how the heck is tim sylvia the champ in UFC

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by gracie22555, Jun 5, 2006.

1. gracie22555

gracie22555 New Member

i look at him, and i just dont see it. hes got a lanky build, and some belly fat. he doesnt look like he hits as hard as some of the heavyweights either.

you would think it would be simple to beat him, being that lanky build. just take his legs out, and do some ground work. but no he always gets lucky and gets a lucky punch. he must be stronger than he looks or something.

anyone else think sylvia is a mediocre heavyweight that just stays on top through lack of competition.

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I've got a better question...What's this gotta do with Health and Fitness?

Move to Fight Discussions.

3. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

what the hell are you talking about he doesn't hit as hard as some other heavyweights? Almost all of his fights he ends by KO...

4. freak

freak Valued Member

there are no good heavyweights in the UFC, they would all get murdered in Pride FC

5. Sever

Sever Valued Member

He's the champion partly due to the fact that people underestimate him BECAUSE of how he looks. Ricco Rodriguez took him lightly the first time, the second time he won the belt was because Andre Arlovski got stupid and tried to chase him down after he hurt him (every time Arlovski's lost it's been for the same reason). Arlovski will pick him apart in July again
    I'll freely admit to not being the biggest Tim Sylvia fan, but in no way would it be "simple" to beat him - with his reach, KO power and takedown defence, many top heavyweights have struggled.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  6. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

I don't like pride as much. It seems to me the fight a little sloppier. The whole thing just has a different "feel" then the UFC.

7. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Pride generally has much better fighters than the UFC, so while you may view it as sloppy they are generally more skillful.

Not to mention I love their tournaments and their "Free-weight" fights allowing for a way to see who really is on top.

But back on topic...

Sylvia has a lot of things going for him, he has reach/height, power, skill, and maybe a bit of luck.

By no means is he a bad fighter, or even marginal. He is very good and though Arlovski is probably better, we will see.

8. flyingknee

flyingknee New Member

the guy trains with matt hughes and pat militech just to name a few all the time. you cant keep up with those guys if you are only mediocre

9. stump

stump Supersub

<<<Pride generally has much better fighters than the UFC, so while you may view it as sloppy they are generally more skillful.>>>

It depends on the weight class as to which organisation has the better quality. Pride has it in the Heavyweights no doubt. Light-heavyweights its pretty even imo. Middleweights I'd give it to the UFC. Dunno if there's any Pride middleweights who'd trouble Franklin - Bustamente maybe but can't think of any others. Welterweight I don't think Pride have anyone better than Hughes, St. Pierre etc

I don't think Sylvia could survive in Pride, but although he gets a lot of slack he comes accross as a genuine guy in interviews. No doubt he played a perfect game against Arlovski and won because of it but he's earned everything he got so good luck to him for it. He deserves to hold the title for a bit - but I doubt he'll have it too long :)

10. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

agreed

btw i have trained with tim...he hits real hard and he is huge

he will take it easy on a guy like me (less size) but he can hurt you by accident

11. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i dont know if the pride has more skilled fighters or not

i used to think so but a pal of mine talked about it.....and
    1.alot of pride guys have not had much success when they did fight in ufc......the pride great vanderlai silva lost in the ufc...tito, and vito

also chuck lidell won th e two pride fights he was in.

now while we have the feder and the cro cop in the pride.....we got silvia and arlovski in ufc....

also the pride fights stack some of there undercards with japaneses fighters that are of qestionable skill....there are even some pro wrestlers form japan in it.

so is one clearly better who knows...it would be cool if they did a "world seris" type thing.....national league v american leigue.....pride vs ufc

alternating rule sets each year

12. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Vanderli Silva lost in the UFC, however he has since evolved(he was very young) and really has improved. I would bet on him against anyone of his weight in the UFC now.

Fedor would destroy botk Sylvia and Arlovski, and Cro-crop would as well.

Chuck LOST to Rampage Jackson when they fought in Pride, but did beat Overeem and Mezger. I have questions as to Liddel beating Silva since Silva has beaten Rampage by KO.

Pride also pays much better, so it would make sense if the fighters followed the money.

13. Vigilance

Vigilance Valued Member

Sylvia is not the best looking or best conditioned fighter, but he hits like a truck and is incredibly tough. Watch the fight against Frank Mir, when Mir catches him in an armbar from the guard and ends up snapping his arm. Sylvia is ****ed when the ref stops it, he was ready to continue fighting after someone just broke his arm. He is one tough dude.

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

He does look like a stiff doesn't he? He's got about the most unorthodox fighting style I've seen (not that I've seen that much).

15. jfreelancer4706

jfreelancer4706 New Member

i want to fight tim sylvia....

if i was ever good enough to get into the ufc, i would go straight for tim sylvia.
    i would pick him with one hand and slam him through the octagon...

no, but seriously, he is pretty hard to knock down and hurt at that point.

but andreis' done it twice and he can do it again. he just has to finish it once

sylvias down. he underestimated sylvia the last fight. if andrei loses again i

might have take after andrei and kick sylvias butt. ill go norris on his ass.