How many USB devices do you have plugged in at one time?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by murphy81, Nov 2, 2006.

1. murphy81

murphy81 GM COMPUTER SERVICES

I was plugging in a few USB Devices, as you do, and got wondering -

How many do you have plugged in at any one time? And how many is recommended as being safe at one time?

I currently have 7 devices plugged in, with at least 3 or 4 that i'd need to use every so often.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I dunno - about 3 or 4 plus 3 or 4 firewire devices.
    Granted the firewire devices only come on if I need them... otherwise no sense in burning up the electricity. No point to keep lots of device plugged in. That's the beauty of plug-and-play devices. Plug them in only when you need to play.

3. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

It's probably best to remove the ones you don't use to often. Though there may not be any reason why you can't keep as many plugged in as will fit :confused:

I only ever have the one in constantly, and that's my net. But then I'm on a laptop and move around quite a bit, anything plugged in = more to move. I'm too lazy for that :D

With the amount of ooo-able USB devices around these days I imagine it's quite normal to have 6-7 plugged in at a time

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

minimum of 5 - I have 16 usb ports

5. Victoria

16 :eek: That's a lot of coffee warmers :D

I've just got rid of my old PC which had...2 :bang:

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Only got 4 things plugged into a hub normally (external hdd, mouse, webcam, printer) but occasionally have usb pens plugged in too.

Not too much and easier with the hub - unplug one usb cable and I can move the laptop.

7. Victoria

Why didn't I think of that :bang:

Cheers Anth ;)

8. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

my laptop only has 2 ports, so I use a 4way hub in one, and the mouse in the other....

The pc has 3 on front of the tower, 7 on the back, 3 on the monitor, 3 on the keyboard

:D

I've yet to fill them all, but I'll get it one day

9. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I agree I have 7 devices and only 4 ports. I paint the USB connector to color code my devices.

10. murphy81

I have 18 USB ports in total - I have 2 mousemat/USB hubs which light up purple (Yeh I know...saaadd) and have 5 ports on each, 4 ports on my laptop, and a digital clock with 4 ports on the back (amazing what Tesco sell these days :D:eek:)

I dont have that many devices that are needed all the time...dont usually keep my webcam, printer etc plugged in unless needed. also have a wireless mouse which uses a USB pen that is plugged in all the time.

11. Victoria

A digital clock with USB ports? In Tesco?! You're kidding right? :D

I've only got 4 on my laptop...

12. murphy81

Nope, they do some really cool stuff in there at the moment, got 2 mousemats with 5 USB ports in each, and light up purple - look really cool in the evenings! :eek: Only around £6 each aswell....clock was the same I think!

Also do 256 MB USB Pens, which are actual "pens" aswell....who'd have thought it!

13. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Um....normally just the one (net). Most I will have is 3. The only others I use are my PS2 controller adaptor for PES and my Eye-toy for a web-cam.