Iaitos

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Cudgel, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

OK I jsut realized that this sword that I thoguht was real that I saw at a pawnshop and have already sorta started buying, is an iaito. Not aht im super dissapointed, at least its not stainless steel.
    Anyways what are the handles of iaitos made of? The handle on the one im about to buy seems to be made of some sort of plastic andI was wondering whether or not thats a bad sign or if thats normal. Even if it is no biggy its only 69 USD and I was really buying it for the furniture.

I do feel some what silly because I lept before I checked it out fully.

2. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

If'it's got a plastic handle it's probably not even an Iaito, more an ornament. All proper Iaito have wooden handles and real same. The constant stream of plastic handled monstrosities is not only absurd but dangerous (I have seen many accidents involving snapped Tsuka, including one which resulted ina trip to the emergency room).

The only place I would recommend getting an Iaito for training use from is:

http://www.tozando.com/en/index.html

One of their stockists (www.ninecircles.co.uk in the UK, not sure about US) or an equally reputable company. such as nosyuiaido (www.swordstore.com).

NEVER by a random sword with the intention of training with it. At best you'll damage your elbows from the lack of balance, at worst you'll kill someone.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

My iaito handle is shark-skin, not wood.

Just thought I'd mention that that's a traditional material for a handle.

4. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Eh??? Your Iaito Tsuka, IF it is a decent Iaito will be wood, with a Same Insert. The Tsuka is NOT made of Shark skin, it's just a 1"x[length of tsuka] strip.

Plus technically it's Ray skin not shark skin.

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Ahh, my impression was that you were referring to the material directly underneath the Ito. Sorry about that!

And the site where my sword came from advertises the same as shark skin, so that's what I call it.

6. Cudgel

But would it be worth the 69 US dollars to buy it and make a new tsuka?

EDIT: IIRC sharks and rays are related and have similar skins

7. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Traditional construction of tsuka is of a light wood similar to 'ho' used in saya with either a full wrap or inserts of same which can be either shark skin or ray skin (for its natural gripping qualities), the two sides are then bonded together to form the entire tsuka once its been shaped to fit the tang. The fuchi/kashira are used to reinforce the tsuka's construction and provide an effective means of ending the ito and finishing the end where one grips.. Typically "Higo" style (Rounded) or "Jidai" (square)

Interestingly, I found a WWII Shingunto tsuka (on its own) at a flee market, the 'same' inserts were in fact of some very early attempt at reproducing same from plastic (bakerlite substance), I had the tsuka checked out by someone 'in the know' who confirmed it was in fact genuine and manufactured at the later end of the war when commodities were scarce.

Dave

8. Dave Humm

That would depend entirely on the quality of the remaining furniture and of course the blade.

Dave

9. Cudgel

the funny thing is the wrapping is very good and furniture, while not very high quality, is pretty nice, even though the tsuba has a mold line. The details are rather sharp. Its just that plastic tsuka thats bugging me and the fact that I wasnt able to get the pin out to check the tang.. I got it about halfway out of the tsuka and it wouldnt go any more.

The saya is a little worse for wear but the throat of the saya fits snuggly on that collar thingy above the tsuba. And strangly enough it has a very very good fake hamon. I thought it was real until i realized it was an alumnium iaito. And the blade itself seems rather sound and has no nicks or marks of any kind. I think im gonna bring a hammer and a steel rod to drive teh pin out. I smacked the butt of it a few times and I didnt hear any rattling and it felt sturdy.

IM just anoyed tha tit has no obvious signs saying thats not a good buy. no" made in china" or some such.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  10. Dave Humm

Indeed, however, one man's idea of "very good" is another man's "OMG" - Just look at the wall hanging crud that sells as a classic example.
    Noting should inhibit the removal of the tsuka, yes it should be a firm fit but not so that you cannot remove it with one's hands un-aided.
    ... Koiguchi (Carps mouth)
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Buy a brass peg hammer thats all you need.
    er ok lol.
    Does the blade have a 'obvious' sori (curve) ? does it have hi (groves) ? The saya can be refurbished quickly and cheeply, buying a replacement tsuka however will be a bit expensive and time consuming unless you take it to a dealer who will obtain a good quality tsuka prebound and you will need to make it 'fit' the tang.

One thing to bear in mind is that because this is an Iaito, you really dont need to take the thing apart for cleaning (because it wont rust) if you choose to get a new tsuka, you can bond it in place using epoxy resin then pin it as well both for asthetic and safety reasons.

Dave

11. Cudgel

Good ppoint about one mans "very good" beig anothers " OMG" I rememeber gettign into a long discussion witha friend about why this decent quality cutter was better looking than a peice of wallhanger crud. The wrappiong isnt super high quality but its not horible, the diamond patern is very tight and even.

I ment I couldnt remove the pin all the way.

yeh it has noticable sori but no hi. And the way I was thinking is that Im prety handy with wood working tools so I should be ael to make a replacement tsuka.
    Brass peg hammer..where might i get oe of those, aside from online? Is it jsut a small brass mallet?

The funny thing is I dont really even have an intrest in learning Iaido. I just wantto not be blowing 69 bucks on somethign that might jsut be a wallhanger, id be tter off buying a POS 20 buck one and doing my own fittings.