I remember Manny

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by shootodog, Jan 8, 2014.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Irrelevant, whether it is true or not.

2. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

I never really followed Jones, was he like Naz?

3. puma

puma Valued Member

Never heard it to be honest. And very doubtful. I did hear something the other day about Jones talking about the MMA thing again. What's the matter with him?

4. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

I don't know - I think I might watch some of his stuff this afternoon. People have been talking about Jones for years now, there must be something in that.

5. puma

puma Valued Member

Watch the hands behind the back KO. Against Glen Kelley I believe.

6. Donn1e

Donn1e New Member

Awesome, this rizzle is like the real Rocky, haha - he reminds me of Mason 'The Line' Dixon from the final Rocky movie. Now I can see why people loved him:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2byNa5FLoyo"]Roy Jones "Mason 'The Line' Dixon' Junior[/ame]

7. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

He was robbed... Floyd was a bronze medalist and he was robbed blind... he doesn't even like to talk about it to this day. Such a shame that judges have to be so corrupt.

8. puma

puma Valued Member

Yeah, but what Jones and Mayweather went on to achieve compared to the guys they, ahem, "lost" to in the Olympics, just shows you exactly what these judges know about boxing. Or how corrupt it all is, if you'd prefer to look at it like that.:liar:

9. puma

puma Valued Member

That video was awesome by the way. Just watched it again.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Didn't the Korean fighter who 'beat' RJJ retire because of the shame of it?

11. Saved_in_Blood

Here again... my point is exactly that... he used his athletic ability to win fights and he was extremely gifted... I'm not debating that in the least. However, if he was all of the things you said above, he wouldn't have continuously have been KO'd... even losing to Tarver who old man Popkins beat at what? 44 or so?

Roy lost his athletic ability and thus he lost his edge that he had over his competition. It's great to have the head movement and the reflexes, but once those go, you have to fall back on gloves up or some other type of defense, Roy did not have this.. all of that hands down stuff he did... he was just begging for the right guy to come along and KO him.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You can use an identical argument for every boxer that goes on too long - it's no different due to a variance in technique

Boxing is all hit and don't get hit - a fighter in decline is because he loses reflexes and attributes

13. Saved_in_Blood

completely agree there... my point is that most guys who have used defense other than just movement will likely have a longer shelf life because they have solid defensive skills to fall back on.

Oh and while he looked great against Ruiz... that was the easiest HW belt out there and IMO he could have beaten better, and should have gone for the top guy.

14. puma

puma Valued Member

The top guy then was Lennox Lewis wasn't it? Roy wasn't stupid!