I have a Question - What makes a Technique realistic?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Mufty, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Developing

Developing Valued Member

When you can do something without thinking about it just doing it naturally and efficiently I think you've got yourself a winner. Remember simple movements tend to work the best.

Just keep in mind what is you are trying to accomplish. You want to defend yourself and you can do this by causing the other individual pain. It's not so much how hard you hit them but where you hit them. Practice applying techniques that would cause damage to vital areas. And than attempt these techniques during a sparring session. Now use discretion notice I said techniques that would cause damage to vital areas you don't want to break up the people you train with but you do want to keep it realistic as you can for the both of you.

An example would be if your in a sparring session the intelligent or realistic fighter might throw a couple of body shots maybe to the ribs and than depending on your opponents body reaction go into something else. If he blocks it and counters now you defend. If you make contact and the impact forces him towards you than you may want to attempt a choke or continue going to the body or come upstairs if he's left himself exposed. Notice I didn't pick anyone scenario because there is no way of knowing. You just want to be able to react with simple, effective movements that don't require you to pause and say I do this and than I do that and then I. . . You won't have this luxury if your attacked for real. You will learn what works and doesn't from your sparring and other drills. I hope this has helped.

2. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Well that sounds like bussiness as normal :) A normal training session He He!

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Why in a cage? Surely can yopu picture it wrking on the street would be a better approach, for example I can't see picking up a chair and hitting someone with it as working to well in a cage (Due to the lack of chairs).

4. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Yep this a good point, however somtimes students may not be ready for this, as they are still learning the form.

I somtimes try this when teaching a kata, and I can see eyes glazing over, as soon as I say right lets practice the Kata then the eyes light up, and that's their fun time.

However with more advanced students , by this I mean at least shodan. It's the complete opposite, when teaching a new kata they seem kata'd-out, but like you say if we take a kata we all know very very, and just go for it, then that's fun time for them.

So again its about the right thing at the right time. LOL :)

5. Mufty

Mufty New Member

yep so true.

However this is where the problem lies, when a student dose not train long enough to actually get to this point. They never do get that body movement.

How many times I have been teaching beginners, and I can see that their movement will appear after a few more sessions. They suddenly stop. Then reappear a few months later, all that time wasted, they then repeat this process and never get the body movements, its so frustrating. Then ask when will they progress, I tell them when you start training on regular basis. Most leave.

Those who train dilligently get it, and go onto moving natutrally again but in a trained way.

6. Mufty

Mufty New Member

This is a good way to look at it. However how long do you live with a technique before you apply this 5 rule system?

a day? a week? a month? a year? 10 years?

What Im getting at is that today this new technique is difficult to apply effectivly.

But how many years have you been applying those techniques you can already apply realy well?

You see a technique that wont work for you today, will work after many many hours of practice.

What's your view on this ??

7. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Cool

I think were all on the same planet :)

So its about working through a technique over a number of months, consistantly trying it and applying it as and when the time arises, until it becomes second nature.

Now this hs been established.

How long dose it take sombody to achive this with any given technique?

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Practice it until you are comfortable with it. comfortable on a level where you can apply it in sparring and modify it to you own needs.

9. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Thats cool. How do you define sparring when connected to rehearsing a technique in this way???

:)

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

good question. doing lots of full speed live drills is a good way to get a feel for it. but in sparring you have to be able to apply it in a live sitaution.
    Full Contact MMA Sparring. nothing less.

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

remove point 4 and say "can you use it against a resisting opponent"

12. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Same differance, but good point, way to save the political correctness!

13. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Yep drilling is the only real answer to learning atechnique.

Question would you consider Budo as mixed martial arts???? :)

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I've been told that a movement gets ingrained if you do it a thousand times. That of course can be taken literally or as just a way to say you have to do something over and over again many times before it becomes a natural/instinctive movement.

To get better at anything, you have to practice it. There are many ways to practice from working at slower to faster speeds, less to more resistance, at different threat levels (e.g. against knife, against grab, against punch, against kick, against club, against multiple attacker, one-on-one, against much bigger and stronger, against same size, against smaller), and under different contexts (e.g. in darkness, on cement, in a small room, on a padded floor, in a real situation, etc.).

For primary technique work, I would say that most of the time work at slower speeds against resistance to perfect your technique. To gain experience in the application of technique, work at higher intensities and speeds.

No, mixed martial arts is specific to covering all ranges of combat. Must have a way to deal with and get good at these ranges: punch/kick, clinching (stand up grappling), ground fighting. Some separate punch and kick ranges, and some add in weapons too.

Many martial arts cover all the ranges, but MMA uses the ranges as a basic concept or principle in training. To call it MMA you have to cover all the ranges.

Budo can address all ranges both in application and in philosophy, but I don't believe covering all ranges is considered a starting principle in Budo. So I would not call Budo to be a mixed martial art. What I mean is that if someone is studying something they call Budo, there is no guarentee that they are studying ground fighting for instance. If they study MMA you know they are studying ground fighting along with standup clinch range and striking ranges.

15. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

no, i don't think i would. see the above post. that about sums it up.

16. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Ok. :)

Are we talking combat sport MMA, or are we discussing actual life threatening violent and agressive fights?

I would consider Budo a mixd martial art, where and how ever it is practiced.

As it covers many ideas and ranges as you guys rightly say.

As a Budoka I know that I am able to fight my out from the floor or standing at close combat, with or without a weapon, I have the ability to kick punch, grapple, and defend myself in almost any circumstance. In fact I have done for real on many occasions.

We may approach the idea of Mixed Martial Arts from a diffrent perspective from the MMA'artists, but I would consider Budo mixed martial arts.

At our dojo we cover most of the above mentioned aspects of training. However we traditionally a Budo Dojo.

Do Mixed Martial Arts cover weapons??? as Im not quite sure? :)

17. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

well, either one, the differance is minimal. I think Budo has its roots else where, thats why i wouldn't really call it an mixed art. I mean, if its just a title you're looking for, then you'd have to cross train, extensively so, atleast thats my opinion.

most MMA gyms don't cover weapons, the gym i go to does a small amount of weapons {knives, sticks} thats it though, seeing as how it is a sport MMA gym. I think its up to the individual to cover the gaps in their training, or they will most certainly get beaten in the range they don't have. I'm doing my best to cover that gap, i mean there is no reason to train with broadswords or Kattanas anymore, but the things that are important and i'm going to encounter, i try to get used to dealing with.

18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Yes when you call something a mixed martial art, I think of MMA. As tekkengod said it is just a label.

I say avoid using the term mixed martial art for anything but MMA because MMA is a fairly well established thing these days with cage matches and other forms of competition going on. I mean if I was referring a student to your school and said it was a mixed martial arts school, they probably would imagine your training to be like an MMA gym, but having arrived there and finding a more traditional Budo type training, they may be confused as they aren't getting what they expected -- even if it is better.

At the same time, I don't like to limit Budo by calling it a mixed martial art. Budo should be a "complete" martial art... meaning it has everything you need to feel complete. Most martial arts were complete in their origins for instance, anything goes Jiu-jitsu, in my opinion, covering all aspects of close in combat.

I see Ninpo practicianers and I feel they have a fairly complete system covering different aspects of combat. Hapkido seems fairly complete too. Eclectic systems like Kajukenbo are fairly complete. And if in a system that does not feel as complete as you want, then there is always cross-training.

The idea of complete is not just training in all ranges of combat, but also for situations that might come about. MMA may or may not be a complete system because it may neglect aspects of self-defense... In my experience, however, most MMA if not all MMA schools do cover self-defense. I know one MMA school that is also Kajukenbo and Filipino Martial Arts so the students can train for cage fighting but also train in more traditional methods.

This is why I would not call Budo a mixed martial art, but rather a complete martial art. I still have old shirts from Karate and we had the characters of Budo on the sleeve. Did you know that Aikido was previously to be named Aiki-budo by Morihei Ueshiba? Budo is more than mixed martial arts.

19. Mufty

Mufty New Member

20. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Absolutly I agree its all about labels. However some labels may not accuratly describe the activity taking place. May be Cage fighting should be called let's say 'Cage fighting' this will help people stop getting confused, and they will get what they expect to get.

Agreed - thanks for that, this has given me an idea I could re-market Budo as 'Complete Martial Arts' He He.

Yea Morihei Ueshiba always considered Aikido as Budo. I think that he may have had a similar problem with labelling. He was alway having heated discussions with his son and other senior students regarding the effectivness of the techniques he was teaching, and he would say yes if you want that go do Jujitsu.

Although a 4th Dan Aikido I would not call it a Budo. I feel Aikido is more of a blending art, learning about movement and counter movement. The underlying principles of Peace and harmony put in place by 'O Sensei' have consistantly been under attack, and some Aikido is more like Jujitsu. these are my views. I could go on for hours about this. But I won't.

Getting back on track. Would you consider MMA effective in battle?