<--- How to protect the RIBS & Abdominal Muscles 101 --->

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by nasd90, Feb 23, 2019.

1. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

Fella's... please help, as I need it.

I've been taking BJJ for about a solid month now, and I'm sticking with it.

But here's the rub... I recently pulled my side abdominal muscle and/or bruised rib and I'm wondering how you go about really protecting that area ?

I find that when there's a FAT Person on top, and they always want top... that they just lay on you. I'm in pretty good shape, 6'2" 200, and lift 5-6 days a week, but this area is a weak spot. SUP helps tighten my abs, which I've started back up since I've been out of BJJ class for about a week.

So, my real question is... what is the best defense to protect your mid-section ?

I'm in attendance, so please chime in and begin this class.

THANKS FELLA's !

MOD NOTE
    Please don’t try and circumvent the language filter , this is your only warning.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2019
  2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Specific exercises for the core , cardio and keeping your arms/elbows in.

Ask your Coach/Professor to show you. Typical bog standard Side Control escape, is
    "A" frame to create barrier
    turn onto your side (facing the opp)
    shrimp to create more space
    swing lower leg in and under
    obtain guard.

But if you just got a big old bloke doing nothing but lay on you. Then take the 5min break and air your grievance.

axelb likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Don't twist your spine, don't exert 100% effort at the wrong time, if they're stalling, just stay safe, and think about baiting mount/armbars etc for your escape.

axelb likes this.
  4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Elbow/knee in, work on escapes when they attempt attack.

Someone heavier with good top game is going to be hard to deal with if they are stalling. If you're already training your body then there isn't much else you can focus on other than technique to not end up in that position.

5. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Been there! Getting stuck on bottom sucks, but it's gonna happen frequently. Work on guard retention (I find flow rolling really helpful for bridging the gap between drilling and sparring), and work on your game to try and take top more. Be assertive. If you do get stuck, don't be totally passive. everything you do should be working towards getting out of the position. Good luck :)

6. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

Thanks fella's for all the responses!

I gotta say though, Dead_pool you gangster, you hit the nail on the hammer again! I kept going through those two practices that day in my mind, and I don't remember actually getting hit; it was me trying to flip someone over from below. I remember twisting. Oh well, lesson learned. I'm still not in class, maybe a couple more days I hope!

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. Dead_pool

Good posture (plus good timing and lots of other things) = good BJJ.

axelb likes this.
  8. Mushroom

See, a good roll is that the guy on top, should be advancing position or something.
    Not just pin you and hold.

I had that, big 200kg+ guy with some wrestling background. I pulled guard and got side mounted. And he just sat there.

I tried to shrimp and move but he clung on for dear life. I noticed he didnt want to advance. I even said to him..
    "You wanna move? Or do anything?"
    "No".

So i literally went dead, legs straight and hands under my head. Just giving him the mount. But he refused to move. Longest 3min ever.

Then i aired my displeasure and said that was a waste of a roll.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Dead_pool

Random thoughts,

If the guy has got you pinned, and your trying to roll him off the way you described, personally I'd chill out in side control and wait for you to also chill out before moving.

It's generally good practise to match the intensity of your partner, so if you were very active and he wasn't, it might be because he was trying to cool the roll down.

Or maybe not!

Mushroom likes this.
  10. Mushroom

No, he literally bulldozed me. Got me in Side Control and proceeded to sweat in my face. I'm not exaggerating that he is about 200kg. And I'm not exactly small myself. I wriggled and shrimped but I was essentially a baby in a cradle. And that's when I noticed his attitude as I mentioned above.

He was an idiot.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  11. Dead_pool

^ sorry I wasn't clear, I didn't mean your post I meant the op!

Yep he the 200kg guy sounds like an idiot!

Mushroom likes this.
  12. axelb

Maybe his game plan is submission by sweat.
    Sounds like a waste of sparring time :(

13. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

Speaking of sweat and transferring bodily fluids... I got sick and the head instructor got sick last week. I haven't been sick in 6 years... you guys get sick just out of the blue?

I went last night for a class, first one in about 12 days, and I just chilled and it went better. Wasn't as explosive but I am learning I gotta learn more.

I'm going to wait until I'm 100 percent, my side has been at about 92 percent but I just had to go last night, or I would have fallen into a depression... lol. I feel so much better mentally by just going.

14. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

And hey... Mushroom... I feel for you brother. We have this fat purple belt, and a couple other fat blue belts that I"m like... if I was that big, I wouldn't dare strut my stuff anywhere but the treadmill. I have no respect for it, none. I'm 6'2" 200 right now, and have been 235 but when I was powerlifting so to speak, so I'm not small-ish. Just saying.

15. axelb

if someone is ill and it's contagious, then it's a higher possibility you will catch it.
    The same goes for any school - my kids come home frequently with the current illness.
    I have had far too much experience of respiratory related illness, so I know when it's coming and I will rest/avoid group activity, but a lot of people will power on.

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

So, only people of perfect weight get to do martial arts? Martial arts is a workout and a path to losing weight and a path to self improvement. It is not for you to judge who gets to do martial arts. Or whether they should use a treadmill instead. Martial arts is for anyone who wants to do it. You don't get to be the arbitrator of who gets to do what with their lives. Focus on yourself and your development.

Learn to fight every body type- bigger, smaller, taller, shorter. Don't be a poor sport because you don't have the skill to avoid being pinned and held. Learn how to avoid getting in that situation instead. You sound like you are lashing out because you don't have the skill to counter it.

I lost a match in a push hands tournament a few years ago by someone using brute force instead of good technique. (Something not considered good Tai Chi Chuan.) A fellow student tried to console me by pointing that out. I replied that if I had sufficient skill, I should have been able to counter the brute force with better technique. And it pointed out a flaw that I needed to improve.

Don't make excuses, don't lash out at others, it's weak. Use any - and I mean ANY - situation to learn to improve.

BTW, Someone who admits to quitting drinking a few months ago shouldn't be so judgmental of other people. None of us is perfect, we all have some sort of thing going on to work on improving.

Martial arts is for everyone! You don't get to decide who gets to do it or not.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

The instructor didn't reset you? Or encourage the guy to do something?

When things get to a standstill like that, when people in various sparring/ grappling/ push hands classes just do some sort of standstill thing, our instructors usually do something about it. Say something, reset the match...

18. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

Fat is fat, period. Obesity is a growing epidemic which won't be helped with the attitude of 'everyone deserves a trophy'.

19. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Telling fat people they shouldn't do physical activities isn't going to help, is it?

When you open your own BJJ school you can ban fatties. Until then learn to deal with it and maybe don't be a douche about your fellow students.

Frodocious and aaradia like this.
  20. Dead_pool

So the coloured belts will be able to smash the hell out of you, and that's why they got the belt, not because "everyone deserves a trophy".

On the mats, that's what matters, nothing else.

Frodocious likes this.