"I won't train with girls, it's against my religion": your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sarita, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I always tell anyone I even train or play with I have hep C it's hardly a secret, I never think any less of anyone who doesn't want to train with me. I have trained with Muslims a couple of times and never had any problems with them or them with me, never seen one refuse to train with women either, like someone else said maybe they should find another place to train with no women in it if they can't train with women.

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

[​IMG]

If this continues much more, the thread dies...

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Or maybe, just maybe, and here's a really radical thought...

Let the club owner run his own damned club. The owner was obviously not offended, the woman in question was obviously not offended, and the Muslim was given the opportunity to train.

Everyone happy.

Now can we please just lock this thread as it's come full circle?!?

4. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

If i am fool for choosing my relegion
    what will you be for choosing a relegion that allows you to desrespect other relegion

--if that disscusion isnt clean and respectfull as when it started i will not continue to discuss my opinions with people like you that dont understand anything--

5. february

february Valued Member

[Best Arnie voice]

Do it! Do it Nowwww!

[/Voice]

And lets get the rest of the plonkers brigade in who actually think TKD speaks for every Muslim out there, to start ranting again. Are you actually going to try to use this guy to prove a point? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think you should stop discussing your opinions, period.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    An OP with a blatantly obvious agenda incites 30 pages of drivel. From the pseudo-intellectual, to the downright ridiculous. Surely the time has come to let this one be.

6. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Club owner can do as he likes, so can I, so can you, so can OP and we can all take the consequences of our own choices. I am not saying it's not his choice to make.

BTW if someone said they didn't want to train with you because of your sexualityI wouldn't be bothering with them either.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  7. Squerlli

Squerlli Banned Banned

I don't get it... I mean, it's been repeated about... I dunno 10 times per page in this thread but still... it's like no one even cares?

Quit whining, find a new gym or a different sparring partner. It's like freaking rocket science ain't it!?!?!?

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

People want to be heard, especially the PC brigade. :rolleyes:

This is why I rarely post anything about my school online.. opinions are like, well, you know the rest of the phrase. And personally, don't need people online second-guessing my instructor.

9. Squerlli

Squerlli Banned Banned

Well forget them. You go to a school you know gives you results, everyone else's opinion doesn't mean jack. Same concept of this thread and people actually getting offended about the whole "can't train with women" thing. If theres a religious reason someone can't train with someone else, then thats all it is. A religious reason. Not a freaking invite to become offended and rant about equality. I don't get it, when did things like this even become an issue?

10. february

february Valued Member

LOL. When the proliferation of the Internet resulted in people forming opinions about things they know nothing about, then using said medium to rant about aforementioned opinions ad nauseum. :rolleyes:

11. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

yea i think what he said about it being against his religion doesnt make sense cause he wasnt fighting her to hurt her, they were training to learn. That being said though i dont know alot about what his religion says so i cant really say if he took it out of context or not, but to me it seems like he was saying that he couldnt study with her cause she was a woman but i might be taking it the wrong way

12. Squerlli

Squerlli Banned Banned

Ohh yeah... I forgot, the interweb iz s3ri0us bidness. Thank you wise mastah.

13. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

I don't think it's an issue per say since everyone directly involved didn't even blink off key and moved on with their training. The issue taking place here is arising due to the ideology itself, or at least, that's what I'm picking up on. That said, I doubt the guy in question meant any ill will and is just following a rule laid out before him (Maybe that's worth noting?). The instructor/coach (whatever) dealt with it in the way he saw fit. Had it gone the other way, that too would be just fine.

When things like this come up, it's easy to slide into other areas. Don't get me wrong, it stems from the original post but has less to do with the specific situation presented and more to do with broader concepts. (I don't think it's been clearly defined but I do think that's what's happening at any rate.)

14. Squerlli

Squerlli Banned Banned

Well then heres my thought about it. Who gives half a squat what the ideology or w/e nonsense the situation was about. Fact is, unless you OWN the school, the rules of the gym and belief's of others are something your going to have to deal with. I think by like page 20 there was an argument over a gay MA and then later on one who had Hep C. When the hell did gender lead into lifestyle choices and diseases!?!?!?!?

The direction of this thread went from whiny to whinier to insane to completely off topic then back to insane. What the hell? I really don't think people should be taking what a few people do (or in this case don't do, which is train with females) so seriously. It seems petty and unnecessary.

15. SonOfGrimmy

SonOfGrimmy Valued Member

Hey Squerlli, are we going to see another thread of you crying and bashing MAP at bullshido when you get banned again?

Or since they let you back here are you friends with everyone again?

16. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

Well, I think it's apparent that those who have posted do.

Sure, but that wasn't my point, and as I said the situation presented per it's specifics is a non issue since it's been dealt with. However, the larger picture that concerns itself with an ideology that may or may not stem from sexist origins, is rearing it's ugly head. This is what's being called into question on at least some level.

They were examples used to illustrate their positions. The reason it was those specific examples is because the people in question could relate to the conditions.

Yes and no. While this specific situation is insignificant it's trying to develop an opinion concerning a larger issue. Which is what I was getting at to begin with.

That said and just to be fair, I don't see how what they're doing is any different than what you're doing by complaining about the current state of the thread.

17. MacWombat

MacWombat Valued Member

I really don't think the Muslim guy in the original scenario was doing anything horribly wrong. However, I'm not going to respect somebody's religious beliefs when they are so devoid of reason and logic simply because they are religious beliefs. There is no reason that religious beliefs should get a free pass in regards to respect.

18. Bigshot

Bigshot And im all outta gum!

I fear it is you that is taking the blinkered approach TKD, Disagreeing with your religion doesnt mean disrespecting it. I respect islam, its a huge faith with millions of followers, i also happen to think it is full of crap.

I respect that you follow islam, but i also think you are a fool for following it.
    I respect that you may think me a fool for not following islam.

Instead of jumping up and yelling at anyone who disagrees with your faith and calling them disrispectful, why not take the time to put yourself in their shoes and try to see how they see your faith from the outside.

DISAGREEING ISNT DISRESPECTING.

phill

19. Ahmad89

Ahmad89 Agent of Chaos

Do martial arts teach people to be bigoted, ignorant, and racist? I find many of you here tend to be like that. I wonder if bujinkan teaches you that.

20. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

If you think that islam if full of crap
    I dont blame you, because you dont have anything in your head except air.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.