How does one make Deashi Harai a higher percentage technique?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Hazmatac, Jun 5, 2014.

1. GenghisK

GenghisK Jiu Jitsu Kempoka

I disagree, or at-least this fantasy has worked for me for years, and the foot sweeps I have seen in mat based Judo (and Judo derived JJ styles such as Shorinji Khan / TJF are really quite large).

A lot of modern Jiu Jitsu is reconstructed partly from competition Judo, which I think is why a lot of that sort of powerful but high risk technique is now so prevalent in JJ practice.

G

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

1) works for you where, what context are we talking about
    2) if you talk about footsweeps as high risk, whats your example of low risk?
    3) whats your experience with classical jujutsu to enable all this talk of battlefield jiujitsu?

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The "foot sweep" can be a good "door opening move" - a move that can create many other opportunities.

In fighting, the "foot sweep" takes the least amount of risk for the following reasons:

- Even if you don't sweep your opponent down, you have interrupted your opponent's forward attack.
    - When you sweep your opponent's leg up, that leg will jam his back leg, and he can't apply any leg skill on you at that moment.
    - As long as you can separate your upper body from your lower body, even if you miss your foot sweep. it won't affect your own balance.
    - You can use it to set up many other attacks (such as "front cut - Osoto Gari" by attacking his other leg).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bDuztfCL8g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bDuztfCL8g[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  4. fthl

fthl www.jitsu.me

Don't know how to make it work spot on, but I've been nailed with it by our senior dans and decent judo dans to know it can really work. In hindsight, the most uncomfortable version was done to me as a kick defence.

In any even, it is brilliant. How to get good at it? Honestly? Probably randori and lots of time with someone who is good at it. Be that a jitsu dan or a judo dan. The judo guys are really very good at these type of sweeps.