how to get speed in your punches

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by findurinsanity, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I am sorry but you are missinformed. Adding weight to a movement like a kick or a punch can actually seriously damage the motor patterns required for the unweighted movement you are actually practicing for, be it a punch or a kick etc.

Your reasoning is based on pure pseudo-science at best.

It is a common opinion amongst the best strength coaches around that training a specific movement with additional weight will ruin the motor patterns.

If you want to check out some books I recommend Supertraining by Mel Siff, or you could look at it from a purely neurological point of view and pick up a Neuroscience book - there is a particularly good book out there by Kandel and Schwarz, but it's more of an academic book.

Because it improves anerobic endurance. Which allows them to work at their max speed for longer durations. They DO NOT make them faster.

2. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Another way to add speed to your punches is to throw punches in a pool if you have access to one. I had a membership at a fitness center for about two years were virtually every week I threw punches and kicks in the pool for close to an hour after swimming. I no longer am a member but I have seen some benefits as a result of doing this.

As for the weights I recently got some wrist weights and was thinking of wearing them when I train (particularly shadowbox) however some of these posts have made me think of reconsidering though.

3. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

That's actually incorrect. Mass will resist acceleration in any direction.

Aside from that I do disagree with 'weighted' punches, although not really speaking from much experience I'd imagine the added tension will only slow you down and teach your muscles bad habits.

4. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Also I recall reading some of Bruce's writings where he clearly stated he was against holding weights for the exact reasons people have mentioned. He did use weighted rings over the forearm for certain things as you are adding resistance without having to change the way your arm is tensioned compared to the real technique.

5. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

i use the power push up cord resistance thing. no weights. this peice of equipment is very helpful and helps with body mecanics.which is the key to punching power and speed

6. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Things like that do work, but with me its a matter of good, better and best.

GPP (general phyiscal prepardness) and SPP (specific physical prepardness) should be kept seperate most of the time.

Increase your GPP in the weight room, and increase your SPP by practicing the technique unmodified. This yeilds the best results. When trying to combine the two, both suffer.

Increasing your GPP alone will give you a substantially greater base to work with for your SPP.

Simple training theory lesson for the day :D

7. JKD_15

JKD_15 New Member

I agree with you on this. I'm an avid runner, and I've been told by many people, and even some doctors claim this, that running will tear up your joints, and it's just better to take a long walk.
    This is not true. Common sense, and a little Tai Chi Chuan :D tell us that when you first start to run you just need to take it a little at a time, run lightly, and build your body up in a slow and natural manner.
    Science and technology is ever growing, and though many people will disagree with me on this, some things were, and have always been and always will be right, like the fact that our bodies are wonderful things, and if we treat them right and learn strenious things slowly and carefully, we can do just about anything. Besides flying. Maybe. lol

8. Shen Yin

Shen Yin Sanda/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Well, relaxation and then tension at the point of impact is one of many ways to train in this speed manner. Quite a few response posts on here pretty much covered the subject, but I have my own manner as well.

The way that I think of it is to see your target, right.? Now, imagine that your hand is already there, within the bullseye position that you're viewing. With that said, simply keep the "idea" that you are trying to yank your hand backward FROM the target point now, as you've "already hit it". You're essentially "recovering your strike", not hitting it, per se.

As weird as it sounds, it's very effective. After several tries, you'll eventually get it and end up becoming quicker in the process. Of course, this method can only be done with the Fa Jing mentioned above (relaxed---tensed).

9. ImperialDragon

ImperialDragon Banned Banned

Starting from the top.

Into_the_abyss, Depends how you punch the bag. If you do it wrong you'll be slow. Air punching is best, punch bag to test power absorbsion, shock, rebound etc.

johndoch, wont help at all.

eMTe, needs a teacher.

Simplicity, good - now know Chi Sau.

Simple, that's complete rubbish.

Simplicity, very goo...

Tel, truth - sort of.

Faster_than_you, good it's. And you're correct.

Simple, Tommy Carruthers isn't very fast - quite easy to get there. Your last statement is
    misleading.

Prophet, First you're wrong, then Benchpress, rows, pullups, dips; rubbish

JKD_forever, you're wrong - obviously never met anyone good. You will.

Faster_than_you, that's also rubbish.

That'll do for now, can't be bothered to read anymore.

Dragson

10. Shokku

Shokku Banned Banned

My dad recommended I use bubbles in my training. Yes, bubbles. He's a boxer, so I tried it.

Practice punching the bubbles. It really helps with speed, and you'll notice a signifigant difference in how quickly you can find, and hit a target in sparring.

note 1: You probably already know this, but do not attempt to hit the bubbles as if they were a heavy bag. This will result in injury to your elbows.

note 2: You may want to get someone else to blow the bubbles for you... it's a lot easier. I believe there are machines that blow them for you, from the ground? That would be even better.

11. Shokku

Shokku Banned Banned

That would atually be kind of cool... I may actually try that, being the unstable individual I am. ^_^

12. Shokku

Shokku Banned Banned

Dude...

I'm naturally fast, but that doesn't mean I can't develop that and become faster. So, why can someone with less speed not become faster?

I don't mean to attack you here, but what logic could you possibly have behind that statement ??

13. Splush

Splush Valued Member

Are those the ones you put around your back? If so I've heard that thos are bad to train with because it isolates your arm, and when you punch you punch with your body not just your arm.

14. shadowlin

shadowlin New Member

15. Topher

Topher allo!

Speed will come naturally. A punch with speed but no technique is kinda useless.

16. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Please explain.

No no, wait. I DEMAND a detailed explanation.

17. Len

Len Valued Member

lol this thread. Oh well....at least it's better than a thread about what NHB fighter of today would lose to Bruce Lee. :rolleyes:

18. Dodge

Dodge New Member

I'm not so sure about what you're forcing on everyone here. Boxers, pro and amateur, train punching with weights to improve power and speed

19. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

There are many cases of exceptional athletes with inferior training methods. Bruce lee, Ali.... just to name some of the biggest.

Any instructor/coach who knows anything will tell you not to punch/kick with added weight.

20. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

To end this arguement once and for all:

Can anyone who is on the side of "punching with weights is good" tell me how punching with weights effects the body on a cellular level. I need detailed distriptions of the central nervous system adaptations, also the endocrine and metabolic factors involved. You will need at least a basic understanding of biological chemisty and a good grasp of kinesthiology.

Using these areas of knowlege, youll will provide for me scientific rational as to why punching with weights is good (for whatever reason).

I'm willing to bet that noone on here can do this :rolleyes:

Prove me wrong.

I dont want the usuall anecdotal garbage either. None of the; "if you say it doesnt work, then why did it work for me" rubbish.

So whos up to the challange? Who can provide solid scientific data and explinations that prove punching with weights can have a positive outcome on performance (long term).

Oh whats that? noone can? :D

Thought so.