how long between testings?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by abby, Jan 18, 2004.

1. abby

abby New Member

i know the answer is going to be "when you are ready to advance", but on average, how long is that for a person.

the dojo i'm going to start attending has tests every 2 months. how do you know when you're ready to advance from a white belt? (white belts don't really spar, all the others do, but i don't want to rush things either.)

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

We test every 2 months. I don't think my SBN really looks at color belt tests seriously. I'll do my form kind of bad sometimes, and he'll still pass me, just give me a harder test next time. I haven't seen a black belt test yet, but the ones that go to our school really know what they are doing.

PL

3. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

my school tests every 2 months.

4. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Whenever my school has tests, no one completely fails - anything that needs work is retested in a fortnight.

5. tkd_princess78

tkd_princess78 New Member

My school is every two months except Jr and Sr deputy (the last two belts before Black Belt that is every 4 months

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

there are 3 testing dates in the year (March, June, December). the time period that has to pass between two belts differs

lower white
    1 month
    higher white
    2 months
    lower yellow
    3 months
    higher yellow
    3 months
    lower green
    3 months
    higher green
    4 months
    lower blue
    4 months
    higher blue
    5 months
    lower red
    6 months
    higher red
    9 months
    black 1. dan

the attendance is important, i.e. your skill. if the instructor doesn't think you are ready, you can't test. but if u r allowed to test, it doesn't mean 100% that u will pass. sometimes the instructor tells u for example that u r between passing and failing and it's up to u decide whether or not u'll test.
    students get 3 marks: technique, form and sparring.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Our school has a monthly test, tho you can't test that often. Generally, if you go to 3 classes a week, 1-2 hours per class, the schedule between testings is 2 months minimum up to brown belt, then its 4-6 from low brown-hi brown-low red. Then from low to high red its 6 months. Then it can be up to a year from low red to black. All these numbers can be changed based upon your ability or lack of initiative. Good luck.

8. WorldChampTKD

WorldChampTKD New Member

2-3 months, when you get up high then more like 6-10 months

9. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Sounds like mine is about like Kwaj's.

The school has tests every month, but it's a fairly large school (about 360 active students), so most students don't test. You can only test if you have been recommended by an instructor, so they are watching and evaluating progress and attitude every day you train. Average students test every three months for lower belts, then gradually longer time periods (4,5,6 months) for higher belts. There are only 3 opportunities to test each year for blackbelt or for Kumdo rank advancement.

If the Master Instructor has recommended you, you are ready to test. I like that, because it takes all the pressure off, about having to guess if you're ready or not. Plus, since I trust my instructors, I don't have to get impatient, either--I know I'll get the recommendation in due time.

If you have any question about if you are ready to test, I suggest you talk to your Instructor about it. He has the experience to evaluate your progress and know where you are and where you should be. That's why he's the instructor.

10. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

the higher your rank, the longer it will take in between tests. White to yellow can usually be done within two months but I honestly believe that a minimum of four months in between ranks is necessary and a minimum of at least 9 months from brown to black. this is assuming you train consistently and at least 2x/wk

11. Mifune

Mifune New Member

We test four times a year. White belts can grade as soon as they know stances, basic techniques, four direction punch, etc.

2nd to 1st kup is a minimum of 3 months, 1st kup to 1st dan is a minimum of six months, unless by special invitation (like me!).

12. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Suggested (UKTA) criteria based on a part time (4-6 hours a week) student. By no means definitive.

Waiting times indicate minimum suggested training time at each grade.

10th Kup: 2 months
    9th Kup: 2 months
    8th Kup: 2 months
    7th Kup: 3 months
    6th Kup: 3 months
    5th Kup: 4 months
    4th Kup: 4 months
    3th Kup: 5 months
    2th Kup: 5 months
    1th Kup: 6 months

1st Dan: 18 months (1.5 Years)
    2nd Dan: 24 months (2 years)
    3rd Dan: 36 months (3 years)

13. Dcma:Jesse

Dcma:Jesse New Member

Our school tests the second friday of every month.
    (white, yellow, orange, green, blue, red, brown, brown/black, black) thirty classes untill you get to green, fourty from blue to red and red to brown, and then six months to brown and black, and six months to black. I am a second degree, newly, and it takes two years to be able to test between degrees. My instructors are only a third and fourth, so I have yet to see how long it'll take later.
    this is my first post, so hello everyone.

14. Ara

Ara New Member

up until about red belt it seems it's around 3 months per grading...after that it can take any number of months to get to black tag, black belt and then there is another system implemented for the dan grades

15. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

Our school (USTF) does every 2 months also. I think it is 6 months with red belt, and 6 more months with brown belt (last 2 belts before black).

16. Din

Din 3rd dan

in my dojo is every 3 months but 6 from red to black.
    when you have mastered or at least memorize and can correctly do all your required techniques then your ready

17. HitNRun

HitNRun New Member

At the establishment that I attend, it is 3 months minimum white-brown. From brown to high brown- 6 months, from high brown to black- a minimum of 6 months.

So in theory, if you are talented and you start your journey in either March or September with the earths moon in strict alignment with saturn with mars rising with mercury falling, AND you go to class and test every opportunity and pass, AND you don't get sick and/or break yer femur, then you could (in theory) go from your first class to 1st Dan in three years.

Not to brag or anything, but I'm considered a very good tester in my school. In the 11 tests I took as a color belt, I never once froze during form for example, and none of my belt test were an embarrasment to me personally. I work hard in class and I missed 8 classes in 4 years (except the month I was out when I broke my foot sparring-but I didn't miss a belt test) and it still took me four years to BB. I only know of one person who made it less than 3 .5 years and that person was very talented. Adults seem to have a harder time with respect to the time thing than kids. The three months minimum from white to yellow (it took me 4 months) seems to weed out those who are not serious.

18. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

In my dojang testing is every two months but when you get closer to black belt the testing will be every four or three months.

19. gumby

gumby New Member

We test every 2 months 9th-7th gup, and every 4 months 6th-1st gup. Then we have a recommended black belt for 4 months, which is basically a time period for getting ready for the black belt test. You don't learn any new forms, just reviewing everything.