IKMF (Krav Maga) questions

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Estrix, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

Shortly I will be moving to Kingston in London, and one of the nearest martial arts schools training more than once a week is an IKMF school called Krav Maga Tactics http://www.kravmaga-tactics.co.uk/

I was wondering if anyone had any information on their techniques etc, all I can find when I look up techniques are links that explain the rank badges.

And as a more general question, what do people think of IKMF or Krav Maga in general?

P.S I aplogise if this thread should have gone elsewhere.

2. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Krav Maga is awesome, tons of fun. Sadly there are a lot of krav schools that aren't really krav just glorified self defense. Real krav should be brutal, TONS of contact and heavy contact. Check the place out I saw that you could pay for single class and it was pretty cheap so you could try her out see how it is. The site looks a little iffy to me but it is worth a shot. Look for lots of contact, and multiple assailant scenarios those are usually good indicators for a krav school.

3. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

Thanks for the advice, contact is something I like in my training. The more the better really, I'm a bit masochistic like that :p

The site I listed allows for an induction to get a feel for it, so hopefully that will give me a suitable indicator. Both of the head instructors are also listed on IKMF Britains website as official IKMF, which gives me some level of confidence in the school.

4. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

:turtle:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  5. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi there. I've trained in IKMF krav, both in the UK and Isrel.

In general, IKMF is one of the most reputable krav organisations. As with all martial arts, however, individual instructors vary considerably ...

You should be OK with an IKMF school, but best try a lesson to see if you like it.

Krav does have contact training, but not always for newbies. Contact levels may increase as you progress: it's pointless going all out before you've learnt a modicum of techniue and can show good control.

I'd have stuck with IKMF if my local class hadn't closed :(

6. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll take the plunge, go to a few classes and see how it goes. I've got nothing except a few bucks to loose...well and maybe some teeth :p