How much could you learn in 5 months?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by nintyplayer, Jul 23, 2013.

1. nintyplayer

nintyplayer Valued Member

I've been doing kung fu for a while and during sparring I've always done well while striking. However, a lot of people I spar with like to take me to the ground, and I've found that I know nothing about ground-fighting.
    At the University I attend, there is a one-semester long BJJ class. It's 1 hour twice a week. What could I expect to learn in that amount of time, and would it greatly benefit my ground game?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

A little bit is better than none! Although in all honesty, if you wanted to not get taken down in the first place, freestyle wrestling is probably a better bet :)

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

You'd learn more than if you didn't study at all.

Sometimes, even just picking up some basic concepts that will help you get back to your feet quickly can be easily trained "on going" after your term ends.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Yes training on the ground will benefit your ground game, since out of 100 you know 0 ground game, a term of bjj will at least triple your ground game skills, and let you know what 100 feels like.

5. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

You know, if you take that class you could end up turning to the dark side. There is something very compelling about BJJ and grappling.

6. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

im looking at a bjj class near me, as an aside i cant remember how to start a thread, help please, you dont wanna be on the ground, but if you are i expect its better to know a bit

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

3 * 0 is still 0 though. :)

in all seriousness...i'm of the belief that any honest training in any art is beneficial.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

thats why I said at least!

9. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

I'm someone who was a Kung-fu practicioner that turned to the bjj "dark side". lol Its tons, of fun and quite possibly the best martial art I've ever studied.

If you're looking for it to give you a beast takedown game. you're in the wrong art. While your takedown defenses will get 3x better don't expect to be anything close to college wrestlers. Maybe with tons of practice you can be at the level of a decent Judoka.

However this should be more than enough for an average gung-fu artist, aside shua jiao players.

What you will be better at is controlling the ground when you do get there or finishing the fight from the ground, at least a little.

10. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I have personally taken stand-up grappling techniques I practiced for a few hours only and then used those new techniques in self-defense successfully at work a few times. While I already had about 5-6 solid years of MA experience before doing that, I also saw untrained coworkers do the same thing. So I'd say you can learn a heck of a lot depending on how good the training is, how good your training partners are, and how quickly you master athletics.

11. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Depends on your school. Mine is 50/50 takedowns and groundwork, and all rolling starts from standing position.

12. roninmaster

damn lucky Gracie students!!! :(

messed up part is, I'm in NY for the weekend but due to baggage claim loosing my stuff I didn't get my gi and belt back until way too late to drop by any dojos. :cry:

13. mattt

mattt Valued Member

We have both come in down. Monday nogi lunchtime will be amazing probably a couple of ufc guys, maybe a champ or two, dozen or more black belts.

I just rock up when traveling and if they don't have a GI then I buy a cheap tshirt and roll nogi

14. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Just to run it in.

Just finished an awesome nogi class. GSP joined us today. 3 nogi mma friendly takedowns followed by controlling a guy who is standing up 2 ways followed by 5x5 minute rounds from standing.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Been doing Judo a few hours a week with a Team GB member for a coach (including private lessons) and I've just about nailed one throw lol. My advice? Pick one move you like and drill the crap out of it.

16. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

You will learn basic techniques such as armbar from the mount position and from guard position, rolls, you will learn the basics of triangle choke as a white belt but will not perfect it until you reach the blue belt level. You will learn mindset of focusing on BJJ instead of anything else you have studied. I had to learn that.

Remember don't worry about how quickly you learn, its what you learn that is important. BJJ is more about the journey than the destination. At least it is for me. Hope that helps.

17. roninmaster

Why must you torment me!!!! I'm already back in Ohio.:cry:

18. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Next time you are in town send me a PM. Don't let things like lack of gear stop you coming to training.