Day... puhleeze. :bang:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  18. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I don't think punk/hardcore/metal or any of the other genres that regularly release music on indie labels count as "indie rock" - it's usually narrowed down to "bands that sound like Oasis" (in the UK) or "bands that sound like early REM" (in the US).

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Now if that isn't the absolute dumbest definition I've ever heard..... :bang:

I think most people I'd ask would classify REM would pretty much be classified as 'college rock'.. as their early albums only really got much airplay on college radio.

Go figure.

Ok this was worth doing the Wiki thing with:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_rock

Nice to see that it seems rather well balanced.
    An 'indie' artist that is brilliant is Liz Phair... her albums just absolutely rock.
    She's never really gotten the credit she deserved.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  20. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

indie? hmm pretty broad there.

American Indie

1.Kings of Leon
    2.The Strokes
    3.Ben Folds
    4.The White Stripes
    5.The Shins

UK Indie

1.Cast
    2.Space
    3.Badly Drawn Boy
    4.Ash (pre fre all angels)
    5.Anyone who has been on a Shine Compilation.