IMA training clips - Bagua, Tai Chi, Ziranmen

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Dan Bian, Nov 15, 2023.

1. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I recently found my old teacher has uploaded a couple of his old training films onto youtube (right after I spent the weekend digging out my old physical copies :rolleyes:)

These are quite old videos now, but they give a bit of flavour to some of the martial training from Bagua, Tai Chi and Ziranmen.

:)

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Thanks for posting always liked Alex's videos they have some nice principls, how long did you train with him?

My only issue with these clips is the issue I always have, the attackers don't seem to be skilled in throwing punches or actual grappling so sometimes it's hard to see if it would work against someone actually skilled, but it's a demo and they could just be being nice.

As I say his principles are always sound

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hey icefield :)
    I only trained with him for a very short time, of a few months, but he gave me a lot of insight that I'm still unpacking years later. I'd like to go back to training with him, though the trip from Kent to Suffolk is more costly these days, and I'm not as financially care-free as I was back then.

I totally get that. The shorter chap, Chris, did a lot of door work/security work so was very well versed in 'real world' as it were. He used to post on here as "middleway" if I remember.
    The other chap I don't know much about; I believe he had a strong Wing Chun background, but not from the Ip Man lineage (I don't know the details, and I may be completely off-kilter with that).

I look at these clips as a teacher instructing students, and the students then going through a drill to get mechanics at an early stage, rather then taking it up several gears and really testing it.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I hear you my commute to see my Bagua and Yiquan teacher is about a 7 hour round trip, it sucks lol. But like you Im still unpacking information from the sessions months and years after afterwards Lol

Yep and to be fair Alex looks like he could make it work fairly well on anyone his structure and principles are really sound. As I said I really like the clips they are much much better than 90% of what you see of bagua out there.

Dan Bian likes this.