I dont know what this is?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GSHAMBROOKE, Mar 24, 2014.

1. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Never heard of it, personal thoughts are that this seems cult like, McDojo full of fakes and con artist and they seem to be saying that they can help,

•At-risk youth
    •People suffering from PTSD
    •People suffering from fibromyalgia
    •People suffering from depression
    •People going through addiction recovery.

Well I would like to know where their qualifications are for helping people with these kinds of problems.

http://www.shoushuonline.com/content/about-us

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Sooo embarasing.... why can't they pretend to be some other than chinese martial artists.....

Someone should arrest them for impersonating martial artists!

Sad really that they seem to be taking advantage of the ill and those less capable with their propaganda.

LFD

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Well that's depressing. Shame, its a cool concept to set up a group to help those sort of individuals. If I remember right Hannibal has some involvement with a group for training sexual assault victims and I always thought that was a really awesome thing to do. Then again, maybe it will help those people. I dunno.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

*Watches demo video*

Attached Files:

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

If you want a real blast from the past, check MAP's archives for Shou Shu. It eventually got so bad that the very subject was banned for a while because everything got so inflammatory.

That may have something to do with the practitioners who claimed that their art taught all of judo and karate by black belt and would allow them to easily defeat 23 attackers at the same time...

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought the demo video was pretty cool! Not inspiring in any way to seek out training there or anything. There was even the Star Trek double hand technique punch/maneuver in there!

And man, that chick can't make an ugly face in the photo you posted. Still hawt.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

My wife suffers with fibromyalgia. There's not a chance in hell she could do most of those movements on most days.

Some of those demo clips were kinda fun to watch though. Not good mind, but fun.

9. righty

righty Valued Member

I'm going out on a limb here ...

I agree the website is poorly worded. But there is some evidence that physical activity and having a hobby can help improve symptoms of the conditions mentioned.

Actually I reread it again and they claim the benefit is a result of "chi". Yeah, load of rubbish.

And then I went their facebook page and saw "bo staff".

I palmed my face.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I could barely get past their point that "fibromyalgia is based in psychological trauma". Which they alluded to multiple times on their "about us" page.

I still want to go punch a cow in the face having read that.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LAOKfxhywI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LAOKfxhywI[/ame]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

12. righty

righty Valued Member

See. Helps with depression right there.

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Are they....are they still filming on VHS??

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I wonder if advertising a MA primarily for treating ills breaks any laws? Like acting like a psychologist without a license?

I personally started MA to deal with a bad time in my life, and MA treated my depression back then better than the medications they tried to put me on- which made me ill.

But this site seems to take it too far. It is one thing to list "exercise is known to be good for treating depression" amongst other benefits and quite nother to make that treatment the focus point of one's MA. Almost like one is prescribing MA to treat alilments.....

15. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Imagine that prescription: "Take two shovel hooks and call me in the morning"