How much of Western culture influences Japanese culture?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Apr 29, 2012.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Interesting.

Can you give some examples?

Thanks

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Anime

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Not really. Western culture has had animated films for nearly a century. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was released in 1937 and cartoon series like Tom and Jerry have been around since the 1930s. So animated films and TV series aren't something the west imported from Japan.

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Depends how culture is being defined.

5. Moosey

A very enigmatic statement. Tell me more.

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

The first cave paintings where french I think, that doesn't mean all paintings are french culture. Does it?

7. Moosey

That's my point, I believe. You were the one who gave anime as an example of something the west imported from Japan. I made the point that the West already had animated features at the same time Japan was experiementing with animation.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I don't know anything like that, that originated in japan.

9. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Read up on Osamu Tezuka and Disney. I'll wait. :)

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I knew that I just forgot to read 'trace back'.

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Influence in animation is a two way street. It's not somehow mutually exclusive to either country/culture. Though stylistically now the west has stood up and taken notice in the last few years of particularly Japanese stylings for animation and illustration... the whole animae/manga style is an example. It's not without a certain irony if you consider the Osamu Tezuka/Disney connection.

12. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Japan was one of the first Asian countries to open to the West. This took place back in the mid to late 1800s. At the same time the West tried to open Korea as well, but they resisted strongly, hence the nickname "The Hermit Kingdom". Also during this time frame the West looked at China as a HUGE opportunity. Since Japan embraced the West & the benefits that came from trading with it, they not only opened up by expanded their military capabilities. This resulted in them having the largest Navy in the world, after the British & Americans.
    The Western Imperial Powers & Japan agreed to an "Open Door" policy with respect to China. Korea sitting between 3 GIANTS, Japan, China & Russia, became an important strategic location. As a result Japan fought 2 wars with China & Russia over Korea in 1894-5 & 1904-5. Japan would use Korea as a stepping stone or bridge to China, whether Korea liked it or not. Well they did not like it & the West, including America turned a blind eye when Japan annexed Korea & then made it a colony of the growing Japanese Empire. Teddy Roosevelt, through his then Secty. of State Taft, signed a secret agreement where America would stay quiet with respect to Japan's control of Korea, while Japan agreed to do likewise with the American interest in the Philippines.
    Once WWII ended, Japan was occupied for several years by the US military, led by Gen. MacArthur. This led to perhaps Japan's greatest influence from the West, as the USA helped to write & establish the Japanese Constitution, along with their new government. I would say that this was the BIGgest influence of the West on Japan, hands down. I think it is apparent when many on the world stage view Japan as a Western Power, even though they are located in The East!

13. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I think the silk route was around before Japan was heard of in England.