How necessary is hard/full contact for realistic training? Why?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hazmatac, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark linu

mark linu Valued Member

Training is always a helpful term for us. Martial art is that type of sector from which we can learn how to protect ourselves in danger period. So, training will be necessary and helpful for us.

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Uhhhh....there just happens to be a thread on there right now that some guy started a couple days ago about WTF/ITF & how he doesn't like one of them and.... there's other stuff.

Doesn't seem to be going too well for the thread starter.Wonder who it could be?

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

hmmmm...let me think.......

4. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

Bouncers were afraid of this man. He always sought after the biggest guys and abused them. One super heavyweight in amateur boxing was beaten badly and sent to the hospital. Another - The most qualifed martial artist in my country in terms of merits (both striking - Kickboxing (champion), and jujutsu (5 time european champion), judo e.t.c), pressed charges against this point fighter in karate.

He had no other background than his Karate.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Shenanigans - that is all

6. itf-taekwondo

I thought you asserted quite clearly that Karate is NOT an inferior art (You are probably alone in that opinion). Yet you can't believe a world champion finalist in point fighting beats full contact guys.

I am confused... You only think kyokushin and it's off springs are not inferior?

7. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

We can't believe in things where the standard burden of proof has not been met. It's something we have a strong emphasis on at MAP. If you can't do that don't expect any of your posts to be taken seriously.

8. itf-taekwondo

What has that got do with my question? Nevermind if its coming from me or not.

You think point fighters can win though? If someone claimed thaiboxers beat up karatekas I doubt anyone would ask for clarifikation and proof.

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Are you having trouble understanding the concept of burden of proof?

10. itf-taekwondo

I ask the question indepenent of myself relaying the story.

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Do you understand burden of proof and why it is important?

Are you having difficulty understanding it?

12. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

OK I have experience in both Shotokan and Kyokushin and I have never heard of any Shotokan competing in any open knockdown competitions... (Sorry not in going into the ridiculous on the street thing) and both arts work at different ranges.

Some overlap as I have some success with long range Shotokan stuff i.e. Kicks and sweeps but were they will fall down normally is with the close range that most Kyokushin guys fight at and lack of experience with low line kicking, lack of full contact conditioning and not being used to using continous combinations rather than the usual stop start of typical Shoto sparring.

Its a two way street as most Kyokushin knockdown fighters would be too slow for semi contact competition unless they also compete/train in clicker..... I truly hate clicker which is Kyokushin's semi contact but even that has changed recently to include leg kicks and face punches...

Out of interest what is your level of experience in both arts?

13. itf-taekwondo

The thread is about realistic application - the street/reality/defence. Karate falls short in that regard, in my opinion. Kicks are very good and were implemented into kickboxing. Punches in kickboxing however were taken from western boxing.

Point fighting suits some people in transitioning to reality. But full contact prepares anyone.

14. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Really... Some overlap but nothing will prepare you more striking wise than impact training.

Being used to taking a hit and working under pressure is fundamental also if they are training Semi-Contact they are used to pulling their strikes which due to muscle memory they will also do if it goes south in a real scenario.

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I disagree.

Full contact prepares you for full contact in the art in which you train, but that doesn't always translate to "the street".

Full contact doesn't take into account many factors found on the street.

Different types of aggressor, posturing, the pre-fight, weapons, scenarios, extreme language, multiple apponents and so on.

16. itf-taekwondo

Thats the common criticism - karatekas are not trained to "finish the job". I am not sure its semi contact though... semi contact means you are allowed to hit you opponent as long you dont injure or knock him out.

Karate is light to no contact... a person delivering connected blows to the face has exhibited "lack of control and may get warned".

in my TKD training it varies between light to semi contact - big international torneys like WCH is always semi contact.

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This isn't specific to Karate and if you're talking about "the street", is "finishing the job" always the desired outcome?

18. itf-taekwondo

But simon, light or semi contact doesnt factor in your list either. Full contact however prepares you to take hits. I fail to see how its not prefered over light/semi contact.

19. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Not always IMO, Getting away from the situation is but if you can't descalate or escape, finishing the job until the threat is neutralised is paramount....

20. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Since I do point sparring can I claim to have destroyed a full contact guy? I have sort of. Of course I also do boxing, and we were in the ring. Boxing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.