Improving your punching power

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by tooksomechin_na, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

You're assuming he knows how to punch "properly".

I'm not saying otherwise. I'm not disputing that weight makes any difference at all. I made it quite clear that it is a factor right from the start. I don't know how many more times this needs to be said to you.

I'm simply making it clear that there are far more important things to consider to develop punching power than putting on weight.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

People like to confuse this whole weight thing. Size does matter, but not the way people think it does and not as much as it's made out to be.

A natural heavyweight boxer (meaning he's 201lbs+ in shape and cut) hasn't done any weight training to build muscle and weight on himself. Guys who are heavyweights who lifted to put on that muscle to compete in that weight class often have a hard time with it because they're not used to the force the natural guys can generate, nor can they hit as hard. There are only a few notable boxers who did well by putting on weight to move into the heavyweight division. Your bone structure and mechanics play a much bigger part in how hard you hit than your actual weight does, along with the endless hours of training that goes along with it.

It's not as simple as "get heavier, hit harder." It's more like, "put on perfectly lean mass which is an excruciatingly long and many year process while maintaining skill level while constantly developing new technique to accommodate the new body change."

And even then, you're probably just going to hit a little bit harder.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm going to bite on the OP.

Punching power comes from a lot of different things. Technique being the most important. That should be completely obvious. The speed of the technique and how hard your muscles can contract to produce force is what's going to give you the power you can generate in a punch.

First off, the muscles in your arm are just about the absolute last thing you need for punching power. Their role in a punch is mostly to absorb the impact generated in the legs and torso. They do need to be developed, but not for the focus of power. You need endurance at a decent strength level for those muscles and that usually comes with just hitting the bag and doing pushups.

The rest of what I'm going to say is assuming that you understand repetition to learn correct technique is a given, and these are things you can do to develop more power aside from working on technique.

To your conjectures, points 1 & 2, those are absolutely not going to help you do a damn thing. In order to increase the power of your punches you have to work on the speed of your punches, and the ability of your muscles to contract as hard as possible. You can work on speed and power on the punching bag but you have to understand what you're doing during the bag work. You need to be either doing a 3 min. round working on speed in which you punch as fast as possible (no power), or working on hitting the bag as hard(strength) as you can. Fast does not equal hard(strength), and hard(strength) does not equal fast. Mixing those two factors is what gives you your power, but when you mix them you're working on skill.

There are a million different schemes you can do on the heavy bag to work what I just went over, but it's only going to take you so far without weight training. Your understanding of weight training is horrible though, as lifting weights doesn't equal gaining muscle mass. You can easily begin lifting for strength and not gain a single lb of muscle but become stronger (but you'll probably gain a lb or two). You can lift weights both for speed (olympic lifting), strength (so you can contract your muscles harder for a punch), and stamina. You can also do a lot of body weight exercises to develop the same things, but again it's not going to take you as far as weight training can.

As far as measuring your punching power and the Mike Tyson comment . . . . that's a little too quirky to reply to.

4. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

No I'm not. :bang::bang::bang: I've said it over and over that it will help him regardless of his skill level. I don't know how I can make that any clearer.

You are making arguments against points I've never made. I never said their weren't other important factors or that it is a requisite or even necessary. Those are assumptions you've made about my idea right from the initial post. All I've said is that this one way of adding power to your punches.

And you are still avoiding my inquiry.

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

But in the long run it's not helping him if he isn't punching properly in the first place. As stated already, all the weight in the world will not improve punching power if you don't know how to punch properly. You cannot seek to gain an advantage through extra weight if you don't know how to shift weight and momentum to get the most out of it.

You made a suggestion to a user to put weight on so he could hit harder. I disagreed with the suggestion for various reasons already outlined, while noting the part weight can play. I don't see the problem here.

I don't care for your inquiry. To be quite frank it's been frustrating enough trying to communicate with you over something as simple as this. I'm hardly going to entertain someone who seeks argument and then reads selectively.

And with that, I think I'm done here because this conversation isn't going anywhere. Repeating myself isn't doing anything constructive for this topic.

Enjoy your weekend.