I am the center of existence

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Darzeka, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

My friends and I were drunk a couple of nights ago and I had a thought.

Existence goes on forever, without end into infinty.
    Then no matter what direction I look in then it will keep going.

So therefore I must be in the centre of it.

I am the centre of my existence.
    You are the centre of your existence.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Correct

Now then - how can we use this blinding insight?

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

drunk n philosophy...that proves...u r still in hangover ;)
    kiddin mate...
    -TkdWarrior-

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Maybe you can incorporate this knowledge in your MA traing and erm........... yeah what use is this :D

Its dangerous thinking when your drunk, apart from considering what am I doing with this blurred looking girl!

Last time I thought, I was contemplating about moving, when you move do you move or is it everything else around you that moves ;) I should stay sober more!

5. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I think you need to study drunken boxing:D
    (hey, it was a joke;) )

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

No, your probably right WOTD :D

I wonder how usefull it would be when your out drinking!?

7. wayofthedragon

hmmmm....that would be a scary sight....a very interesting sight, but scary:eek:

Hey Darzeka....Try it for us and tell us the out come will ya:D

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Ahh, the joyful human existence debate.

Actually you're the centre of a packet of vague impressions and sensory illusions that may or may not correspond with the real world. Then again that only applies if you actually exist in the first place, which you may not because it may be that you are simple one of the aforementioned illusions.

Too many philosophers in my physics class.

9. wayofthedragon

:eek:WoW
    CKD...You actually made me think....with that post
    Only very few people can make me think:eek:
    That's scary...........

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

lol@wotd... u never missed a chance to amuses me :) :D

the Quote by CKD is something to ponder at...a very good one indeed... i bet it's has something to do with juddy krishnamurti :D

just imagine why illusion?CKD can u explain...i would like to hear from u...
    -TkdWarrior-

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Quote? What quote?

Who's Juddy Krishnamurti?

However, working from basic principles there is one question that can prove the above. What do you know?

You know that you believe yourself to be real.
    You know that the you you believe yourself to be receives impressions from a world that may be real, or may be created to prevent you from going mad.

Taking these two points together you can nicely prove nothing is real except self, but since you can experience only your own self and no one else's only you can prove yourself to be real to you.

Unfortunately it all breaks down when you try to walk through a wall.

12. wayofthedragon

13. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I think realising this (my original statement) helps to give you a bit of perspective (taken from the fact that existence goes on into infinity). You essentially don't matter to anything beyond yourself.

You can't walk through the wall because everyone else beleives you can't and deep down you beleive that too.
    All eventualities have an equal proability until beleif is entered into the equation. You beleive something will happen and it does. If it doesn't then all the other "beleif" power around (all other conciousnesses) made it happen.
    There's just one problem after acepting this - you can't change what you believe, let alone anything else's.

What's a hangover? (I haven't ever had one)
    Still unsure what you asked me to try out WOTD.

Everything is real - all thoughts, dreams, ideas - somewhere it exists I am merely getting an image of it somehow.

I have absolutely no problem with being a figment of something's imagination.

14. YODA

I think...
    Therfore I am...... I think :D

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Its like the philosopher that had a dream about a bird flying. Then he contemplated; was the bird dreaming about all of us!

16. wayofthedragon

Wouldn't that be crazy though...If we really don't exist.....if we really are just the figment of someone's imagination. That none of this is real. and that we'll never know what it's like to be real...

:eek:

Scary stuff.....

But, I know that I'm real....hmmmm....I better be, I go through too much crap not to be real.

If not, I think I need to have a talk with mr. imaginative man and wake him up so his reality can continue.

17. Sean O

Sean O New Member

Man you have no idea how many people have brought this kind of thing up to me before. And I always give the same answer...

Whether we are in a real world with real things, or just, as you guys put it, the figment of someone (or somethings) imagination, we, quite simply, are.

Then again, perhaps existance doesn't really have to be some kind of matter... I mean if we are just a figment of imagination, we're still there, aren't we? Just rather than being in a book or something we're in someone's head...

...You can't walk through the wall because two solid objects can't pass through each other :) but I think I know what you were getting at...

The law of averages states that anything that can happen, eventually will. For example, one day some friends and I were chucking snowballs at each other. One of my friends and I threw a snowball at each other at the same time, and they collided in midair. The next two did the same thing. Unbelievable, but true.

This what you were saying? And if it was, what does it have to do with the thread?

Sean O

18. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I'm saying that we have been brought up with people telling us physics is real and they are hard and fast rules that can't be broken.

We believe this. Do these things happen because we believe they will or because of the laws of physics?

What if there are conciousnesses floating around (ones we can't see) that have the same or more "belief power" if they believe something will happen that is against what we believe and it happens it could provide a reason for it.

It is related to the thread vaguely because if I am the center of existence then shouldn't I be able to make it anything I want it to be? And if everyone else is the centre of thier existences and our existences collide would our "belief power" collide as well? Thus making what is the most popular belief happen?

I have a habit of trying to think of these outlandish things in an attempt to make my mind step beyond my normal style of thought (where it is just based purely upon what we "know" of our life). I am really just trying to find out everything and every thought I have is true somewhere so I have discovered something new.

19. YODA

Interesting thoughts Darzeka

What is accepted physics today was magic a few hundred yaers ago.

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Why not, its no more remarkable than all of the gas in a room turning up in one particular corner, which is also technically possible.

The problem is the laws of physics aren't accurate, merely good approximations of a system. The other thing is that these things happen even before there are laws to explain them (gravity for example).

Or as Arthur C Clarke put it, "Any sufficiently advanced science appears like magic."