How long does it really take to get a black belt?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by Lafhastum, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Keikai-Tsutsumi

Keikai-Tsutsumi New Member

Black Belt

Sorry.

I simply answered the question on how long it takes to get a black belt. Different schools, different styles and different arts are all different was my point.

Greg Palmer

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i agree. and i would add 'different people' to the list.

3. Sho_Stylin

Sho_Stylin Valued Member

3 years 6 months when with TAGB

4. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

It took me 4 & 1/2 years training on average 2 hours per week. More in the immediate lead up to gradings and the hours spent on the theory at home/work/wherever.

5. SheathedSword

SheathedSword Valued Member

I never took TKD and have always stayed away because I feel the ranking system gives false hope. Any school that will give you a black belt in 3 years or less is not one I would join. I started my training in American Combat Karate and to get a black belt it took a good student 7 - 10 years. How could you possibly compare a black belt with 3 years of training vs a black belt of 7 + years of training. The answer is you can't. The black belt students at my old school were untouchable even as I climbed up in rank. I took AKC for almost 5 years and was only a little more then half way to black. Sadly many schools hand out belts to keep their students interested so they continue to pay.

6. TKDjoe

TKDjoe Valued Member

False hope for what? :confused: untouchable? :rolleyes:

7. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Firstly, take off your rose tinted spectacles.

Secondly, recognise the point of the thread. It is not to say that black belt a is better than black belt b purely based the amout of time taken to get there. That is an entirely objective view, given differing bodystyles and ability.

The point of the thread is to ascertain time taken of non-mcdojang members to reach 1st degree.

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

now you're generalising and that's a sign of not being open minded.

so, if we follow your way of thinking, we could say that the schools of your martial art don't give black belts to students unless they train 7-10 years, in other words they want to ensure the money income for years and years.

9. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

American Combat Karate?
    http://www.safetytechnology.com/comstock.htm

10. Ninja01

Ninja01 Becky

It takes about three years at my school. You test every three months, of course that depends on whether the person is actually ready or not. Once you get to red belt its five months, then the black tip, then another five months untill your black belt. They won't let you test for black belt unless you are positively ready.

I don't think three years is too short, your 'real' training doesn't start untill you become a black belt. Thats how I was taught. And I agree.

11. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Going by the time lines at our school, in theory it could take 3.5 years. As grading times are just minimums and standards and skill and the ability to 'hang' with fellow grades are also taken into account, its more likely 4 to5/6 years.

In fact the first studnets to take thier black belts took ariound 6 years: http://www.raynerslanetkd.com/REPORTS_Dan_Grading_March06.html

Stuart

12. kenpoist

kenpoist New Member

It took me less than 2 years, due to having prior experience (started at the purple belt level ). I still had to go back and learn all the beginner techniques and forms. I had a good foundation in the another art, which allowed me to accelerate at a faster pace (strong stances, crisp kicks and punches etc...) I don't feel there should be a set time frame. Many schools give you a belt every 3 months regardless of whether or not you can actually defend yourself (going through the motions). Maybe there should be other way's of testing people.
    If a person is a black belt - they should look like they know what they are doing. When you are looking at a new school, look at the black belt's and watch how they move - this might help in one's decision to join that particular school and be a postive reflection on the instructor.

13. StuartA

Prior experence can often mean a quicker learning process (if you have studied at a decent shool before) and is a different thing from white to black belt from scratch.

There is... the first is for the examiners to show some integrity and the second it to make sure the gradee actually knows what they are doing, as opposed to looking like they do!

Sorry, but I feel they should know what they are doing, not just look like it!

Stuart

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  14. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

15. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

16. zoltan

zoltan New Member

My school is about the same 7 years. For 2 years? Thats an awful lot of belts to go through in 2 years. Let alone 4 years. As you get higher in belts it should take longer to test. The money grab is to much to pass up i guess for some places.

17. StuartA

We just held another dan grading and the same again in years for the student that past.. around 6!

Full report here

Stuart

18. As soon as I read that sentence I knew that Colin would have passed. He won't even know me but, whatever. His twisting kicks bloody hurt! :D - Many congratulations Mr. Anslow.

19. StuartA

Im sure hell remember the the physco TKD student with girlie hair :p

Ill pass the congrats on to him, thanks Rags.

Stuart

20. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

Stuart, do you ever take seminars outside of the smoke?