How old must a child be before I can condition his shins?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by ShadowHawk, Aug 24, 2011.

1. andym

andym Valued Member

Is it me, but, I worry that the question has been asked in the first place !

2. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Not a day before he turns 31 years old.

Until then let him be a kid and do whatever sports he wants.

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

seriously, though, I don't think you have to worry. When he sees daddy doing muay thai, he'll naturally want to copy :)

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Unless daddy has a body that has broken down with all the shin-splints, weighted backpacks, shin conditioning and other miscellaneous nonsense....

5. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^haha, very funny

and Kuma, when the kid is 8 or 9 or ten, add that to the years of training I put in

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Well, funnily enough, children tend to copy adults regardless of how moronic the adult's behaviour is. Witness republicanism.

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I wouldn't do it all.

Kicking a heavy bag for training will condition whatever needs to be done.

Please don't hit your son with sticks/do anything stupid.

8. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^thats common sense,

nonsense like hannibals post

9. Hannibal

Or your training

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

From a lot of your posts, if you don't back off and use some common sense, you'll be using a cane by then.

Ask your instructor this question. They will tell you the same thing: Wait until he's an adult.

11. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^why do you think I ask for advice on here? I take the advice

and I would think someone that is 37 would be more mature than how hes acting one here (hanibal)

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Just because someone does not like your training methodolgy does not make him immature.
    Any advice given here is just that. Advice is given by fellow martial artists based on the experience they have, it is not medical advice.

My own opinion is that any conditioning of shins is not necessary, other than that gained from sparring and bag work (even for adults).

13. Hannibal

You have only jut dropped a sprog and you are planning on when you can condition his shins - I think that immaturity us something you would be very comfortable with given those parameters

14. Simon

Okay lets leave the bitching out of it and actually do some research to correctly answer the OP.

Here is an arguement against conditioning youngsters shins and the reasons why.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/12964/ask...ditioning-and-mrsa-skin-infections-in-mma.mma

If you want your child to fight professionally, then this is what has to look forward to (if the gym does conditioning).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X98Gbf9FFhQ"]Shin Conditioning @ MetroFlex Gym-Ft Worth MMA - YouTube[/ame]

All in all it is a matter of personal opinion and choice.

15. Simon

Our resident flexibility expert Van Zandt said this in 2008.

Now Benny the Jet is a legend, but obviously he has had to pay a price for that conditioning .

16. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Too bad there isnt a block user button so I dont gotta read Hannibals ridiculous nonsensical posts

You need to focus on your 37 year old self and leave me be.

Simon S thank you, by Shin conditioning all I meant was hitting a heavy bag with his shins btw, I dont beleive in that roller trick to do it. After reading that article my initial thought were correct, conditioning a childs shin is out of the question since the bone will stunt in growth. Thanks to those that contributed intelligently to the thread.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  17. Simon

ShadowHawk, I bought the subject back on track, don't bite and keep a silly arguement going, just ignore it.
    You got a reply you didn't like, that's all.

This is the Health and Fitness section, we are the good guys.

As for the shin rolling, I would run a mile.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  18. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Everything Simon said.

19. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Slip I respect your opinion but in this case there have been cases; albeit extremely rare, of bone damage at a young age due to extreme conditioning or training. Just like bone scarring from using rolling pins on shins, you're not just dampening the nerve sensitivity, you're thickening the underlying bone in many cases. Think of a karatekas using a makiwara repeatedly causing damage to the joints in the hands, there have been cases of sarcoma's developing in very young long distance runners.

Sarcoma being a malignant tumor of the connective tissue, usually a tendon or a ligament. While I would say the vast majority of sports related training damage would be similar to a stress fracture or an unusual thickening of the bone, there have been isolated cases of tumors arising from over conditioning.

I have been in the medical field for 30+ years in radiology and radiation sciences and seeing these rare tumors could be purely coincidental due to their rarity, proving they were caused by sports might be difficult.