I just don't get...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Smitfire, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So what don't you get?
    What do other people like that baffles you?

I just don't get...Bob Dylan.
    I get that he can write a good song from time to time but why do people listen to him?
    I heard a song of his this morning. Truly awful. Horrible singing voice and everytime he played the harmonica it was like nails down a blackboard. More like a disharmonica.
    Subterranean homesick blues is great. But apart from that...I don't get it.

So now...either defend liking Bob Dylan or post your own "I just don't get...".

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I just don't get religion. Seems absolutely absurd to me. People can feel divine spirit but can't feel chi. I get that you're scared of dying, but there is no need to lie to yourself. I also don't get the Catholic Church, which is worth millions (billions?). If it dissolved it's wealth and property owned it would do a massive favour for the rest of the world. Also, why is the Pope scared of death and rides around in bullet proof glass?

AND he has a golden staff! That giant pimp stick is hardly humble.

So yeah, that's what I don't get.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Those who believe in pre-determinism, but still look both ways when crossing the road.

You know who you are. :D :evil:

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Blimey Chadderz...straight in with the big guns there (although I agree with you).

5. Simon

People who spend the first 35 years of their lives in tip top shape and say they'll be that way forever, only to find they end up as an ever expanding middle aged man.

I don't get me, er, I mean them.:(

6. Simon

The middle aged men whose kids have left home, but chose to downsize to a small family hatchback car.
    Buy an E-Type Jaguar and live a little.

7. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

Religion, politics, global warming, and women. (not necessarily in that order)

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Football.

And even more so, the kind of vile, obsessive, vicious nastiness some fans show to other teams and their supporters! (This also applies to other sports, but I've encountered it most in football). :mad:

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Twighlight and the ilk (and I also include Anne Rice's abominations in this)

There has been a mssive influx of insipid, poorly written and abysmally plotted novels that have made it "big" recently....why the hell is such banality lapped up? Not a single one can construct a decent bit of prose to save their life yet the great unwashed (or more accurately the very highly washed with Body Shop White Musk and Coconut soap smell) act as if a successor to The Bard has been found an Lo! they write about snotty,boring and miserable people being attractive to dangerous yet strangley alluring douchenozzles

50 shades of Grey? Utter tripe! The average problem page in a newsrag is more titillating...Mills & Boon for the next generation

Utter crap the lot of them

10. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Bieber fever.

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Duckface

12. CrowZer0

Dr Who. I never got the fascination, now I'm trying, I'm on season 1 episode 8. It's just so tacky...

13. CrowZer0

[​IMG]

14. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I agree 100%. Subterranean thing is great...everything else....RUBBISH!

Seeing as a few people have mentioned bands...The Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Beastie Boys. Don't get them. Don't get their "wackiness"...No! You're not wacky, you're annoying...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBGBh70KzbQ"]Rubbish[/ame]

15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i just don't get...ultras. in any sport. we've got them here too for all sports: football, baseball, hockey, basketball, you name it. always getting drunk and engagin in violence at matches. i just think it's ridiculous. the chanting, the violence, the racism, the homophobia, the ridiculous things they do like turn their back on the game to do some stupid dance. the attitude. always, it's the other team's fans that started it, funny how that happens. sorry, it's just a game. to engage in violence over it. sure cheer for your team. but to sing stupid songs the whole match, ridiculous. to beat people up because they happen to wear the colors of the visiting team is just stupid. happens here all the time too so i'm not picking on soccer, necessarily.

i'm a huge soccer lover. i travel to europe frequently and almost always go to a soccer match in the country i'm in. i just hate ultras. we've got them in major league soccer too, but they're more tame than your european beast.

and i absolutely love bob dylan. hey, that's just me.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I like quite a few Chilli and Beastie tunes...but to each their own I suppose. :)

17. Simon

Another vote here for the Beasties.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I mean at least objectively Flea can play that bass like a demon.

19. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think I sort of get Bob Dylan, because when he's good he's brilliant. (Not just on 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' - the whole 'Bringing It All Back Home' album is superb.) But when he's bad he's REALLY bad. I heard 'Live at the Budokan' once and it was so bad it was embarrassing.

Someone once described him as a bad singer, a mediocre guitar player, and a lousy harmonica player, who wrote fantsatic songs. I wouldn't really argue with that.

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Something I just don't get is 'Friends'. I've never managed to sit through more than a couple of minutes without (a) getting bored stiff, and (b) wondering what the hell the studio audience are actually laughing at, since no one ever says anything remotely funny. (I'm assuming that they do actually have a studio audience rather than a pre-recorded laughter track, but I could well be wrong.)

I know that's it's basically a lasses programme, but I've watched other lasses programmes and found them funny. But 'Friends' just isn't: it's garbage. So why is it so popular? :confused: