How would you define Fitness? + Thoughts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by RaKzaroK, Dec 2, 2013.

1. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

Okay, so here goes.

How would you define fitness, extensively?
    What are the aspects of fitness for you?

For example, here is a link from an article I found, in my opinion, it gives a really good answer but I'm not the best to judge:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/conditon.htm

I'd really like your answers on this one, as many of you have a lot of experience in the fitness field.

Also, I'd be glad if you could tell me how to train every aspect of fitness, even when it's obvious.

2. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

Someone?

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Definition on the site: Fitness is the ability to meet the demands of a physical task.
    The defintion used by academics: Fitness is the peak ability to perform a specific goal

if my task/goal is to deadlift the 500kg possible, then fitness would be the ability to deadlift 500kg but i wouldnt be able to run a marathon super speedy cos that isnt my specific goal
    if my task/goal is to come first in the london marathon, then fitness would be the ability to come first. i wouldnt be able to or be concerned with deadlifting 500kg cos that isnt my goal

there are no aspects to fitness there are only goals.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  4. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

Cheers Zaad!

I agree with you, but I'm talking about all-around fitness and all-around athletes, who will be flexible, strong, agile, balanced and explosive.

or something like that :rolleyes:

5. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

That's just being athletic, no?

If we go by Zaad's definition it's how you apply these qualities to the task at hand that determines your "fitness" levels.

This of course assuming that the qualities in question are what the particular task demands. Fat load of good will they do you in a chess match, for example. :D

6. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

Yes.

I didn't even disagree on the first place.

I just wanted you people, as experienced folks, to separate "being athletic" into certain factors ( speed, strength, flexibility etc ) and give some examples for developing those factors.
    Instead, you are just sarcastic and speak generally. :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  7. Mangosteen

honestly mate. it's really easy, just google "needs analysis <your sport>"
    and then read that.

but the first thing you'll realise is that technique is paramount then your sport is determined by strength or endurance primarily

once you have figured that out, train the most applicable of those two qualities with the other trained at less frequency

e.g. for an american football player, as a beginner technique is developed first which will develop strength, endurance, speed, co-ordination, agility and balance just through gameplay and skill learning.
    then strength or endurance is focused depending on where the player is weakest while skill sessions will focus on the other qualities like co-ordination, agility and balance.

e.g. for a beginner in crossfit, crossfit training is technique based, then strength and as they become advanced it becomes endurance based.

qualities like flexibility, balance, co-ordination etc will be developed as technique is developed unless you're training child athletes (child athletes its best to train these qualities individually at an early age for long term development of an athlete but as an adult you should be reasonably co-ordinated)

actually. what was the point in this thread?
    do you want help planning a training program?

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If we're talking about flexibility, then I AM FITNESS!!!

Sorry. I'll go sit in the corner with my crayons.

9. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

At last a nice answer :)
    Solid advice.

Well, nowadays I like to understand how a training program is built, I mean, when my coach / sensei / whatever tells me to do something specific, I like to understand why this exercise / stretch etc.

So that later I am able to create a training program for me alone.

But yeah, if that makes you feel better and will give me more advice, then yes, I want help planning a training program :Angel:

10. Mangosteen

Well what is your goal for this training program?

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Yeah. Knowing you can can use crayons with your toes as well :rolleyes:

12. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Elliot Hulse's philosophy of strength is interesting. It has multiple layers-including psychological, psychological, emotional, nervous system, and several others.

13. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

I don't really know, I'm asking for general advice / guidelines to be able to create training programs to increase:

-Strength ( I actually know a lot about strength training and weight training so not much advice needed here )

-Conditioning ( Advice needed here and also, how would you define conditioning? )

-Flexibility ( Van Zandt's posts are fine actually, but advice is always welcome )

Now, for the other aspects of fitness, like co-ordination, agility, balance it seems to me you are right that they are trained while practicing your sport, but let's say the person doesn't practice any sport, but wants to improve them, what should he do?

I'm not talking about balance while kicking or punching, or while playing football, general balance/agility/co-ordination as a human body.

Thanks mate, I'll check it out :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  14. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

The average contribution to the next generation's gene pool. Wait, ah cripes.

15. Mangosteen

why would said person want to improve them? what are their goals?

you probably have enough balance, co-ordination and agility needed for everyday life already. vince gambetta is a good person to search up though in regards to "functional training".
    and just by lifting, a person will develop these qualities. it might be a good idea to take up recreational sport.

lifting - it's goal dependent but programming - explosive compound movements at low reps first (largest motor units) then more isolated movements at higher reps last (fatiguing units for best hormonal response). but thats dependent on goals as many heavy singles have shown similar hormonal responses while higher rep, lower loading slow eccentrics have also shown similar responses.
    for general health, heavy frequent lifting keeps muscle health (prevents sarcopenia) and prevents the loss of bone density.

Conditioning - crappily used term but it depends on goals again. most people have enough conditioning for general life but several studies have shown that HIIT intervals are best to start with (for better endothelial health) and then start slowly mixing low intensity work (for stroke volume)

im not going to reference anything because im not writing an article and i think you need to read up on those studies yourself.

for general health and not sport - stay active and have fun. mainly have fun. unless you have a specific health condition (in which case a rehab program by a doctor will be recommended).

16. Mangosteen

dude. everything is goal orientated. if yoou want to design a program you need to state your goal

17. RaKzaroK

RaKzaroK Valued Member

Oh my god.

I want to know generally HOW I will be able to create a specific training program to improve into any aspect of fitness, I don't want a specific program RIGHT NOW as I have told before.

18. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

First, you are contradicting yourself (in bold)

But, you are not paying attention.

You have to set a goal

The term "Fitness Training" is too vague or generic

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You have been told exactly how you create one - you have to have the goal in mind first then construct the program accordingly. Zaad has been a damn sight more patient with you than I would have been

Now either go create a program using the good advice you have been given or stop posting utter drivel like "general fitness" and other such tripe

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Simple.

You work and plan smarter.

;)